Author Topic: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport Lagoon Blue  (Read 2679 times)

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
1975 Raleigh Gran Sport Lagoon Blue
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:17:39 PM »
While waiting on parts for my Schwinn Superior project, I was able to get the Raleigh up and running so I can enjoy and ride it as it is, in the fall I will move forward with the rebuild and get her back to 1975 Raleigh Catalog specs.
Pretty Sweet ride  😏👍🚲
That 70's Schwinn Vintage Bike Channel
A collection early 70's Lightweights, Muscle Bikes and
restoration projects completed.

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
Re: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport Lagoon Blue
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 07:18:37 PM »

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »
I worked at a Raleigh Pro Shop in the 1970s.  A couple notes on yours.  The Raleigh branded Weinman made center pull brakes didn't come out until 1977.  That was the year Raleigh changed a lot of bikes from euro parts to Japanese made (and branded with Raleigh) and blinged up a lot of the bikes and discontinued the Gran Sport.  The front reflector bracket/cable stop is a later model. The Gran Sport had the standard Weinman center pull bracket.

Looks nice.  I bought one for a cousin.  I think she still has it.  My 89 year old mother is still riding her 1975 Grand Prix that I got for her for Easter in 1975.  Not much paint left on it. Not many original parts either.    It's been her townie and trail bike since new.  i still have my 1972/3 Raleigh International that I rode on Sagbrai (Ragbrai #2) that I plan on riding on Ragbrai 50 years after I rode it for it's first Ragbrai.

rick
"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
I worked at a Raleigh Pro Shop in the 1970s.  A couple notes on yours.  The Raleigh branded Weinman made center pull brakes didn't come out until 1977.  That was the year Raleigh changed a lot of bikes from euro parts to Japanese made (and branded with Raleigh) and blinged up a lot of the bikes and discontinued the Gran Sport.  The front reflector bracket/cable stop is a later model. The Gran Sport had the standard Weinman center pull bracket.

Looks nice.  I bought one for a cousin.  I think she still has it.  My 89 year old mother is still riding her 1975 Grand Prix that I got for her for Easter in 1975.  Not much paint left on it. Not many original parts either.    It's been her townie and trail bike since new.  i still have my 1972/3 Raleigh International that I rode on Sagbrai (Ragbrai #2) that I plan on riding on Ragbrai 50 years after I rode it for it's first Ragbrai.

rick

Thanks for the info  Rick,

I looked at a few examples of the Gran Sport and they all appear to have the wienmann brakes, were they the same but not Raleigh Branded? I noticed mine had blue Raleigh branded in the front and a standard red in the back, so maybe it was a replacement part along with the straight bar and center pull hanger which I have already found the standard Weinman center pull bracket.

The eBay seller listed it as a 1975, can you identify the year based on the serial number image below?
I can't wait to rebuild it with the drop down bars as seen in the catalog.

Thanks again for you feedback.

Oscar

Offline BOB LOBLAW

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 12:02:46 PM »
great looking bike! 
“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ”
 John Howard

"you can observe a lot just by watching" Yogi Bera

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 12:07:30 PM »
great looking bike!

Thanks Bob!

Rides nice too 😏🚲

Oscar

Offline BOB LOBLAW

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »
In the video you mentioned saddle discomfort, go to a Specialized dealer and get your sit bones measured.
“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ”
 John Howard

"you can observe a lot just by watching" Yogi Bera

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 12:14:23 AM »

The eBay seller listed it as a 1975, can you identify the year based on the serial number image below?

Oscar

yes, January 1975.
first digit/char is factory/location.  W=Worksop
second digit is month, A=January
3rd digit is year 5=1975
the rest is a sequence number

Worksop is where Carlton was located.  Raleigh buying Carlton in 1960 is what put Raleigh in the high end road bike biz.  Before that their main emphasis was 3 speed bikes with a few entry level 10 speed bikes.  Worksop is 30 miles north of Nottingham where Raleigh HQ and their big factory was.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »

Oscar

yes, January 1975.
first digit/char is factory/location.  W=Worksop
second digit is month, A=January
3rd digit is year 5=1975
the rest is a sequence number

Worksop is where Carlton was located.  Raleigh buying Carlton in 1960 is what put Raleigh in the high end road bike biz.  Before that their main emphasis was 3 speed bikes with a few entry level 10 speed bikes.  Worksop is 30 miles north of Nottingham where Raleigh HQ and their big factory was.

