Author Topic: Minneapolis Boom Island Fall Ride  (Read 865 times)

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
Minneapolis Boom Island Fall Ride
« on: September 22, 2023, 05:04:57 PM »
Hello Twin Cities' collectors,
Did I miss this year's Boom Island get-together?
I hear the Stone Arch Bridge will be closed for two years of restoration...
I think it would be fun to get a Town and Country to ride (or ride in the back of the OTHER kind of Town and Country  ;))  But I still have "a ways to go".
Schwinnly,
David D.   8)

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Minneapolis Boom Island Fall Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 11:14:31 PM »
Hello Twin Cities' collectors,
Did I miss this year's Boom Island get-together?

Apparently you did, unfortunately...  :(

The dates for this event have passed. No future dates are available at this time.

https://www.exploreminnesota.com/event/minneapolis-bike-tour/5389

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 09:25:12 AM »
Dang.  That doesn't look like it's "fun" anymore.   :(
Thirty or forty riders would show up around noon, and spend an hour admiring all the rolling collectibles and getting reacquainted.  Then we would ride off in groups, meandering past DeLa Salle High School, through Old St. Anthony, and onto the Stone Arch Bridge.  While pausing on the bridge we would strike up convos with new friends -- guys on Whizzers, U students with their "new" Typhoons, Sting-Ray collectors with their wife 'n' kids astride their whole collections, etc.
Once back at Boom Island we would vote on our favorite bicycle; the winner got to keep the traveling trophy until next year.
I guess anytime an event becomes "organized" ("registration table?!") you can count on it going downhill (I hope the Red Wing English Three-speed ride is still doing well!).
-- David D.

Offline Grogger

• Junior Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 06:51:06 AM »
Hi David!

They did have a Boom Island ride last Sunday (September 24). It's the first one since the 2020 pandemic put it on hold. I believe the link Andy posted is misleading. I don't think it's an organized event and is still very much like it was before.

I wasn't able to attend this year. I learned about it from the Minnesota Antique & Classic Bicycle Club facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174852922573479

You can see photos of the ride under "Discussion":

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174852922573479/buy_sell_discussion

It looks like they had a decent turn out. I hope to see you at the 2024 ride!

The All British Cycling event was held two weeks ago. The location changed because Barley John's Brew Pub closed. The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour is also still rolling along.

Ron
Ron G. | Head Geek | The BicycleGeek™ Collection | A few favorites: 1938 Ladies' BA37, '51 Hornet, '51 Panther, '52 Red Phantom, '53 Ladies' Panther, '56 Tiger, '57 Corvette, '58 Black Phantom, '61 Speedster, '62 Fiesta, '62 Fleet, '62 Typhoon, '66 Varsity Tourist, '68 Ram's Horn Fastback, '68 Typhoon, '72 Orange Krate, '73 Sting-Ray 5-Speed, '73 Paramount P10-9, '74 Paramount P13-9, '80 Typhoon Custom, '99 Paramount Steel

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 11:37:45 AM »
Thanks, Ron!  I'll pay more attention in '24; this year I waited until September to even "look for" the ride.
Sometimes I feel a bit like Rip van Winkle -- my accident has kept me here at the rehab center since January, 2021, and I forget that many events were canceled during that time.
I AM able to move ~ 100 feet/day with a walker, but we still work to improve on that.
If nothing else, I need to show up to show off my "new wheels" -- a nifty standing wheelchair that cost more than our first house!
Schwinnly,
David