Author Topic: 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
1976 Raleigh Gran Sport
« on: July 17, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »
Was able to procure a ’76 Raleigh Gran Sport (the one I showed from a Craigslist ad on Oscar’s earlier post) in that stunning Lagoon Blue color with white and chrome trim.  Bike is in better shape than described…seller was orig owner who didn’t ride her much the past 40 years, and it shows!  Hardly any dings or nicks, and with the exception of the tires, rack, and handlebar tape, everything is original. 
Nice used Brooks B17 saddle – a few scuffs but nicely broken in.  Weinmann brakes and rims.   Normandie hubs.
Interesting on the crankset.  Previous year had a Stronglight crank, but this year switched to the Raleigh alloy cotterless with the alloy disc chainguard. 
Frame is the Reynolds 531 double butted tubing.  After working on Schwinns for the past six months, this bike is surprisingly light!
Current tires are made for a light trail in addition to the concrete road.  May keep them for a while!
Serial number WG6001148.  ‘W’ Equates to a Worksop (Carlton) factory build, ‘G’ and ‘6’ = May 1976.  The other six numerals ID the unit number in the production run for the year. 
In the past 20 years, I’ve never purchased a used bike in this good of a condition.  Bike shifts well, brakes well.  That said, I plan (in the near future) to do a full nut/bolt resto with new cables/covers, grease all bearings, clean F & R derailleurs, and shine everything up. 
As such, more to follow.  In the meantime, some 'before' photos.
Steve

Offline BOB LOBLAW

• Skids and Wheelies
Re: 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »
NICE SCORE!!!
“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ”
 John Howard

"you can observe a lot just by watching" Yogi Bera

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 06:09:49 PM »
Thanks Bob!  Yeah, I got lucky on this one.  Seller lives in rural Nebraska, and maybe potential buyers didn't want to travel an hour's drive north of Omaha or south from Sioux City to take a gamble.  Anyway, since I have the same passion for Raleighs as I do Schwinns, I didn't mind the drive north this morning. 
When I arrived at the seller's location, and he opened the garage door to display the bike, I got that wonderful feeling that you get when you go to a garage sale and you see something that is (bike-related) close to the Holy Grail that you were looking for. 
This '76 Raleigh Gran Sport was it.  She was absolutely gorgeous!  And then the seller and I actually haggled to a mutually-agreeable price! ;)  Win-win!
This has been a great day! :) 
Steve

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 06:27:24 PM »
Nice.  First item will be get rid of those tractor tires!  they will make the bike ride like it's a truck.

The white plastic brake lever covers will wash up easy with dish washing soap.   They aren't the gum rubber type that rot.  I usually just remove the entire lever for washing in the kitchen sink. Trying to get those covers off and back on is a bit of a battle and you risk tearing them.  The brake lever body and lever are aluminum so no worries about getting them wet.  409 kitchen cleaner works well too if you don't want to take them off the bike.  No new ones available. There are rubber versions from Cane Creek but those don't look nearly as nice as the white cover.

Can't tell from the photos but the original brake cable housing is ribbed and you won't find that for sale.  I usually just snip the bent over ends off. Those can be washed too.

Stem is up beyond the limit.  FYI, the stem bolts and seat post bolts are whitworth!  Not metric, not SAE.  using the wrong size wrenches will ruin the nuts/bolt heads.   The "R" nuts are quite pricey so go easy on them.  You don't need a full set of whitworth wrenches, just the 2 sizes. And under Whitworth, the wrenches are labeled with the bolt size, not the bolt head size.  A 1/4" bolt takes a 1/4w wrench even though the head is much larger.  A box end wrench is best for not dinging up the chromed bolt heads/nuts. 

The Raleigh branded SR crank set is from a 1977+ Grand Prix.  I wonder why someone changed that out.  Unless they messed up the pedal threads on the Nervar.   Some of the "Raleigh" SR cranks did have smaller rings. Standard 52/42 might have been swapped for a 39/xx.
Or perhaps they ran out of Nervar and just put on the new cheaper cranks.  76 was the last year for the Gran Sport in this configuration. There was a later all Asian built  Gran Sport that looked nothing like it.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »
Nice.  First item will be get rid of those tractor tires!  they will make the bike ride like it's a truck.

The white plastic brake lever covers will wash up easy with dish washing soap.   They aren't the gum rubber type that rot.  I usually just remove the entire lever for washing in the kitchen sink. Trying to get those covers off and back on is a bit of a battle and you risk tearing them.  The brake lever body and lever are aluminum so no worries about getting them wet.  409 kitchen cleaner works well too if you don't want to take them off the bike.

Can't tell from the photos but the original brake cable housing is ribbed and you won't find that for sale.  I usually just snip the bent over ends off. Those can be washed too.

Great info Rick (was waiting for your 'Raleigh expertise' response of things to fix!).  Thanks for all the advice!
The previous owner stated he wanted to make this bike more 'mountainous'...hence, the tires.
That said, any suggestions for obtaining some NOS Raleigh white handlebar tape?  Also, NOS white replacement sets for the inner/outer brake and derailleur cables?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
Rick, another question.  Is the crankset on this bike (based on the earlier photos) correct?
Again, thanks.

