Author Topic: Completed Resto on a '76 Raleigh Gran Sport  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
Completed Resto on a '76 Raleigh Gran Sport
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
I purchased this bike last month from a (relatively) local Craigslist ad. 
I did a complete disassembly - I removed the fork/handlebars from the headset, the crank from the bottom bracket (see earlier post for details), and the axles from both the front and rear hubs. I then cleaned all these parts/bearings, greased/packed all the bearings with the proper lube, and reassembled all of these components.
For the cosmetic restoration on this bike, I cleaned all the exposed nuts and bolts when they were disassembled. The frame and fork were in surprisingly excellent condition for a 44-year-old bike, but I did apply some touch-up paint to the few nicks. I cleaned and polished both the front and rear rims, derailleurs, hubs, handlebars and brake systems, and correctly reinstalled all these components to the frame and fork. Tires are NOS. New cables/covers have also been installed/greased to control the brakes and derailleurs.  Then some new handlebar tape. 
Will take her out tomorrow for her shakedown.  She tested fine on the bike stand though.
I won't be selling this one...my 'new' daily rider!
Steve

Offline BOB LOBLAW

• Skids and Wheelies
Re: Completed Resto on a '76 Raleigh Gran Sport
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »
Verynice
“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ”
 John Howard

"you can observe a lot just by watching" Yogi Bera

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »
Thanks Bob!  As far as bike restorations go, this was a relatively easy one. 
Only part I had to do some serious painting and detailing to was the original bicycle pump.  May do a separate thread on that...

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:28:55 PM »
Forgot to mention - I was able to purchase on eBay (from a seller in Serbia, of all places) the correct, 'Reynolds 531' decals that I placed on the top of the seat tube and both sides of the forks.  Same goes for the 'Carlton' decal for the lower seat tube near the BB, and on the refurbished pump.  FYI, the Carlton decals were from a seller in England.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »
Same goes for the 'Carlton' decal for the lower seat tube near the BB, and on the refurbished pump.  FYI, the Carlton decals were from a seller in England.

That's what I loved about poking around bicycle shops in England: the building would invariably be 250+ years old, give or take a King or two, and the shop would have parts in stock dating back to the Protestant Reformation.

In the photo (below) that I took in Cambridge a few years back, the light blue building in the distance is The Pickerel, a pub dating back to the 16th century, and Bridge Cycles is the shop in the middle (look for person with orange backpack). It's hard to say which business was there first.  ;D

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 07:59:40 PM »
That's what I loved about poking around bicycle shops in England: the building would invariably be 250+ years old, give or take a King or two, and the shop would have parts in stock dating back to the Protestant Reformation.

In the photo (below) that I took in Cambridge a few years back, the light blue building in the distance is The Pickerel, a pub dating back to the 16th century, and Bridge Cycles is the shop in the middle (look for person with orange backpack). It's difficult to tell which business was there first.  ;D
Interesting stuff, Andrew.
In your photo: any info on the two babes in the lower left?  Had to ask - I'm a (retired) Naval Aviator...

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 08:47:55 PM »
In your photo: any info on the two babes in the lower left?  Had to ask - I'm a (retired) Naval Aviator...

Nobody I know, sorry. Photo was taken April 2, 2017, so I suspect they've gone now. OTOH, Cambridge is one of THE two college towns in England (the other being Oxford), so there are plenty more to meet where those came from.  :D

The place is a total melting pot. You meet people from anywhere and everywhere.

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
Whatever...
So, what did you think of the resto I did to my bike? 

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 09:36:58 PM »
Back to the bike....   It came out GREAT!!!!   I am looking forward to the pump rebuild. I have a pump that need this.
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 09:43:14 PM »
Thanks Don! 
Tomorrow, I'll take/post some photos of the details of the pump's innards, and show you what I did. 

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 09:45:17 PM »
Thanks!   My 1939 Raleigh as a pump that I would like to get to work.  I feel they "Might not be the same model"  But... It will give me a starting point.
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:06 PM »
Whatever...
So, what did you think of the resto I did to my bike?  That's what my subject post (and ultimately this forum) is supposed to be about...isn't it?

Yes! Sorry, I was wandering off-topic again; my bad.  ::)

The bike came out great, and a thread on refurbishing the pump would be very helpful. I've got a rough non-functioning example on the rescue Collegiate that will need looking into. Maybe you could put up something in the Shop Talk group about what you did with that? I haven't looked on the Collegiate's pump to find out, but it would not surprise me if it came from a British supplier.

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »
Don, et al.,
Regarding the bicycle pump: here’s what I started with, and the finished product.
Photo #1 shows the completed uncompressed pump when removed from the bike.  Appx 18 1/2” in length.
Photo #2 shows the inner rod extended from the outer piece.  The black plastic piece in the center of this photo unscrews to allow you to get to:
Photo #3, with the inner rod removed from the outer pipe.  The dark brownish piece to the left of the spring is the new leather plunger cup that I replaced on this pump; this cup provides the seal to pump air into the tire (the old cup was shot).
Photo #4 is a detailed picture of this leather plunger cup.  There are two additional new leather plunger cups above and below the attached leather plunger cup for comparison.
Photo #5 shows how the leather plunger cup is attached to the inner rod.  The screw holds the metal plate inside the bottom of the cup.
Photo #6 shows the OD of the leather plunger cup (appx 23mm).

Note that the leather cup required some generous application of some 3-in-one oil.  Another light machine oil would have worked too. 
Bottom line, this pump now actually works, and will inflate a bike tire with a Presta valve. 

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 11:07:40 PM »
Final on the pump: Cosmetically, I lightly sanded the outer pump and sprayed 4 coats of gloss white enamel on it.  After several days, I buffed the painted part with some polishing compound, and finished with some Turtle wax.  Finally, I added the ‘Carlton’ decal.

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 11:13:35 PM »
...a thread on refurbishing the pump would be very helpful...Maybe you could put up something in the Shop Talk group about what you did with that?
Will do, Andy.  I'll post a dupe on what I published here in that section.