Author Topic: ATT:Corvette 5 Speed Owners  (Read 297321 times)

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: ATT:Corvette 5 Speed Owners
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
Is anyone familiar with this Corvette 5 speed? I have the pics saved in my picture files and it sold on eBay not to long ago. I later read something about it in maybe a bike forum where the new owner shared some info about his new purchase. The only info I saved was it is a 1962 model sold on eBay and sell price.

Any info on the bike or its owner would be appreciated!

GT

Note: Check out the original derailleur. It has the rounded arrow and the four spring tension lugs.
Update: Just saw that the bike below was posted on Craigs list before eBay.
Posted 2 months, 1 week ago around Wenatchee, WA on craigslist  11/22/10

This bike sold on Ebay a few months ago for $1,550 + shipping. Nice bike. IMHO might have brought a touch more in a radiant, but that's personal preference of course.

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »

Offline Geeeyejo

• Junior Pro
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »
Hey thanks for the invite - I was the lucky winner of the 1961 "Barn Find"
ebaysell gcrparts1         G167935        07/28/1961     Black   Unrestored barn find original  S.P. $499.00
Here's the details:
Picked up this 61 original 5 speed Corvette on Ebay - was a little pricey at $500 + Shipping but super original and essentially complete minus a usable rack and headlight. Even better, bike was built 3 days after I was born - 7/28/61 - had to have this one. The original paint is pretty shot - some light rust and many scratches and all the brightwork was covered with a good layer of rust. The original Mayweg rack was missing all but the side rails and needs replacement.  The plan is to repaint entire frame, new decals and clean rest of components. Had the bike a little over a month and here is the progress:
Disassembled entire bike to bare frame - removed surface rust to clean metal on rear frame legs and will chemically strip balance of frame next.
Removed all rust on rims, crank sprocket, crank, derailleur, pedals, handlebars, neck, seatpost clamp. Fenders are stainless and will need some small dent removal and polishing. Restored entire base of seat - replaced springs, crash rail, painted carriage - will look to touch up vinyl cover but it looks pretty good now.
Before pics:
I obtained all of the decals and went with a Rustoleum primer/black lacquer/Clearcoat laquer. Figured I would play with the chainguard first - original was pretty bad with a gouges and bad chrome - I picked up an identical pink guard from a 61 girl's middleweight, stripped it and primed, sanded then 4 coats of black lacquer, decals and then clearcoat - looks pretty good IMHO - thinking of a few more coats as I can see the edge of the decal. Frame was sanded with 60 grit, cleaned with rubbing alcohol and now sits with a fresh coat of prime awaiting paint. Real happy with this so far - I grinded any surface rust and seems super smooth now after just primer.
Just won a correct Mayweg rack on the bay - steel parts are pretty rusty but should clean up nice.  Just need a nice light now and new brake and shifter cables.
1955 Green 3 Speed Tiger
1962 Red 3 Speed Corvette
1969 Red 5 Speed Stingray Fastback
1972 Campus Green 5 Speed Suburban
1976 Lime Green 10 Speed Custom Varsity
1979 Red Spitfire 5
1979 Suburban Brushed Steel Fixie
1994 Iron Horse MTB
1997 Gary Fisher Red HKEK
2011 Citizen Tokyo Folder
2011 Downtube 9 Folder

Offline Geeeyejo

• Junior Pro
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
Work so far:
1955 Green 3 Speed Tiger
1979 Red Spitfire 5
1994 Iron Horse MTB
2011 Downtube 9 Folder

Offline Geeeyejo

• Junior Pro
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »
Forgot to mention - original Westwind whitewalls in good rideable condition that were on the bike were really a bonus.  I did however obtain 2 new Kenda whitewalls to put on when I reassemble - figure I'll hold on to the original tires so they don't get messed up.  Thinking the same about the seat - the original 3 rivet Deluxe Messenger was only used in 1961 and hard to come by - hate to mess it up parking my 220lb butt on her! - thinking of picking up another black and white "S "seat to use when I finally ride her to keep the original nice...
1955 Green 3 Speed Tiger
1979 Red Spitfire 5
1994 Iron Horse MTB
2011 Downtube 9 Folder

GTs58

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
Geeeyejo! Thanks for your visit and your 61 Corvette information! I appreciate your added contribution.  8)

Sounds like you are making great progress on cleaning her up. 8)  The bike is definitely worth the cost and effort IMO. I'm really curious as to what is stamped on your rear hub and the type or stampings on your freewheel. I started out with basic frame and I'm trying to nail down what exactly Schwinn installed on all the Corvette 5's rear drivetrains. Any input would be very helpful!

GT

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »
-snip-
thinking of picking up another black and white "S "seat to use when I finally ride her to keep the original nice...

Actually, they made that seat from 59 - 61 and they aren't that hard to find. I have several. In 62 they went to 2 rivets and after than, no more rivets.

Cliff

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »
Quote from: GTs58 link=topic=4526.msg18434#msg18434 date=1290746981

[b
Actually it was from 1958 to 61. And these seats in good condition are hard to find.[/b]

In 58 they didn't have the S on the seat and the white was a simple squared off part on the front. The S seats came out in 59.

Cliff

Here is a pic of a very rough 58 deluxe seat. I do have a "new" cover for it though, and can straighten and restore the bent frame. I have new chrome springs for it.

GTs58

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »
For the most part I think you are right Gunner. Again as Schwinn very well could of done, and did, a late 1958 Stamped frame was equipped with the new S style 1959 seat. This is what makes the correct dating of these bikes so fun.  ;D
When I was reserrecting my 58 Corvette I went thru some interesting finds on all the changes GM made to that car in mid production. The early models had the hood support on the right and then near mid production they installed it on the left. And at the time they changed sides for the hood support, they also changed the mounts for the generator. So if your early 58 had the later 58 gen brackets the hood support would hit on the genny tension bracket when you tried to close the hood. Corvette Central has manufactured a special hood support just for the early 58 Corvettes but it seems that piece is wrong and that GM just used the same support thru out the 58 production year.  

