Author Topic: Complete Info for 1970s' and 1980s' Schwinn Lightweight Colors  (Read 431 times)

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
Complete Info for 1970s' and 1980s' Schwinn Lightweight Colors
« on: September 23, 2023, 11:31:40 AM »
Excuse me, but I should have posted this long ago...
The consumer catalogs in the SLDB section are incomplete!  Schwinn usually issued three versions of each year's catalog: 
 -- The Summer Proofs, showing what the upcoming lineup SHOULD look like (often left-drive models were shown).
 -- The Autumn First Edition, basically The Proofs cleaned up and made nice.
 -- The Spring Second Edition.  This will reflect color/price changes and half-year models.
  Since the first edition for 1977 is missing here, collectors need to be told about Flamingo and Canary, two colors that were dropped midyear.  I've heard numerous owners who think they have faded Burgundy or Lemon bikes; actually they have a rare color.
  A similar situation occurs when only the 1979 first edition is shown.  Two brand-new colors were introduced for the debut of the Chicago-made Super/LeTour models -- Frosty Blue and Strawberry Red.  Both colors were dropped midyear, and replaced by the ubiquitous Sky Blue and Cardinal Red (again, some owners think Frosty is simply faded Sky).  Both FB and RD are rare colors.
  Finally, a less impactful omission, the Fall 1974 catalog.  On the Suburban page, the "New for 1974" (thumbshifter) banner was not originally there.  It is interesting to note that the human models hide the headset-mounted SinglStik with their hands; for the second edition Schwinn-Approved artists drew in the shifter/cable.
Schwinnly,
David D.

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
Re: Complete Info for 1970s' and 1980s' Schwinn Lightweight Colors
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 11:42:46 AM »
Mea Culpa...
I just checked under the "Models" section of the SLDB, and Flamingo and Canary WERE listed under 1977. :-\
But the 1979 replacements for Frosty Blue and Strawberry Red WERE NOT.
I'll get down off my high wheelchair now...
-- David

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
Re: Complete Info for 1970s' and 1980s' Schwinn Lightweight Colors
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 05:14:27 PM »
The Tom Findley pages at Waterford have what may be updated catalog pages or at least differing versions than some SLDB catalog pages.

https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/schwinn-catalogs/