Author Topic: Lemond Zurich  (Read 657 times)

Offline Bikes42

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Lemond Zurich
« on: July 07, 2023, 09:14:04 AM »
This Lemond Zurich had been listed on FB Marketplace in VT for a few weeks. It started out listed at $250, then dropped to $200 and sat there for a about three weeks. Last week, I finally found myself in the area for work, so I contacted the seller. I knew from the ad that it was going to need a new chain, large front chainring, saddle and bar tape at the very least. Likely tubes and tires as well. I also knew that the seller was moving and was motivated to move this along. I was going to start negotiations at $125.

We met at the decided upon time; really nice guy. He thought the bike was a bit big for me, so I would not be interested after looking it over. On the contrary, I like a frame that's a little on the larger side once I am riding it. He said he'd be willing to do a deep discount, but didn't say how much. I didn't ask right away, but a few minutes later asked, "What are you thinking to make it so you don't have to move it with you?" He said he'd happily let it go for $100 to someone he knew would appreciate it. Well, I guess I am that person!  Sometimes silence works!

I know these bikes can go for quite a bit more, as I'd been looking for one lately since my friend Michael (Summerbike72) has been touting them. I love the paint scheme on this one. Most of the ones I'd seen that I liked were either too small or too far away. Now I just need the time to get it serviced, cleaned up and road worthy. I also need to do a bit more research to determine the year it was manufactured.

Thanks for looking!

Tad
1959 Radiant Green Tiger, 1961 Radiant Blue Varsity, 1966 Violet Super Sport, 1967 Sky Blue Paramount P13, 1971 Burgundy Super Sport, 1972 Flamboyant Red Paramount Tandem, 1972 Opaque Green Super Sport, 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer, 1973 Opaque Blue Continental, 1973 Opaque Blue Super Sport, 1986 Scarlet/Black Super Sport, 1987 Ice Pink Prelude, 1989 RWB Prelude, 1991/92 Serotta Colorado LT, 1993 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 2008 Opaque Blue Madison, 2017 Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
Re: Lemond Zurich
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 12:45:43 PM »
Nice bikes.  I'd say the Trek built Lemond road bikes are about the most comfortable riding steel frames ever.  And they are light.  After test riding a Malliot Junne, I had to get one for myself.  Some day I'll finish building it up. Each model of Lemond  was painted a different color and named after a location of Greg's major victories.

Best bet for determining the date is the Shimano mfd date codes on cranks, ders, shifters, brakes, etc. 
Vintage Trek dot com has the date codes for many manufacturers and they have the Lemond Catalogs too.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
Re: Lemond Zurich
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 01:41:41 AM »
Tad is like a bike deal magnet. He finds some awesome bikes and gets a deal on them most every time. That is one cool looking bike Tad congrats on the great find and great deal. 8)