Author Topic: '90s Schwinn Cruiser reproductions  (Read 26042 times)

sportyrb

'90s Schwinn Cruiser reproductions
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »
I'm trying to find more info on the Schwinn Cruisers built in the mid to late 1990's. I remember back then talking to my local Schwinn dealer and they told me that the bikes were built as closely as possible to the old balloon tire models that had been made in Chicago. I'm wondering first, how accurate that info was. I'm assuming that they were not built using the same tubing and electrostatic welding techniques used in constructing my 1980 Made in Chicago Schwinn Cruiser, but did component items match up (crank sets, forks, racks, etc)? Were the dimensions the same?

Also, who built these newer bikes for Schwinn (Giant?) and how do they stack up quality-wise, say compared with both the old balloon tire Schwinns and the newest bikes? Just curious. I've found a '90s Cruiser 6 in pretty clean shape that I'd like to possibly use for a Rat Rod project and daily rider.

Offline island schwinn

• King of the Mountain
Re: '90s Schwinn Cruiser reproductions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
i have a cruiser deluxe from 2000.it's a nice bike,but quality isn't near as good as the chicago bikes.i'm not sure who built them for schwinn.the components in my experience will interchange with the older bikes.tanks,fenders,forks,etc. have all been used to restore the old black phantoms.if you see a black phantom for sale,chances are there are repop parts on it.the most impressive thing about my cruiser is the 7 speed rear hub.

by the way,welcome to the forum,brian

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!!

I also have a Cruiser 7...  I like it!
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

sportyrb

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »
Well, I got the bike. According to the guy I got the bike from, he got for his wife back in 1999, and it is a Cruiser 6. She barely rode it, and it's been hanging in their garage since, so finally, after bumping his head on it enough times, it went up for sale. According to Bikepedia, in 1999, the Cruiser 6 was available in either Black/Cream or Copper/Cream, yet this bike is entirely black, with silver pinstriping. All the original decals are intact and in mint shape, including the dealer's sticker, and I can't believe someone would go through the trouble to repaint and then reapply all those decals, just not worth it.

The bike has the knobby looking whitewall tires except that, unlike my later Chicago-built Schwinn, these clearly say Cheng Shin on the sidewall. The derailleur appears to be low end Shimano, probably Tourney. The shifter is an SRAM Gripshift. The grips, not very padded, say Schwinn on them and the seat is a mongo padded unit embossed with the Schwinn logo. The handlebar also has foam rubber covering it, which appears factory, between the aluminum stem and the controls. Lawyers designing bikes perhaps? The brake levers are a plastic/alloy mix, and the brakes themselves are cantilevers of some sort. The frame does have bosses for the cables which I find a nice addition.

The crankset looks like the one on my Chicago bike, but as if it missed the final finishing. The Chainwheel looks like mine as well. I did not look closely at the gearset and hubs but assume those to be low end fair for the period. The rims are alloy, wider than those on my mountain bike.

All in all, I believe it is well worth what I paid for it, and it should make a decent starting point for a nice daily rider/Rat Rod.

Thanks for the replies.

sportyrb

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
I forgot to mention, it has a fork that looks like the old blade style, yet different at the same time.

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
Do you have pictures??
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

sportyrb

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:57:35 AM »
I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow. I want to get some of the bike, as I got it, before I start messing with it at all.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:24:04 AM »
Some of those mid 90's bikes were built in the USA, Scott Sports Group owned Schwinn at the time. I can't seem to find the link I had from a manger that explained everything he knew about where the bikes were made. It seems to me it was the same factory that was making either Yeti or GT frames, Schwinn owned both. Wish I had book marked it where I could find it. In 2001 Pacific Cycle bought out Schwinn/ GT and shut down any and all US manufacturing and moved everything to China or Taiwan.

Here's one interesting link but it's not the one I'm looking for.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Schwinn-Cycle-and-Fitness-LP-Company-History.html

sportyrb

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »
Some of those mid 90's bikes were built in the USA, Scott Sports Group owned Schwinn at the time. I can't seem to find the link I had from a manger that explained everything he knew about where the bikes were made. It seems to me it was the same factory that was making either Yeti or GT frames, Schwinn owned both. Wish I had book marked it where I could find it. In 2001 Pacific Cycle bought out Schwinn/ GT and shut down any and all US manufacturing and moved everything to China or Taiwan.

Here's one interesting link but it's not the one I'm looking for.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Schwinn-Cycle-and-Fitness-LP-Company-History.html

Interesting article, and yes, I would like to see that other one if you can find the link. The link you provided does give some mention of a high-end Black Phantom, but didn't give much more in the way of details. I'm going to guess that this bike was made in Taiwan or China, based primarily on little things, like tires and such. That said, it would be interesting to find out if it was made by Giant, or by the other Chinese manufacturer that Schwinn was using back then, before the sale to Pacific, which of course, this bike pre-dates.

Speaking of the current line-up, are there actually two different tiers of Schwinn, one being the bikes sold through shops, and another being the big box store bikes? Are the bikes themselves, especially when it comes to the frame, any different, or just painted differently and with different model names? Just curious on that one, as I almost bought a new Cruiser 7 a while back.

sportyrb

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
Here's a couple pictures of the bike.

The bike itself...

The Chainguard and Crankset...

100th Aniversary Edition decal...

Shimano Tourney SiS Dérailleur...

Padded Seat...

Here's my 1980 Schwinn Cruiser single speed...

Offline island schwinn

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 12:59:31 AM »
i was riding my deluxe and passed by a small antique shop today.they have that exact 95 cruiser with fenders for sale.675 bucks :o

sportyrb

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
Is there any site out on the web that might list the production figures/numbers or further info on this bike, particularly in regards to whether the bike would have been made in China or at Yeti's factory?

Offline Charlie

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
Definetly two lines of bikes. They leave features off box store bikes. No frame size choice, quick release missing on
back wheel. R & L on cranks so cashier can tell right pedal from left. No warranty or call 800 number for help.
Bike shop models have warranty at bike shop.
1886 50" VICTOR, 1888 52" Expert Columbia,
1886 51" American Star
1892 54" expert Columbia,
1895 Model 43 Columbia Tandem,
1968 Schwinn Mini Twinn
1968 Schwinn Run-A-Bout Green & Brown
1974 Schwinn P-15 Paramount
1979 Schwinn P-13 Paramount
1988 Schwinn P-13 Paramount Frame Set
Schwinn Dealer 1966 - ?

sportyrb

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
Definetly two lines of bikes. They leave features off box store bikes. No frame size choice, quick release missing on
back wheel. R & L on cranks so cashier can tell right pedal from left. No warranty or call 800 number for help.
Bike shop models have warranty at bike shop.

Thanks for the reply Charlie. Bikes in the "cruiser" category have historically not had frame size choices (other than tire size differences), even back in the Chicago days, and I can't recall ever seeing Schwinn "beach cruiser" models with things like quick release hubs, leastwise not from the factory. What I wondered about in that sense mostly was frame construction. I've seen enough Pacific department store bikes with fractured frames due to poor material choice, that I would hope the bike shop models were different in this area from their lesser dime store lookalikes.

Offline r8rs4lf

• Training Wheel
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
That single speed looks to be in pretty good shape paint wise. Nothing like having gears though. I got rid of all my single speeds except for my California cruiser.

Looking at your pics, I do have a question.......

What is the point of having part of the shifter or brake cable exposed? I know this was done on old Corvettes. Does anyone know why?