Author Topic: serial number question  (Read 875 times)

Offline chrisbr66

• Training Wheel
serial number question
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
hello, I'm brand new to the group and have a question.  I recently purchased a World Sport (garage find) but the serial number seems in an odd place.  The number is below the crank and starts with a GC.  I know it is from Giant but there is also no serial number or date code on the right rear axel hanger.  It seems strange but I cannot find any information on the web as to this specific location.  Does anyone know anything about Schwinn/Giant serial numbers that could help me out??? Thanks!!

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
Re: serial number question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
Check the head badge for a 4 digit number too.

And post photos.  The forum software limits file sizes.  I use a free site (flickr.com) and post the links to my photos there.

It could be an early World Sport. Schwinn was going thru a major transition in the 1980s and Schwinn bikes were made in many places.

rick
"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I find that this site has the best image and verbal description of Schwinn serial numbers.

http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

Offline chrisbr66

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Thank you both!!  I still haven't found the exact info I was looking for but I love the bike so much that it really doesn't matter.  All I had to do was give it a wash and clean off a little surface rust and the bike looks almost brand new.  Not bad for 35$ :)  Happy riding!