Offline BOB LOBLAW

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 07:10:29 PM »
Off topic,  Hey Rick, do you know where to find a rear fender in dark green for a Raleigh Sprite 10 for cheap? tia
 John Howard

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
Congrats on getting the bike Steve! I was hoping you would get it 👍 Certainly a diamond in the rough and one that will clean up nicely, I know you will passionately restore it back to it's original glory. The Lagoon Blue is a very nice color and I love the contrast with the whit stripes, hoods and bar-tape. I was able to find period correct ribbed white Raleigh cable for a UK eBay seller, there were a few options I saw some I'm sure you will be able to find some.
Mine were listed as seen below and look identical to the originals on my bike
NOS sturmey archer twist grip cable for vintage bicycle raleigh phillips HSJ-106( 322449446281 )

Here is a current eBay search for similar options

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=NOS+sturmey+archer+twist+grip+cable+for+vintage+bicycle+raleigh+phillips+HSJ-106&_id=322449446281&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l46251
That 70's Schwinn Vintage Bike Channel
A collection early 70's Lightweights, Muscle Bikes and
restoration projects completed.

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 07:54:07 PM »
Congrats on getting the bike Steve! I was hoping you would get it 👍 Certainly a diamond in the rough and one that will clean up nicely, I know you will passionately restore it back to it's original glory. The Lagoon Blue is a very nice color and I love the contrast with the whit stripes, hoods and bar-tape. I was able to find period correct ribbed white Raleigh cable for a UK eBay seller, there were a few options I saw some I'm sure you will be able to find some.
Mine were listed as seen below and look identical to the originals on my bike
NOS sturmey archer twist grip cable for vintage bicycle raleigh phillips HSJ-106( 322449446281 )

Here is a current eBay search for similar options

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=NOS+sturmey+archer+twist+grip+cable+for+vintage+bicycle+raleigh+phillips+HSJ-106&_id=322449446281&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l46251

Thanks Oscar!  Again, appreciate the kind words.  Like you, I really like the contrasting colors.
The link you provided should work fine.  Thanks again for that.  I'll let you know how it works out.
Steve

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 08:30:41 PM »
Off topic,  Hey Rick, do you know where to find a rear fender in dark green for a Raleigh Sprite 10 for cheap? tia

Dark green? that would be an oldie.  There was the nice Emerald Green in the 1970s.    Any Sprite fender will be hard to find.  Most of the Raleighs with fenders were 26" or 28". Plenty of the 26" around.
"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 12:54:55 AM »

Dark green? that would be an oldie.  There was the nice Emerald Green in the 1970s.    Any Sprite fender will be hard to find.  Most of the Raleighs with fenders were 26" or 28". Plenty of the 26" around.

I found a Sprite at the local coop. Missing the front fender. sooooo, the rear is available.  Brown.  I'll post photos tomorrow. (later today).  I noticed today that the fenders on Schwinn World Tourists are very similar. Same shape but different stays.  There is a pair or more of those at the coop.

Offline summerbike72

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 07:26:05 AM »
What a BEAUTIFUL bike !!!!!!

LOVE the colors !!!!!

That is a " keeper " for sure !!!!

I have a 1973 and it is a VERY SMOOTH ride !!!!!!

WELL worth the drive!!

I drove 770 miles round trip to get my " grail" bike last October !!

1973 Paramount Lemon Yellow......22 inch frame

ALL original with upgraded Campy brake levers !!!!

Congrats again !!!!!!!

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »

I found a Sprite at the local coop. Missing the front fender. sooooo, the rear is available.  Brown.  I'll post photos tomorrow. (later today).  I noticed today that the fenders on Schwinn World Tourists are very similar. Same shape but different stays.  There is a pair or more of those at the coop.

sorry BOB LOBLAW, the rear fender on the Sprite is a Schwinn Suburban fender modified to fit.  So no oem Sprite fenders here.

Offline BOB LOBLAW

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »
No problem. If I get it, chrome Schwinn fenders would be easier to source ad make fit.
 John Howard

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
What a BEAUTIFUL bike !!!!!!
LOVE the colors !!!!!
That is a " keeper " for sure !!!!
I have a 1973 and it is a VERY SMOOTH ride !!!!!!
WELL worth the drive!!
I drove 770 miles round trip to get my " grail" bike last October !!
1973 Paramount Lemon Yellow......22 inch frame
ALL original with upgraded Campy brake levers !!!!
Congrats again !!!!!!!

Thanks Michael!  My youth was spent riding Raleighs and clones (Hercules).
Just disassembled her this PM.  I ordered a used Park tool (CCP-2) on eBay to correctly remove the crank, then the frame will be ready for cleaning.  Schwinn cranks are infinitely easier to disassemble, but weigh a lot more.  Anyway, during the headset disassembly, I managed to salvage all the ball bearings; they are bagged for reassembly.
While I await the Park crank tool, I'll start cleaning the other parts.
All parts are in excellent shape BTW.  The chain looks like it was hardly used.  Even the frame has only a few nicks and scrapes. 
Steve