Author Topic: All Chrome bike  (Read 7092 times)

Offline spookyxyz

• Training Wheel
All Chrome bike
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:34:35 AM »
Has anyone seen a Sears all chrome bike?  I think it was made by Murry and had fleetwood (could be incorrect on that) on the chainguard.  It was a diamond frame three speed that shifted by turning the right grip.  It was from the 60's and the fact that the bike is completely chrome is amazing and it is completely original. The chrome is in excellent condition with the only pitting I saw was on the 3 speed hub and a bit on the fender braces.  I don't know what it is worth, nor do I care, but I think it is one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen.   If the price is right this will be in my stable in the next couple of days.  My apologies to whomever I stole these pics from on Google.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
Re: All Chrome bike
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:08:38 AM »
There was one on the Central New Jersey or was it South Jersey CL within the last few weeks. That's a pretty cool bike. I love 3 speeds. If it was made by Murray the quality can be lacking. You could probably find something like that for $50 to $75 if the chrome is good condition. Some of the earlier Sears 3 speed bikes from the 60's were made by Raleigh and then later by Puch or Styer of Austria. Good luck.

Offline twomorestrokes

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »
That's cool. Sears had a few all chrome bikes, notably the Murray-built Spaceliner which is one of my favorite middleweights.

Offline spookyxyz

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »
I had the privilege of looking at a Murry spaceliner also. It was definitely as sweet looking bike but it isn't for sale. 

Offline twomorestrokes

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »
It's near the top of my want list but the prices are getting high. I almost bought a red one until I stumbled across my Jaguar.

Offline spookyxyz

• Training Wheel
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »
I finally broke down and got this Murray built, Sears distributed bike.  The front brake caliper has been replaced with a weinmann as the original was messed up but other than that it looks to be mostly original. I might have to contact sears with the part number to find out the year.  Original owner parted with it a few months ago and I got it second hand.
333 shimano 3-speed hub
Troxel, Moscow TN seat
Wald bow pedals (maybe NOS replacements  ??? as the person has a good source for vintage NOS bike parts)
NOS western flyer EA-3 tire replacements with some minor cracks but it is obvious they have never been on the road.
Sears metal headbadge
Remote chance of getting the owners manual if the guy can find it
Had a flawless chrome NOS Nammax Corp headlight  ??? still in the box thrown in on the deal.
The frame looks like it has some sort of plastic coating over the chrome that is missing in some spots but doesn't come off.
This bike sure has some WOW factor to it and is in excellent shape considering the age.  Especially since the whole thing is gleaming in chrome.  I would love to take it for a ride but with the salt on the roads this bike isn't going out anytime soon.  I can't wait to try this hand-grip shifter set-up out.

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
Congrats on the purchase!

More pics when you find time ...  ;D

Bob

Offline spookyxyz

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
Here you go Bob  ;)  I have to drill the hole a bit larger on the bracket for the headlight before I can attach it to the bolt on the bike.

Offline spookyxyz

• Training Wheel
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
more

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
That is so cool.

Thanks for the additional pics!

Bob

Offline Eric Amlie

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »
Sharp looking bike!

Can you say Bling?
Wanted: 1963 Schwinn Superior

Offline Echo_Delta

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »
Congrats!!!!   Very cool bike!
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline farmallman

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »
Sharp looking bike!

Can you say Bling?

True, True, but at the end of the day its still a Sears bike.    ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding.  Very good looking bike
4 Continentals(yellow,copper,burgundy,blue), 2 Collegiates(burgundy,brown), 4 Varsities(lime(2),orange,copper) 2 Suburbans (1 FFS)(brown(1), black, 1 Sierra(flamingo), 1 Racer(green), 1 Traveler(red), 2 Typhoons(red, black), 1 Deluxe Twinn(violet), 1 Super Le Tour(white), 1 Deluxe Hornet(blue), 2 Le Tours(blue, red), 1 Unicycle(chrome), 1 Raleigh Twenty(green), 1 Bantam(red), 1 Sprint(yellow), World Sport. (blue)

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
Very nice looking bike. The quality looks pretty good too. Here are some links to sites that have Sears manuals. If you can find the Sears number on it then there is a possibilty you can find the manual. The Sears number is usually on a plate but it may be stamped into the frame. The first three digits identify the type of equipmet followed by a decimal point and then the other numbers identify specifically the piece you have. Sears is quite good at that if you have a number. I own a lot of Sears equipment and finding the manuals for the old things have surprised me a few times. You can even Google a Sears number sometimes and find info about the equipment. 8)

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/owner_manuals

http://www.hammerwall.com/

http://www.online-owners-manual.com/sears-owners-manuals.html

Offline Geeeyejo

• Junior Pro
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
Nice bike!  I had a red Sears 60's single speed with the integral tank light that looked a bit like a Spaceliner.  I too love the Speceliners but do not believe that any of them came with a multi-speed rear hub - a deal breaker for me for any serious riding - although great to look at.
Good luck and have fun with her...
1955 Green 3 Speed Tiger
1962 Red 3 Speed Corvette
1969 Red 5 Speed Stingray Fastback
1972 Campus Green 5 Speed Suburban
1976 Lime Green 10 Speed Custom Varsity
1979 Red Spitfire 5
1979 Suburban Brushed Steel Fixie
1994 Iron Horse MTB
1997 Gary Fisher Red HKEK
2011 Citizen Tokyo Folder
2011 Downtube 9 Folder