Author Topic: Schwinn 27.5 Bellwood not shifting at all  (Read 654 times)

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
Schwinn 27.5 Bellwood not shifting at all
« on: September 29, 2023, 11:56:02 AM »
Hello everyone, I am new here and also new to bikes that shift. I have a Bellwood that will not shift at all all the cable does is go slack. The chain just stays in the small sprocket and when I move the shifter on the handlebar the cable just goes slack. I hope somebody out there can give me some advice on how to fix this.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Schwinn 27.5 Bellwood not shigting at all
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »
Welcome to the Forum! I suspect that your inner cable has either snapped somewhere along its run (possibly inside an outer casing), or has let go from its clamped end down at the derailleur.

Without the tension of a shift cable to draw it out as you move the handlebar control, the rear derailleur will retract into its default position over the outermost, smallest cog as you describe. I would take a close look at the inner cable's attachment to the derailleur at the rear wheel and see what you find. Posting a photo or two here may also help us.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 12:13:03 PM »
Check the shifter cable routing and make sure the cable is properly seated in all the cable stops.

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 01:14:12 PM »
Ok will check this but the cable will move from loose to tight if I move the shifter lever so I am thinking the cable is not broken but I will check.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 02:17:05 PM »
As Jennifer explained, another reason for the cable to go slack is if any of the segments of outer casing along the way have slipped out of their frame mountings (cable stops). If those all look to be properly seated, then see if the cable clamp on the derailleur has loosened and allowed the end of the cable to get pulled up through the clamp, out of position.

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
Well I just got back from checking out the bike I removed the little screw and loosened up the clamp on the rear derailleur and removed the cable and it was all bunched up inside of the screw looks like a new cable is in store?? Now where do I get one and how in the heck to put it in without messing things up again?? ::)

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
Re: Schwinn 27.5 Bellwood not shifting at all
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 05:53:20 PM »
I guess I will have to take it to a bike shop very confusing also I don't know on the grip shifter which is an easy gear or hard to pedal gear since there are no numbers. I just want to learn to work on my bike .

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 06:15:25 PM »
I guess I will have to take it to a bike shop very confusing

I agree; I think I would suggest here that you take it to whichever local bike shop has the best recommendation. They should have this sorted out pretty quick, although it can be really fiddly to figure it out yourself if you have not done this before. You will find it much easier to see and understand its operation once they have it back in working order for you, and you can see how it's supposed to function.

also I don't know on the grip shifter which is an easy gear or hard to pedal gear since there are no numbers. I just want to learn to work on my bike.

For a grip shifter, you downshift to a lower ("easy") gear by twisting in the direction that will pull on the cable, not push or relax it, as you are pedaling. As the cable is pulled or drawn inward, that forces the rear derailleur to extend, guiding the chain from a smaller cog to a larger one, thus giving you more leverage when pedaling at lower speeds or on uphill climbs.

Your bike shop can also check over the rest of the bike and make sure that it's roadworthy for you. It's easier to learn about your bike when it's working than when it's not. ;) Good luck.

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 07:04:43 PM »
So which is an eaasy sprocket vs a hard pedaling sprocket small easy and the largest the hardest?

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 07:20:53 PM »
So which is an eaasy sprocket vs a hard pedaling sprocket small easy and the largest the hardest?

It's the opposite, actually: the small outermost sprocket is your High gear, the hardest to pedal (at low speed, that is). The largest, innermost sprocket is your Low gear, the one you start off with. As your road speed increases, you upshift from the larger sprockets to the smaller ones, so you're getting more distance traveled with each rotation of the pedals. You downshift to Low again as you come to a stop.

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 06:06:40 AM »
Thank you all very much for the information. I have already notified a 5-star bike shop to help me with this situation. I hope you all have a fantastic day!!!

Oldguy

Offline oldguy

• Training Wheel
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 05:48:22 PM »
Well, the bike shop has repaired the shifting cable man it works well but a lesson learned when buying something already put together. Also, they pointed out and changed the handlebar stem was put in backwards and the fixed that also all for $25 bucks.