Author Topic: Raleigh Sports Internal Gear Hub 5 Speed?  (Read 823 times)

Offline HerrOtto

• Training Wheel
Raleigh Sports Internal Gear Hub 5 Speed?
« on: September 28, 2023, 06:51:01 PM »

Did Raleigh make an internal gear hub 5 speed "Sports"? I found one for sale and I wasn't sure if it was custom or not. It is labeled "Sports" on the chain guard. I know the "Sprite" was available as an internal gear hub 5 speed.

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
Re: Raleigh Sports Internal Gear Hub 5 Speed?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 09:58:14 PM »
What do the shifters look like?

The two most common versions are a plastic lever version that looks like a typical 10 speed shifter, and a much heavier metal version that started as a warranty replacement for broken plastic shifters, and eventually was installed on new bikes at the dealer.

If the shifting is a three speed Sturmey shifter, to control the 3 speeds on the rights side, and a friction or another three speed to control the left side, it has been converted. I’ve never seen a Sports with a five speed hub (except the ones I built) but, don’t know for sure if Raleigh ever did that.

Ted
"You never see rust spots under a run in the paint" Ted Senior, R.I.P. 1929-2009.
 '59 Tiger, 5, count ‘em, '67 Raleigh Sprite internal hub 5 speeds,'72 Heavy-Duti '73 Le Tour, 1963 Raleigh Colt, 1972 Peugeot UO8, ‘53 Raleigh Sports Tourist, 4 Raleigh DL1 Roadsters, 1941 Colson Scout.

Offline HerrOtto

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 08:31:02 AM »
Thanks Ted, I have not seen the bike in person yet, trying to work out the details. The more I look at the poor picture of it, the more I think it is custom, as it has drop bars and the metal looking/clunky shifters are on the down tube.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 11:56:10 AM »
and the metal looking/clunky shifters are on the down tube.

Back in the day, Huret had various downtube shifters available, some of which certainly fit the definition of "clunky." I have a rather large set on my Continental.

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 11:15:21 PM »
Raleigh's long company history is quite convoluted, far more than Schwinns.

Photos and a Serial number would be helpful in trying to id the bike.

You can usually find a month and year stamp on the Sturmey Archer rear hub shell that is a good indication of when the bike was built.  Since Raleigh owned Sturmey Archer, the hubs were put on the bike pretty quick after production.  If the hub has been changed, that won't date the bike.

Certain models/years of Raleigh serial numbers can be decoded to location and year of production. Location on the bike matters too.

There are other minor changes like decal fonts, brake levers, brakes, that can id eras.

Raleigh had different models for different markets. USA, Canada, England, etc, with different catalogs.
"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 04:13:21 PM »
For decoding Raleigh serial data and Catalog pages this is the best website I've found.

Kurt Kaminer's "The Headbadge.

https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_vintref.html

Sturmey Archer Archives.

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/

Offline HerrOtto

• Training Wheel
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 04:32:30 PM »
I have not gotten the bike yet. The seller is being less than cooperative. I may not end up getting it.

Offline Wayne

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 05:26:21 PM »
Maybe this shifter on the down tube? Most likely an S5 Sturmey hub. Later  S5/1 had some issues according to Sutherland's Sturmey Handbook.

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 08:29:30 AM »
I have not gotten the bike yet. The seller is being less than cooperative. I may not end up getting it.

Sometimes they are doing you a favor.

Maybe this shifter on the down tube? Most likely an S5 Sturmey hub. Later  S5/1 had some issues according to Sutherland's Sturmey Handbook.

Those shifters are getting to be rare, and expensive. When they were new, they went on the top tube.

Ted
"You never see rust spots under a run in the paint" Ted Senior, R.I.P. 1929-2009.
 '59 Tiger, 5, count ‘em, '67 Raleigh Sprite internal hub 5 speeds,'72 Heavy-Duti '73 Le Tour, 1963 Raleigh Colt, 1972 Peugeot UO8, ‘53 Raleigh Sports Tourist, 4 Raleigh DL1 Roadsters, 1941 Colson Scout.

Offline Wayne

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 11:26:50 AM »

Those shifters are getting to be rare, and expensive. When they were new, they went on the top tube.

Ted

The top tube Sturmey stick shifter's were called Sportshift. Several different models/handle lengths. Sturmey made the Sportshift for the S5 hub too. It had a second lever on the other side, usually with a red knob. Now that is a very rare shifter and I do not have a picture.

The first picture I posted is a Sturmey shifter for the head tube, larger clamp.