Thanks! I was guessing the A and 5 may be similar to the Schwinn SN, thanks for the details regarding the brand manufacturing history.

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »
In the video you mentioned saddle discomfort, go to a Specialized dealer and get your sit bones measured.
They are not as bad as mentioned but compared to a Gel saddle I was riding recently, they are less accommodating, but definitely look cool😏👍

Offline Eagle 71

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 03:33:22 PM »
Nice find there Oscar...bike is beautiful! 

My first bike was a Raleigh Record in 1968.  I have two Grand Prix's, but they're hanging in the garage.

Coincidentally I was looking at a nearly-identical bike on craigslist (see below listing).  Sent several questions to the seller, but no response yet.  I'm assuming that the derailleurs are Simplex (identical to yours), with a Nervar crank.

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/d/tekamah-raleigh-gran-sport/7149625267.html

I'm curious as to why the bike for sale has the plastic spoke protector and wheel reflectors, as only the high-end Raleighs (in their '77 catalog) had that setup.  Anyway, $240 seems a bit high...hopefully the seller is willing to come down in price.

Steve

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »

I'm curious as to why the bike for sale has the plastic spoke protector and wheel reflectors, as only the high-end Raleighs (in their '77 catalog) had that setup.

Can't speak to what the reasoning was about the plastic spoke protector, unless the wheel was replaced or the owner wanted it added, but the wheel reflectors were already required by gummint mandate when that bike was new, so I would suspect that they're contemporary to that bike, and probably original.

Those are Cat Eye RR-950s, the biggest production wheel reflectors I have come across, and they're real eyecatchers to look at, especially after dark. I sold one of those on the 'Bay recently, and packaging that boomerang-like shape for safe shipping was... interesting...  ::)

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »
Actually that's a very good price and the bike appears to be in great shape.  I often see the next model down (Super Course) selling for $375.  I worked in a Raleigh dealer at the time and there weren't a lot of Gran Sport bikes sold.  With the Reynolds 531 db main frame, it will ride better than cheaper bikes.

As to the reflectors, etc. That was right about the time of the CPSC revised standards for reflectors, front wheel retention  devices, torque specs, no toe clip to fender over lap, no more pointy objects on any bike, etc.  The fine print was goofy.  No toe clip vs fender over lap allowed but if the bike didn't have fenders, it was okay for toe clips to over lap the front wheel.  I expect the catalog was a timing issue.  Photos before the laws kicked in or after.

I've seen countless bikes destroyed by putting the rear der in to the spokes.  So many that the entire high end bike industry switched to replaceable hangers. Soft aluminum that is sacrificed to save the frame from total destruction.  Most of the plastic guards are allergic to the sun. they dissolved in UV light.  The other issue is dropping a der bike on the right side and bending the hanger.  the adjuster limit screws are set for a straight der and they won't keep it out of the spokes once bent.

rick

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
As always, great information, I agree the Craigslist price is fair based on the frame and the overall condition, it's got the pump I'm looking for too, pretty sweet example!

Offline That 70s Schwinn

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
Nice find there Oscar...bike is beautiful! 

My first bike was a Raleigh Record in 1968.  I have two Grand Prix's, but they're hanging in the garage.

Coincidentally I was looking at a nearly-identical bike on craigslist (see below listing).  Sent several questions to the seller, but no response yet.  I'm assuming that the derailleurs are Simplex (identical to yours), with a Nervar crank.

I'm curious as to why the bike for sale has the plastic spoke protector and wheel reflectors, as only the high-end Raleighs (in their '77 catalog) had that setup.  Anyway, $240 seems a bit high...hopefully the seller is willing to come down in price.

Steve

Thanks Steve!
Looks like the bike you found is pretty sweet, the price is not bad as is but if the seller takes your best offer, even better. The pump is what I have been looking for, I already found the white hooded Carlton Weinmann brake levers.
Keep us posted
Oscar