Author Topic: Schwinn with 3 speed internal hub  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Dan D

• King of the Mountain
Re: Schwinn with 3 speed internal hub
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
Nice speedster !
Dan
My bikes: 1958 black/red Deluxe Hornet , 1962 3 spd. black Traveler, 1974 3 spd. chestnut brown Suburban, 1977 sky blue Paramount & a 1991 red Schwinn Cross-fit.

Offline ranchero

• Junior Pro
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
Jake - That bike is in very nice shape and the beautiful "sky blue" too. Good size.

When I find Speedsters or Suburbans of that era I often have to replace the damaged or missing rear "tombstone" reflector. Yours looks intact without damage. I'd keep that bike original. Great find; enjoy it.

- ranchero -

Offline steelwooldust

• Training Wheel
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
Geez, that's a nice bike.  Congratulations, and enjoy it often.

-Chris
Breathing new life into old junk.

Offline chris-y777

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
Very nice bike and price! I'd like to add one of them to my collection some day too. Chris
Thank goodness for this forum. I'd be lost without it.

Jake

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
Thanks everyone. I gave it an initial cleaning, sealed the paint on the chain guard and hung it in the rafters for the time being while I put the finishing touches on my Voyageur. I started off this spring with one bike in the garage, and now have six. I think they multiply when I turn off the lights.

Offline chris-y777

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
Thanks everyone. I gave it an initial cleaning, sealed the paint on the chain guard and hung it in the rafters for the time being while I put the finishing touches on my Voyageur. I started off this spring with one bike in the garage, and now have six. I think they multiply when I turn off the lights.
Last year in April I only had 6, now I have 82. But I am trying to "thin" the herd. My chopper number has dwindled down to a manageable number again, ha-ha! For a while I was buying everyone that popped up on craigslist and I think I drove the price of them up in my area. Now all of a suddon they stay listed on there for months, imagine that. Sorry off topic, i have a few old old outboard motors myself ;D! Chris
Thank goodness for this forum. I'd be lost without it.

Jake

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I cleaned up the chrome on the wheels last night and they look great. Schwinn sure didn't skimp on the thickness of their chroming. After I completed the de-rusting I took it for a spin. Braking is terrible but I've read that's pretty standard for those S-6 steel rims. The gearing is wickedly tall, there may be a new rear cog in my future. Not sure about the riding position either. I'd put some drop bars on it to see what that does but I really hesitate to do anything that modifies the original setup of this bike.

Outboards are fun, they also seem to multiply in your garage if left unattended.  ;D

Offline Eric Amlie

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »
Very pretty bike! Sky Blue is my second favorite Schwinn color. My favorite is the slightly darker Radiant Blue which was a few years older, although they co-existed for a few years in the early-mid sixties.

Your brake blocks are no doubt dried up and hard with age. These will improve your braking enormously.

http://store.yokozunausa.com/screbl.html

Here is one source for larger cogs for your rear hub to lower the gearing.

http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/cogs/index.html

I use a 22 tooth on all of mine. It is the largest cog that Sturmey offered as they felt that anything larger could potentially generate enough torque to damage the hub internals. The 22t makes the gearing much more comfortable.
Wanted: 1963 Schwinn Superior

Jake

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
Eric, will that 22t allow clearance for the chain as it runs past the trailing edge of the chainguard? I was looking at it this morning and it appears to have a bit of room to upsize the cog. Thanks for the link on the brake pads. I definitely need them.

Offline Dan D

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »

I use a 22 tooth on all of mine. It is the largest cog that Sturmey offered as they felt that anything larger could potentially generate enough torque to damage the hub internals. The 22t makes the gearing much more comfortable.

I agree with Eric 100%, I finally got around to using the 22 tooth cog, made my racer a whole new ( much more enjoyable ) bike !

Lots of room on the chaingard !
Dan

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:20:51 AM by dan d »
My bikes: 1958 black/red Deluxe Hornet , 1962 3 spd. black Traveler, 1974 3 spd. chestnut brown Suburban, 1977 sky blue Paramount & a 1991 red Schwinn Cross-fit.

Jake

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
good to know. I will be ordering the cog and the brakes. I'm very intrigued by the love given to these 35+ pound EF framed bikes. Time to get this girl in shape and see what the fuss is about.

Edit: apparently bikesmithdesign is in my neighborhood. Hopefully I can just pick up the cog.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:54:09 AM by Jake »

Offline Dan D

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
good to know. I will be ordering the cog and the brakes. I'm very intrigued by the love given to these 35+ pound EF framed bikes. Time to get this girl in shape and see what the fuss is about.
Keep us posted  ;)
Dan

Jake

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »
Saw these tires today. Will this fit the Schwinn S6 rims? Reads 26 X 1 3/8 (1 1/4). which is what I believe they designate as S6.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11066151
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:08:53 PM by BobHufford »

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
  • I roll on 27s
    • SLDB
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
Saw these tires today. Will this fit the Schwinn S6 rims? Reads 26 X 1 3/8 (1 1/4). which is what I believe they designate as S6.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11066151
They should ... or should I say might.  It would help to know the ISO sizing as the box markings are confusing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Bob

Jake

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
Thanks Bob,
I checked for the ISO sizing when I was there tonight with my daughter. No luck. I might just but one and see if it fits. I see these are available everywhere which would be useful if they do in fact fit.

Another question, are Shimano Nexus cogs interchangeable with S/A cogs? I've read that they are but figure someone here would know for certain. I'd prefer to stick with S/A cogs, but so far my attempt to contact bikesmithdesign has been unsuccessful and the only other place I found that has them is in the UK. I'd like to have a backup if necessary.