Author Topic: Rare 50th Anniversary Schwinn Cruiser  (Read 833 times)

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
Rare 50th Anniversary Schwinn Cruiser
« on: August 11, 2022, 09:23:41 AM »
I found this bike on the FB marketplace last weekend, and decided to pick it up because the price was right. I love the sellers description, and had to laugh when I read it. It has a bit of surface rust on it, but it should clean up nicely. It is actually a 98 Cruiser Classic model, with a late 97 year build from the head badge date code.

I braved the heat out in the garage the other day, and did a complete teardown of the bike. All cleaned up, and re-greased. I give it an 8 out of 10. The kickstand is pretty rusty, and may not be salvageable? The crank arms are a bit pitted, and the rear wheel has some bad spots on the rim where it looks like some animal may have pissed on the rim while it was stored in the barn. But I am happy with the way it turned out.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Rare 50th Anniversary Schwinn Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 12:08:59 PM »
That is a pretty cool cruiser. It cleaned up pretty good too. Nice find.

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 04:29:19 AM »
That is a pretty cool cruiser. It cleaned up pretty good too. Nice find.

For $50 I couldn't pass it up. This was my first time completely trearing down one of the 90's series bikes, and IMO, they are good quality bikes! Some people rag on them because they are not Chicago built. But they are what they are, and I would buy another if the opportunity presented itself.

I did have a good laugh at the sellers description though! I would have educated the seller on the bike when I picked it up, but he insisted on a "Contactless Pick Up" and just had me put the $$$ in a box next to the bike. This was my first time doing that, so I just put the cash in the box, loaded up the bike, then drove off.................

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 12:40:45 PM »
50 bucks, that really was a good deal. The bike was probably made by Giant in Taiwan which was a good thing for quality at that point. Leave the money in a box. No doubt the seller wears five masks and two pairs of nitrile gloves to go outside.  :o

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 02:11:42 PM »
50 bucks, that really was a good deal. The bike was probably made by Giant in Taiwan which was a good thing for quality at that point. Leave the money in a box. No doubt the seller wears five masks and two pairs of nitrile gloves to go outside.  :o

Yes, I believe it was a Giant built bike, as it had the remnants of the white date code sticker on the drive side rear dropout. And my experience with some of the maskers during the peak of the pandemic has been pretty entertaining sometimes. To each there own when it comes to that I guess.

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 03:51:27 AM »
Why was my last post deleted?  ???

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 04:09:06 AM »

Political commentary.

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 05:56:05 AM »

Political commentary.

OH OK, I have forgotten the truth is not allowed any longer in today's society and "Social Media".

Thanks for the reminder...........

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 01:54:47 PM »
On Schwinnbikeforum you're are permitted to tell the truth about Schwinn bicycles. Everything else belongs in the dumpster fire known as social media. 

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »
On Schwinnbikeforum you're are permitted to tell the truth about Schwinn bicycles. Everything else belongs in the dumpster fire known as social media.

IMO, it was the truth about the current cost of shipping Schwinn Bicycles!

So why was Rick's post deleted then? ???