Author Topic: Hosteler mixte  (Read 674 times)

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
Hosteler mixte
« on: March 23, 2021, 11:31:09 PM »
Oh la la.  French made Mixte that was so popular with women in the early 1970s.  So similar to Gitane, Motobecane, Peugeot, etc.

This one had some changes.  Weinman brake upgrade.  Front Huret derailleur, Suntor stem levers and a generator set added.  And perhaps the flat bars were stock or added.  Hard to know unless someone has a catalog scan.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Bikes42

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Hosteler mixte
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:28:48 AM »
Not to mention that it has Opaque Blue going for it too!  ;)

Tad
1959 Radiant Green Tiger, 1961 Radiant Blue Varsity, 1966 Violet Super Sport, 1967 Sky Blue Paramount P13, 1971 Burgundy Super Sport, 1972 Flamboyant Red Paramount Tandem, 1972 Opaque Green Super Sport, 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer, 1973 Opaque Blue Continental, 1973 Opaque Blue Super Sport, 1986 Scarlet/Black Super Sport, 1987 Ice Pink Prelude, 1989 RWB Prelude, 1991/92 Serotta Colorado LT, 1993 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 2008 Opaque Blue Madison, 2017 Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 05:05:59 PM »
The decals even look similar to Peugeot. The straight bars were more than likely stock. I've seen quite a few French women's bikes with the straight bars. I know I prefer them on a tourist set up. 

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 06:56:21 PM »
I have to say that, much as I am a lover of vintage accessories, that generator set is a complete eyesore. :P It appears to be a cheap Hong Kong set, and the 4-pole or 6-pole generator is nowhere close to being correctly mounted as well.

A nice vintage lighting set for that bike, in keeping with its French heritage, would be a Soubitez set, or a Cibié, or even a Dynohub laced into the front wheel. Soubitez made several designs of headlight back then in their "golf-ball" series (the same unit seen on the Soubitez 89 or Schwinn Sprint block generator) that would look good, and Cibié had their own version of a bullet taillight that I wrote about in colorful (and, okay, not very flattering) terms here almost ten years ago now. (https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=9352.msg47047)

It's a nice bike, but I would relieve it of that light set.

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 01:09:49 AM »
I saw some blog where they stated it was a Gitane.  I've never seen any other proof of that.  The stem has the Peugeot dancing lion logo on it.   Sold the bike many years a go so some teen age girl.  Perhaps she will go to France some day. And yeah, I removed the light set.  Jeunet, Follis, and le Jeunnette bikes had foil decals.  I remember seeing some le Jeunette bikes in the early 1970s. Haven't see one since.

The shop sticker on the Hostler is another story. The Bicycle Peddler of Cedar Rapids.  Dennis Malone owned the Bicycle Peddler in Iowa City.  They sold a number of French brands.  He used to go on Ragbrai in the early years. Got popular for selling beer to minors (age 21 then).  I bought a set of Cinelli M71 pedals there in the late 1970s.  In the early 1980s his downtown Iowa City store caught fire and burned out the buildings on both sides.  Seriously, the IC fire department has a 100 year tradition of not being able to put out fires.  $1M+ damage. The famous Prairie Lights book store is at the location now.   They charged him with arson at the insurance companies insistence.  The fire department's investigation was pretty shoddy. The defending lawyer ripped all their evidence and theories in the trial.  The trial lawyer pointed out there was no electricity in the area where the fire started.  They said he dumped a flammable fluid all over when their own photos showed it was bike lubes that dripped down from up stairs during the fire.  Found not guilty but the insurance company refused to pay.  He reopened at another location in Iowa City and also keep going on Ragbrai as that can make shops more money in a hurry. He had to rebuild his business from a deep hole. My brother worked for him at the new location. I'd stop and visit.  The stench was a bit much Dennis smoked like crazy but didn't seem to know he smoked.  My brother was always going about the shop snuffing out the fully lit cigs Dennis would set them down on any surface.  He would lite up, take 1 puff, set the full cig on a bike box.  Walk around in a daze, lite up another.   Just an absent minded smoker.  The dean of my college was another. Once seen walking through an airport leaving a smoke trail behind. He'd put a lit cig in his suit pocket and forgot it.  After a couple years at the new location, he bagged it and moved out east somewhere, I think Pennsylvannia.  I never knew he had a Cedar Rapids store or who ran that. That was well before I moved there.

"Press-Citizen Reporters: Damage from a weekend fire that destroyed four businesses in downtown Iowa City may reach $1 million, Iowa City Fire Chief Robert Keating said today. Fire investigators said today they still didn't know what caused the blaze, which also damaged three other buildings that housed four businesses and two apartments late Friday night and early Saturday morning. Clean-up crews were asked to clean the rubble "more or less a piece at a time" to help officials searching for the fire's cause, Keating said. Clean-up would begin after insurance adjustors complete their damage estimates, Keating said. The investigation may take a day or two, he said. The fire started in the basement of The Bicycle Peddlers, 15 S. Dubuque St., Keating said. It spread throughout the building, which also housed Comer's Pipe & Gift Shop, 13 S. Dubuque St.; Lind's Printing Service Inc., 13 S. Dubuque St., and WGN Cos. Inc.,"

A Peugeot Sport I had a couple years ago from The Bicycle Peddlers.  The one photo I took of the bike is at the address on the bike.

Trying to translate the tubing sticker  Beaulieu (in England!, home of the British National Motor Museum) and Valentigney in France seem to be the locations of two of Peugeot's factories.

Originally millers, then tanners, the Peugeot Family became metallurgists, first foundry men and then steel workers. The two elder brothers set up a company in 1810, Peugeot Frère Ainés. The industrial revolution that followed transformed the Peugeot destiny.

The factories are based in the towns around Sochaux: Sous-Cratet, Terre Blanche, Beaulieu, Valentigney, Pont de Roide. These factories embodied the success & strength of the metalworking industry for decades. Peugeot expanded in several domains in the decades that followed.

New and innovative systems were set up to look after the workers in both their professional and personal life. Genuine social progresses were constituted: emergency funds for the staff, welfare aid for sickness, invalidity or death and allowance for old age. Peugeot turned the social order upside down, strengthening the idea that working in a factory was not necessarily harder than working in the fields.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84