Author Topic: 1964 Raleigh Sports:Ric Greene's old bike, any one interested in acquiring this?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
Like the title says, this was our late founder, Ric Greenes's bike that he would use on bike tours. I forget what these tours he went on were called. Basically I have had this bike since he sold it to me, and his passing. It is in about the same shape as it was when he sold it to me. It has been in deep storage ever since. The only work I did to it was straighten out the fenders a bit and did some minor touch up work to the thing. The bike rides great, but the Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub needs a bit of help as it's a bit stiff from sitting for at least the last 12 years or so. I'm looking to get $200.00 or best offer.

Pick up only. Will not ship.

Jim.
Still me after all these years. Just older, grayer and saggier.

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
Ric was involved with several groups that had 3 speed bicycles and period English dress as a common theme, but, the big one was the Lake Pepin 3 speed Tour, and the ABCE, or, All British Cycling Event, with the same group. He was involved for years, and had many friends on both rides.
The bike you have listed was the bike Ric used on the Tour we roomed together on. Our riding styles could not have been more different, I stopped everywhere to chat, relax, BS with friends and take pictures, he considered it a bit of a race. He would be at the destination hours before me, waiting. We usually caught meals together.

I miss Ric every spring and fall. I love that bike, but, literally don’t know anyone it would fit.

I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

Ted
"You never see rust spots under a run in the paint" Ted Senior, R.I.P. 1929-2009.
 '59 Tiger, 5, count ‘em, '67 Raleigh Sprite internal hub 5 speeds,'72 Heavy-Duti '73 Le Tour, 1963 Raleigh Colt, 1972 Peugeot UO8, ‘53 Raleigh Sports Tourist, 4 Raleigh DL1 Roadsters, 1941 Colson Scout.

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
I wish I could get this beautiful time capsule into the hands of someone who would love it for what it is. Not really as a rider, but a piece of history. The hub works but it does not freewheel that easily at the moment. Because of ongoing health issues with myself, I feel I do have to let the bike go as well as others in my collection. I will take reasonable offers!

Still can't ship, though. I live in south central Pennsylvania, the southern Susquehanna River Valley region.

Jim.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
List it on Craigslist Jim.

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
The owner before Jim, in happier days. We were still using the dirt parking lot across from the marina, in Red Wing, on the Lake Pepin Tour. Same bike, with Mac’s vintage kit. The leather device on the top bar holds a wine bottle securely. I can’t remember if Mac drank anything, but, for sure, I drank enough for both of us.

My Sprite 5 speed is parked right next to it. Man, we had a blast that year.

image hosting free

Ted
"You never see rust spots under a run in the paint" Ted Senior, R.I.P. 1929-2009.
 '59 Tiger, 5, count ‘em, '67 Raleigh Sprite internal hub 5 speeds,'72 Heavy-Duti '73 Le Tour, 1963 Raleigh Colt, 1972 Peugeot UO8, ‘53 Raleigh Sports Tourist, 4 Raleigh DL1 Roadsters, 1941 Colson Scout.

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
Ted, are you sure that is the same bike? The bike in the picture has wire fenderbraces as they are a bit hard to see, where as this Raleigh Sports has the heavier stamped sheet metal fenderbraces. It seems to me if I remember clearly he had two almost identical bikes like this. One was this bike and the other one was correct me if I'm wrong, was it a Robin Hood or a Hercules make? Maybe even a Triumph bike? Can't remember the make. He sold these both near the end plus some others as well to help cover for medical expenses.

Jim.

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
I just found this old link to the gallery by Ric. Here is what is now my Raleigh with his similar looking Triumph bike. It has the wire braces I see in the photo with him, as well as the orange handle bar grips. It believe the Triumph is the bike in the pic. I have no idea who has the Triumph bike, now, though.

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=170

Jim.

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
You are likely correct. I know he had a bunch of bikes at one point. Cool stuff to put on them, as well.
If I got it wrong, sorry. But, enjoy the photo of Mac, anyway.

He was a heck of a guy.

Ted

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
Yes he was!

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
Family heirlooms abound.  My mothers house is packed with them. She was the youngest and last of her generation.  Furniture, dishes, clothing, books, and thousands of photographs. How many objects do you have that came from family or friends that you you treasure.  Look at the many episodes of Garage Squad that cover cars from family members.  We hear the phrase "we live on in the memories of others" is true.  Once we are gone, so are the memories. The objects are a way of remembering.