Fun stuff!  ;D

GTs58

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »
Geeeyejo, are you going to restore that Bowling Green license plate? That piece is priceless!  ;D  GM moved their Corvette plant to Bowling Green (Kentucky) for the production of the new C-4's. You have to restore it and keep it on your Corvette!  ;D

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
For the most part I think you are right Gunner. Again as Schwinn very well could of done, and did, a late 1958 Stamped frame was equipped with the new S style 1959 seat. This is what makes the correct dating of these bikes so fun.  ;D
When I was reserrecting my 58 Corvette I went thru some interesting finds on all the changes GM made to that car in mid production. The early models had the hood support on the right and then near mid production they installed it on the left. And at the time they changed sides for the hood support, they also changed the mounts for the generator. So if your early 58 had the later 58 gen brackets the hood support would hit on the genny tension bracket when you tried to close the hood. Corvette Central has manufactured a special hood support just for the early 58 Corvettes but it seems that piece is wrong and that GM just used the same support thru out the 58 production year.  

Fun stuff!  ;D

Yeah, I used to restore and rod tri-five chevys, vettes and camaros. Chevy was bad enough all right, but Schwinn takes the cake for using parts you don't expect.

Those were the days before "just in time" production and they stocked way up on some things. It seems like they just used them until they were gone, or even maybe "found one" and used it even though it was an older date. Can't say for sure.

Cliff

Offline Geeeyejo

• Junior Pro
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
Geeeyejo! Thanks for your visit and your 61 Corvette information! I appreciate your added contribution.  8)

Sounds like you are making great progress on cleaning her up. 8)  The bike is definitely worth the cost and effort IMO. I'm really curious as to what is stamped on your rear hub and the type or stampings on your freewheel. I started out with basic frame and I'm trying to nail down what exactly Schwinn installed on all the Corvette 5's rear drivetrains. Any input would be very helpful!

GT
The rear hub/freewheel and chain protector are actually my primary concern now - the spokes on the rear wheel are somewhat rusty and two are missing - one on the freewheel side one on the other.  I picked up a set of spokes and nipples to rebuild the wheel.  The freewheel needed a Park FR2 to disassemble.  Terrible setup and very difficult to grab the freewheel with the two pronged tool.  Well, I set everything up, locked on the FR2 with the wheel nut and held the tool in a bench vice to break her free - I think I screwed up as I didn't loosen the wheel nut once it broke free and continued to rotate the wheel to remove the freewheel - STUPID!!!  I realized my error and now when the nut is loosened the freewheel keeps turning (tightly) but does not remove - maybe stripped? I can turn it in the other direction and tighten it but it will not come off.  Looks like I have two options:
1. replace the hub, casette and spoke protector with a 60's breeze or similar lightweight 5 speed setup and lace to the original S7 - will look essentially the same
2. replace the spoke on the accesible side and dummy up a spoke on the freewheel side of the original setup - clean up the rusty spokes as best as possible and maybe give them a spray of chrome paint to make them match the new spokes.
What do you guys suggest?
1955 Green 3 Speed Tiger
1979 Red Spitfire 5
1994 Iron Horse MTB
2011 Downtube 9 Folder

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
This is interesting. Jeff's bike has that hub which takes the FR-2. All of the others I've seen take the FR-4. Yours is more evidence that they used both.

What is it that won't come off - the nut or the freewheel from the aluminum hub? Dang, there was a correct freewheel and hub on Ebay the other day for peanuts, and it took the FR-4.

Here's a pic of mine. The aluminum hubs say "Made in France" and "Atom" on them and they aren't dated which is a big help. The cogs say "Schwinn Approved" and "Made in France" followed by a letter which I can't figure out. It probably isn't a date because counting from A, they wouldn't match a year or even a month. Mine says "Made in France K" but I've seen other letters on real bikes from 61. The highest letter I've seen is an N.

Here's a pic of mine with the K hidden in shadow. Note the serrated design for the FR-4 which IMHO is far easier to use. I won't be afraid to put an impact wrench on it with the pressure turned down a little.

Offline Geeeyejo

• Junior Pro
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
This is interesting. Jeff's bike has that hub which takes the FR-2. All of the others I've seen take the FR-4. Yours is more evidence that they used both.

What is it that won't come off - the nut or the freewheel from the aluminum hub? Dang, there was a correct freewheel and hub on Ebay the other day for peanuts, and it took the FR-4.

Here's a pic of mine. The aluminum hubs say "Made in France" and "Atom" on them and they aren't dated which is a big help. The cogs say "Schwinn Approved" and "Made in France" followed by a letter which I can't figure out. It probably isn't a date because counting from A, they wouldn't match a year or even a month. Mine says "Made in France K" but I've seen other letters on real bikes from 61. The highest letter I've seen is an N.

Here's a pic of mine with the K hidden in shadow. Note the serrated design for the FR-4 which IMHO is far easier to use. I won't be afraid to put an impact wrench on it with the pressure turned down a little.

It's the freewheel that wont't thread off the hub - but it will tighten if turned in the other direction
1955 Green 3 Speed Tiger
1979 Red Spitfire 5
1994 Iron Horse MTB
2011 Downtube 9 Folder

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
Don't know what to tell you about that. Get a bigger hammer, LOL?

Aluminum and steel don't get along real well as you know. I still think I'd use an impact wrench because of the "blows" they deliver. Replacements are available regularly if you wreck it, especially the aluminum hubs.

Cliff