Author Topic: 125th Anniversary Black Phantoms  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
125th Anniversary Black Phantoms
« on: August 14, 2020, 05:56:29 AM »
Get them while they are available........

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: 125th Anniversary Black Phantoms
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 03:32:09 AM »
Interesting that nobody has made a comment on these bikes?

They are currently SOLD OUT at Walmart.com

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
I was considering getting one of these. I felt even though there are some pretty big discrepancies in between this and the originals and the 1995 repops, for the money, I think they are a pretty kewel looking bike for $500.00. Since I retired, I have to watch my pennies a bit more closely, now. I probably would not ride it too much. The way everyone on the CABE is talking, it would fall apart the first time you took it out for a ride.
Still me after all these years. Just older, grayer and saggier.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 07:15:11 PM »
Just my $.02, but I can't see laying out $500 for a reproduction (which will, after all, always be seen as a reproduction and not the real thing).

What I mean is that if I had that much money laying around, I think I'd work on building up more, until I had enough to get a genuine original (in whatever condition I would be happy with). That was the approach I took in buying my '69 Krate from Minnesota last February, as opposed to buying a later reproduction (one of which was for sale in a bike shop about 20 minutes from my house).

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »
We get endless chinese made wallyworld bikes at the local coop.  For durability issues, the poor assembly is what ruins them.  Lack of grease and badly adjusted bearings.  Few would last 1000 miles.  The stamped sheet metal hubs are the worst.  BB's way too tight.  Any of those bikes needs a full bearing clean, regrease and proper adjustment right out of the box. Even so the bearing quality is low and won't last.    Most frames are overbuilt, that is rather heavy and indestructible.  Good for ballast for the container ships. The most common recall is the welded shock forks.  They have a date or week of manufacturer so recalls only cover bikes made a particular week. The other issue is many steel parts are poorly galvanized, poorly chrome or not plated at all.  You never see "triple plate" on Chinese bikes.  get them wet and they rust up.  Most won't last 1 winter if used or left out doors. There is nothing "quality" about them.  It's all about the looks with none of the engineering or decent materials you see in good bikes.
"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
I bought one of those cheapo Firmstrong china cruisers a few years back and paid about $175 shipped. I upgraded the handlebars to Wald, installed Hunt Wilde grips, put a Selle Royal fat butt saddle on, the bottom bracket was damaged in shipping so I bought one from Harris Cyclery and put a Wald basket on it. All in all it probably cost me under $300 total with all those upgrades and it's still way better than the Wally World Phantom. It came with Kenda white walls, aluminum powder coated rims, KT coaster hub, and and machined aluminum front hub with 14 ga stainless spokes front and rear. It even fits me. Is the bike junk? Yeah, somewhat but with the upgrades it's tolerable and comfortable. I can't see spending $500 on a bike that has even less quality than my cheapie. At least the fenders on my cheapie are entirely powder coated and so is the frame. Welds are sufficient but nothing to write home about.

Offline Randall

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 04:58:31 AM »
Here is a video review of the bikes..........

Offline Tourer1

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 08:13:23 AM »
I would have bought one if I knew about them