Author Topic: Just got this in......  (Read 274 times)

Offline davidissugar

• Training Wheel
Just got this in......
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
I purchased the bike on March 5. Only a little over two months to bring this one home. It was located about 90 miles away. Life gets busy. Feedback please. What kind of pedals? I know about the reflector. Any of those black knobs that sit on the brake housing above the lever available? You can see one of the cable slots on the frame has been broken off. Zip tie to the rescue.

It's a 1978. It's going to shine up nice.

David
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:07:23 AM by acg_schwinn »

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
Re: Just got this in......
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:22:59 AM »
If the bike is a '78 Super Le Tour 12.2 it came with Kyokuto Top Run pedals.

Offline rickpaulos

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »
For that broken cable housing stop.

A: Mask around it, file it down smooth. Touch it up with clear nail polish so it doesn't rust.  Then use old school chrome brake cable housing clips.  Most bikes used cable clips until the mid 1970s.  Campy, Suntour, Shimano, REG, Mafac, etc all made them.  Black sure distracts from the chrome.

B: Hire a good frame builder "Silver braze" on a new one.  Like brass brazing but using silver (Ag) instead.  Silver melts at a lower temp and that should work to avoid damaging the chrome plate.  I saw Teesdale do something similar, replaced a steerer tube in a fork with a chrome plated crown. There was just a hit of bluing and that was a much more massive part that needed more heat. Some high end builders would use silver instead of the various brass alloys before the prices of gold and silver sky rocketed.  And you wouldn't need to re-plate to hide the silver.  A stainless steel stop would match better than plain steel.

The Super Le Tour 12.2 was available stock in chrome in the 1978 & 1979 catalogs.

Rick
1950 Ace-1964 Traveler 3 speed-89 Circuit-78 Super Le Tour-Continental-Varsity-High Sierra-2001 Black Panther-60s Typhoonx2-BFK NIB-63 American
for sale:
64 Super Sport 21"-Speedster 3-Speedster 3-Hollywood-Caliente-more

Offline WheresMyBike

• Skids and Wheelies
  • Looking for an original red '69 Midget Stingray
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
'78 catalog

Offline davidissugar

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
Thanks for all of the info. Changed out the seat and ordered a NOS clamp on 1978 water bottle cage. The bike feels great. It is going to make a great rider once I take it out of the living room.

David

Offline acg_schwinn

• Board Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
It is going to make a great rider once I take it out of the living room.

I miss the bachelor life...  :-\  ;D