Author Topic: Schwinn Heavy Duty  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Steel is Real

• Training Wheel
Schwinn Heavy Duty
« on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »
I ran across this on Craigslist and he responded with out the serial number that it's a 1973.
It doesn't look as per the catalog from 73.
The Schwinn Script is not consistant nor the Head Badge from that era.

I can get it for $50.... don't need it, but's its kind of cool with the baskets.

Anyone recognize this ....or info??
Steel is Real = Steel Frame Bicycles

1983? World Sport (Panasonic Giant??) Red - Sold
1980 Suburban Sky Blue FFS No2 Fav
1978 Motobecane Nomade Grn silver mist Suntour
1977 Motobecane Nomade Grn silver mist Huret No. 3 fav
1974 Motobecane Mirage Metallic Blue
1974 Continental Chestnut Brown
1974 Suburban - Frankenstein - Sold
1970 Suburban - 5 Speed "Dearly De-Parted"
2005 Mongoose full suspension converted 1500 watt Ebike
1973 Raleigh Sprite X Factor
2015 Trek Steel District - No.1 Fav

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Schwinn Heavy Duty
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 11:40:16 AM »
Certainly for $50 I would grab it regardless of the owner's apparent misunderstanding about its age.

You're correct about the decals being much later than 1973, as are the reflectors. The decals are probably the easiest way to narrow down the year by simply referring to the catalogs available here: https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/schwinn-catalogs/. My guess, without a shred of research, would be late 1980s into 1990s sometime.

Offline buses n bikes

• Junior Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 12:44:56 PM »
Looks as late as early 90s, likely is Hungarian built. The upside is it might have S2 rims and standard 26'' tire sizing. The one Hungarian-built HD I had was, so that was cool.

The baskets, overall condition and Brooks saddle make that $50 a pretty nice score as far as a neat bike to ride. There is little to no additional collectible value there but would be a great bike for bumming around town and not feeling guilty about scratches at the bike rack or it getting stolen.
2021 Kona Woo
2015 Surly Karate Monkey
2006 Bianchi Pista
2001 Surly 1x1
1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia
1985 Trek 720
1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »
I'd jump on that pretty quick. If it's the Hungarian made bike the wheels are S2 made on the original Schwinn machinery that was moved to that factory in Budapest. This is a heavyweight or balloon tire bike. Original Chicago Heavy Duty bikes were middleweight bikes. 

Offline Steel is Real

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »
Hi Group,
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll grab it - give it a quick once over and probably turn it.
Luckily I have the room to park it.

Appreciate the info!!

I should have added - Maybe it rides nice???  if so I'll keep it

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 04:40:39 PM »
I ran across this on Craigslist and he responded with out the serial number that it's a 1973.
It doesn't look as per the catalog from 73.
The Schwinn Script is not consistant nor the Head Badge from that era.

I can get it for $50.... don't need it, but's its kind of cool with the baskets.

Anyone recognize this ....or info??

Well worth the $50...........! BUY IT

It is not a 70's Chicago built bike. Taiwan made, or possibly one of the Hungarian built bikes if it is an early 90's?

When you get it, the head badge should have a 4 digit date code for figuring out the model year. Let us know that when you get it.

Offline Steel is Real

• Training Wheel
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 10:36:55 AM »
Thanks Randall

I do have a questions for all.
Being I'm not knowledgeable in the Balloon / Cruiser bikes.
The frame looks identical - right??
I could probable make a Cruiser style bike out of this and add - possibly a 5 speed rear derailleur so it's a little more efficient for this old guy to ride.

My understanding is the frame tubing thickness is thicker - hence heavier than normal cruiser frames?? Hard to believe anything could be heavier than that!

Just thinking out loud.

Waiting for a call back to pick up.

Offline buses n bikes

• Junior Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 11:50:52 AM »
It's all possible but may be more work than it's worth.

You'd need a bolt-on derailleur hanger and to stretch the rear spacing from 110mm to ~135mm and to source a shifter, derailleur, cable, rear wheel, etc.

Much easier to just find a front or rear sprocket to change out per your gearing preference.
2021 Kona Woo
2015 Surly Karate Monkey
2006 Bianchi Pista
2001 Surly 1x1
1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia
1985 Trek 720
1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 02:52:50 PM »
Thanks Randall

I could probable make a Cruiser style bike out of this and add - possibly a 5 speed rear derailleur so it's a little more efficient for this old guy to ride.

My understanding is the frame tubing thickness is thicker - hence heavier than normal cruiser frames?? Hard to believe anything could be heavier than that!

Just thinking out loud.

The "Heavy Duti(y)" designation usually refers to the wheels. They used the wheels from the Schwinn Twinn tandem.  thicker spokes, fatter spoke nipples and rims with larger spoke nipple holes.   Schwinn had a number of heavy duty models like the "Heavy Duty American" and the "Heavy Duty Wasp".

The main issue on adding gears to the middle weights is brakes.  Most don't have the holes in the fork or seat stay bridge for caliper brakes.

I used a pair of drum brake hubs on a Typhoon I converted.  I can only imagine what a similar conversion would cost now.  Far more $$$$ than just buying a new 7 speed cruiser many of which used a 7 speed igh with built in brake either foot coaster or cable activated band or drum.

There were variants of the standard middleweight frames. Those that were intended to be 3 speeds with hand brakes had flat metal elevated seat stay bridges with a hole for mounting the caliper brake and a fork with an bit of extra crown that had a caliper brake hole.  Normally used for the 3 speed models, I've seen some single speed bikes with the elevated bridge.  Other variations were tabs for tanks and the King Size frames.  i've never seen any info on heavier tubing.  I suppose the best way to check would be to completely strip the bike down and weigh the frame and compare with a known regular frame.  The Schwinn ef bikes are so heavy and bomb proof to start with.  I'm sure it would take more costly machinery to make and form heavier tubing.  And for just a relatively few units?  Wouldn't happen for financial reasons.

Some older models had bolt on conversion brackets for caliper brakes.   Those brackets are super rare.  I have a middleweight 3 speed with a front bracket ($250 & $150 shipping).  I've only ever seen 1 rear seat bridge adapter.

Brazing on mounts for canti or v-brakes isn't very practical.

Another issue is due to the all curved tubes on the frame, you usually need to use full length cable housing which has lots of drag.  Best to use high quality stainless steel cables and teflon lined housing and use a very slippery lube inside.

As suggested, a bigger cog will make it easier to pedal.  As will a smaller ring, longer cranks, lighter aluminum rims, new tires.   Lots of potential expense. IMO, these bikes are best left as is.  Clean and regrease the bearings.  Replace rotted or petrified tires.  If you want an easier to ride bike, get an easier to ride bike.  It's like the guys with their fat bikes looking for speed, so I show them a regular mountain bike or a road bike.  Many bikes just weren't built to go fast.

Rick
"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks Randall

Just thinking out loud.

Waiting for a call back to pick up.

The frame looks similar, but nowhere near the quality of the Chicago frames! If it is a Taiwan made frame, it is much lighter in material, and lower quality on the welding!