We have our bike hobby that is shared more with our biking buddies and much less with family.  I manage the local bike recycling coop and I always ask the donors about the more interesting bikes.  Many are the original owners who have moved on to better bikes, ebikes or are just getting rid of stuff they haven't touched in decades.  Some of the bikes belonged to their parents.  I've asked many if they would consider keeping them for future generations in their family but never had anyone change their mind. One did take a final photo.

We can't keep every bike but some bikes and former owners are special and worth remembering. I have several bikes that belong to deceased friends.  A Charles Roberts English racing bike that was given to me by Jim Hulbert's widow.  She knew i would appreciate it far more than some stranger who would not know the bike's or owner's histories.  Since Jim & I were born on the same month/day I get it out for a ride every year on my birthday as a memory to a great friend.  I have Elisabeth Young's last bike, a 1970s Raleigh LTD.  She gave it to me before she died (along with all the maps of her travels).  In 1938 Elisabeth and her newly wed husband Jim rode an English 3 speed tandem from San Francisco to the Blue & Grey reunion 75 years after the battle at Gettysburg, onto Virginia Beach and back to San Francisco.  Their book "Bicycle Built for Two" is a chronicle of the trip. I once scored an autographed copy that she had signed for a friend who was a major donor of the local library. 60 years later on she signed the same book for me.  That tandem would be a gold mine but she told me it went to a scrap metal drive during WWII.  Elisabeth and Jim never owned a car. They biked or walked everywhere.  My wife rides the LTD on Lake Pepin some years and on the ABCE.  I have a Schwinn Sierra (the chrome & teal version) that belonged to my wife's best friend.  My wife said she didn't want it so it's stashed away for possible future use.  I have another 3 speed that belonged to June Burg of the Twin Cities. I never met her but I'd like to see it go to someone that knew her. It was part of a package deal from a downsizer.  The Jack Taylor Touring Tandem that Fred Blessin owned.  A rideable museum piece.  Fred was one of the founders of the Quad Cities Bike Club and showed my generation that cycling wasn't just for kids. 

Another long time biking friend has a park bench next to a trail at a very scenic location.  A couple other biking friends have grave sites that Ragbrai goes near about every 10 years. A brief stop is in order but if you are alone, no stories are shared.

I went to a friends estate sale that was combined with a few others.  The number of photos from the other estates was just so depressing. The fact was that person's family members had zero interest in their ancestors was so telling.

Once the bikes move on to anonymous strangers, all the history of the owner is gone.  No more getting them out for events and reciting stories about the original owners.  The majority of bikes we ride on the specialty rides dedicated to certain brands, styles, eras or countries have unknown pasts.  We have stories about the manufacturers, how we acquired and restored the bikes but usually nothing about the former owners.

Bikes should stay in the community with biking friends as a mobile tribute with live story telling. Laminate photos and a brief history and attach it to the bike to educate others and to leave evidence for when we aren't around to repeat the stories.

Recently offered, Noel Robinson's bike is another example of one that should be kept by his friends in the community.  Noel was a co-founder of the ABCE and Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour and a great story teller who passed away on a bike trip a couple years ago.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
Rickpaulos, what you posted here is why I am first offering it here to someone who knows the history behind it. Once it's sold to someone I don't know, the history is lost and it's gone forever, like the old Kansas song says, "Dust in the wind" Wonderful post! I have health issues I need to deal with, and need to prepare for the future while I'm still in control of my faculties. As proof of that, I just had emergency retina reattachment surgery on September 5th, which has served as a wakeup call that we do need to prepare.

Jim.

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
Noel might be mortified that people are referring to his bikes as a “collection”. He corrected me, several times saying it was more of an “accumulation”.

Miss that old guy.

Ted

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
Don't know which bike this is but the title of the picture is "Trinity Tweed Troup"

Offline LIFE OF SCHWINN

• Skids and Wheelies
As many of you knew, Ric traveled a lot.  Whenever he was in Minneapolis, we would hook up.  What a great guy.  I miss him a lot.
I have a really funny story about him.  Not sure if I ever told this to anyone on the page? 
One time, in the winter, he came over to visit in a rental truck.  He always rented SUVs or trucks for some reason?  When he left, he backed over our recycling bin, causing it to flip and sit directly under the differential.  That plastic bin held that entire rear of the truck up with both rear wheels spinning.  I looked at it and laughed.  I told him we had AAA and it would be a problem, but try explaining that to the tow truck drivers.  He did.  When they came out, we were all laughing and they took many pictures.  They probably have them on the wall at Kellys Service?  I'll never forget that night...