Author Topic: Help: 1930s Schwinn Info  (Read 732 times)

Offline Mosesarea51

• Training Wheel
Help: 1930s Schwinn Info
« on: May 18, 2022, 07:45:06 PM »
Fished out the Pre War Schwinn from a Storage unit today, not sure what model it is but I think I am going to buy it. It has obvious issues, the paint job that was done to it was rattle can, and will need a proper Restoration, but it looks to be complete, guys not asking much.

What do I have here?

Offline Mosesarea51

• Training Wheel
Re: Help: 1930s Schwinn Info
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 08:56:24 PM »
You’ll have to forgive my Ignorance guys, I am not sure whether this is Post or Prewar, I am only going off the information the old man gave me. I think after looking at it, that it could be a Tornado or Hornet from the 50s but I am not sure.

Offline Bikes42

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 10:28:09 PM »
Postwar due to the forward facing dropouts. Perhaps 1952.

Experts?!

Looks like a nice project. Doesn't look like you have the skip-tooth chain. That is getting harder to find.

Have fun!

Tad
1959 Radiant Green Tiger, 1961 Radiant Blue Varsity, 1966 Violet Super Sport, 1967 Sky Blue Paramount P13, 1971 Burgundy Super Sport, 1972 Flamboyant Red Paramount Tandem, 1972 Opaque Green Super Sport, 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer, 1973 Opaque Blue Continental, 1973 Opaque Blue Super Sport, 1986 Scarlet/Black Super Sport, 1987 Ice Pink Prelude, 1989 RWB Prelude, 1991/92 Serotta Colorado LT, 1993 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 2008 Opaque Blue Madison, 2017 Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64

Offline Mosesarea51

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 11:02:34 PM »
Postwar due to the forward facing dropouts. Perhaps 1953.

Experts?!

Looks like a nice project. Doesn't look like you have the skip-tooth chain. That is getting harder to find.

Have fun!

Tad

The Chain is there but still attached to the frame, Someone in another venue mentioned that it could be a 1952 Schwinn Hornet. It looks like a neat project, I was thinking of having it completely restored, maybe if I am lucky the original paint is underneath the spray paint.

I feel bad cause The old man was a bit down on his luck and upset due to his wife just having back surgery, I pray everything gets better for him.

Thanks Tad:)

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:37:13 PM »
1952 Hornet.

I can see the master link in the the chain so removing it for a good soaking will do.

A full on restore would just be far too expensive for what the bike is. Missing fenders, rack, chain guard, fork struts, proper stem.  I'd just wax the frame.  Clean and re-grease all the bearings.  Perhaps scrub the over spray off the sprocket and any other parts.  New tires & tubes.  The seat will need something to make it ride-able or just replace the seat. Those didn't have much padding to start with. Those pedals are dangerous to use. The rubber treads roll and send your feet flying.

That license plate is awesome.  Some wax to help preserve it as is.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Mosesarea51

• Training Wheel
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 07:16:24 AM »
1952 Hornet.

I can see the master link in the the chain so removing it for a good soaking will do.

A full on restore would just be far too expensive for what the bike is. Missing fenders, rack, chain guard, fork struts, proper stem.  I'd just wax the frame.  Clean and re-grease all the bearings.  Perhaps scrub the over spray off the sprocket and any other parts.  New tires & tubes.  The seat will need something to make it ride-able or just replace the seat. Those didn't have much padding to start with. Those pedals are dangerous to use. The rubber treads roll and send your feet flying.

That license plate is awesome.  Some wax to help preserve it as is.

Sorry, I just realized that one of the Pictures failed to upload, the bike is complete but for some reason or another the pic did not upload.

Offline Mosesarea51

• Training Wheel
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 07:18:33 AM »
Heres what I have, The Fender Strut should be there as well, I just didn’t get it in the frame

The Guy couldn’t remember if he had a tank or not, he let me fish the bike out because he’s 80 and it was a tight spot.

“Edit” Should also add that the Handlebars and Stem “for whatever reason” were painted black

Story is that when he found it back in the day it had been a barn find and was rusted, I am not sure if the finish was removed or if it was spray painted over the existing finish? Anyways I was originally under the impression that he had it professionally done but as seen it was done by Bubba some time ago:/

I still think its worth it just to have a Hornet, maybe if I am lucky the original finish is still underneath the spray paint:)

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 12:04:04 PM »
The bike is a cool project. I think I would assemble it with what you have and ride it then fix things as you go keeping it a riding bike.

Offline buses n bikes

• Junior Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
Agreed that it's pretty fine as-is. At least they tried to use the right paint colors and stencils to get it close to stock. I've seen "professional" jobs come out far, far worse...
2021 Kona Woo
2015 Surly Karate Monkey
2006 Bianchi Pista
2001 Surly 1x1
1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia
1985 Trek 720
1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar

Offline Mosesarea51

• Training Wheel
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 11:01:40 PM »
Got the Schwinn Hornet home a couple of days ago and got the skip tooth chain degreased and cleaned up.

It was caked real good in grease, soaked it in degreaser overnight and cleaned it aggressively with a Brass Brush and some elbow grease. Lots of gunk and rust came off, currently have the chain and master link soaking in WD40 to see if I can bring this thing back from the heap.

It’s night and day from what it was:)

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 01:05:14 AM »
To see how stretched the chain is stretch it out and measure pin to pin 12". 1/16" over is OK, 1/8" over is a lot of wear. On a modern 1/2" pitch chain 1/8" over is time to change the chain and check the sprockets. With an old skip tooth I would check to see if it wraps around the sprockets correctly.  The 1" pitch may have a little more fudge factor to it but check it out.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html#measure