Author Topic: 1973 Raleigh International  (Read 1155 times)

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
1973 Raleigh International
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »
I bought this brand new when I worked at the local Raleigh Pro Shop.
The shop owner took exception to me riding my Schwinn Varsity to work.  Kinda like driving a Toyota to a GM or Ford plant. It was the last Raleigh (still in the box) from the 1973 season that had not been assembled or sold.
I made many changes and upgrades early on and again during a cleaning and rebuild a few years ago.
Fork!  The original fork was brazed rather crooked.  That was replaced under warranty right away.
Traded in the sew up wheels during the purchace for clincher rims and tires with Campagnolo high flange hubs and 3 Star stainless spokes (big deal in the early 1970s).
TTT bars and stem, later changed to Raleigh branded.
Everest freewheel
Campagnolo Super Record pedals with Binda Extra straps.
Raleigh imprinted bar tape.
Weinman center pull brakes changed to Dura Ace racing sidepull brakes in 1974, now has Campagnolo Record brakeset. (with fresh dia compe rubber grips)

1973 was the first year Raleigh sold the International in my size.  Used to be most euro race bikes were only made in 23" frames.  It took quite a while for many of the manufactures to offer more sizes.

The color is called Champagne.  Ooh, it's still boring tan with gold pin stripes.

I rode this on SAGBRAI in 1974 (Ragbrai 2 before they saw the light.  Great Bike Ride Across Iowa, Second Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa, you figure it out.) It was one of the best bikes on the ride that year and attracted a bit of attention from the racers.  I rode it for a couple years doing club rides and weekend camping trips.  I plan on riding it on Ragbrai in 2024, yeah 50 years later on.  I never raced it. I had access to so many bikes then, I bought a Masi, Gal Mozzi, Colnago, Teledyne, etc and raced on those.

The International was nearly identical to the stock Schwinn Paramount specs wise.  Reynolds 531 tubing, Campagnolo drive train, Weinman brakes.  Schwinn used Cinnelli bars and stems. Raleigh made their own GB bars that were nowhere near as nice.  Similar lugs too.    I think Carlton was one of the Euro bike makers that influenced Schwinn's design.  Made by Carlton, a separate high end British bike maker that  Raleigh bought up.   Raleigh changed the names of many of the Carlton models but put a Carlton sticker on the bikes.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
Re: 1973 Raleigh International
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
Nice bike Rick! 
The Champagne color was much better than the other color ("Chartreuse") that Raleigh offered on this bike IMO.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 02:46:29 PM »
The shop owner took exception to me riding my Schwinn Varsity to work.  Kinda like driving a Toyota to a GM or Ford plant.

Very well said. Back when my company was visiting our customer Ford in Dearborn (MI), we were expected to rent Fords (which I was happy to do; this was back when you could get a Lincoln Town Car from Budget for $19.95/day or some insanely cheap price). One Ford facility we visited (and I think this was true of others as well) actually had a two-zone parking lot, where the inner zone was reserved for Ford vehicles only. All others had to park in the outer lot.

GM was probably a little less finicky about visitors in Toyotas, as they had partnered with Toyota back in 1984 and did some shared production under the NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc.) corporate name. (1984-2010)

Offline FICHT 150

• Global Moderator
  • Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 10:03:02 PM »
Ever been to the ABCE? It belongs there.

Ted
"You never see rust spots under a run in the paint" Ted Senior, R.I.P. 1929-2009.
 '59 Tiger, 5, count ‘em, '67 Raleigh Sprite internal hub 5 speeds,'72 Heavy-Duti '73 Le Tour, 1963 Raleigh Colt, 1972 Peugeot UO8, ‘53 Raleigh Sports Tourist, 4 Raleigh DL1 Roadsters, 1941 Colson Scout.

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 10:58:09 PM »
I had it there about 4 or 5 years ago. got an award from Jon.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84