Author Topic: Old Schwinn Le Tour  (Read 900 times)

Offline Tonecaster

• Training Wheel
Old Schwinn Le Tour
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
My brother Ron gave me a Schwinn Le Tour that was bought new by our youngest brother Tom. It needs a lot of work as it was originally red but Ron painted black back in the late 70's. The Serial number is L326274. I think it was made in Dec of 73 so an early 74 model. It has an upgraded Shimano derailleur. It is a 25" frame and might be worth fixing up. Not sure what I might do. What are your thoughts?

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
Re: Old Schwinn Le Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:01:33 PM »
A worthy project for a good cleaning up and replacement of some parts like the cables, chain, tires perhaps.

Repaint is an option and it looks like it could use it.  IMO, the original red was a standard rustoleum color so it is easy to find.   A rattle can spray job with a good prep can have it looking decent.  Spending $$$ on a paint job or powder coat is a bit much for a LeTour.  Decals are usually available on the web or ebay.

That rear der wasn't an upgrade, more like a down grade. It is much newer.  Probably done to replace a damaged der for not much money or to accommodate a larger freewheel.

BUT, before you cut the red wire..... :)
check the frame & fork for damage.  The photos aren't the best but it looks like it could have been in a front end crash.  In that case, forget rebuilding it.

What to look for:
Any ripples under the top tube or downtube right behind the head tube. (another giveaway is cracked paint right behind the head tube lugs but with a repaint, that may not be present)
Put a straight edge on the top tube at the front, it should sit flat.  The top tube was dead straight when it left the showroom.
The centerline of the steering tube (and head tube) should be in line with the center line of the upper part of the fork (before the fork curves forward) when viewed from the side.
Sight with your eyes, from the front of the bike. The side of the head tube should be exactly parallel with the side(s) of the seat tube.
Take some direct side shots (outdoors with good light) with the front wheel straight and post those here.  Stand back a ways and use a zoom if you have a regular digital camera.  The farther back, the less lens distortion.

Rick

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Tonecaster

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'll give it a look and take some better pictures.

Russ

Offline Tonecaster

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »
This has a bent fork for sure.

[/QUOTE]

Offline Tonecaster

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »
I spoke to my brother and he said, "That would have been when Sam went over the handle bars at Michigan State and broke his cheek bone. Guess the bike got broke too." Fortunately my nephew Sam is doing well 10 years after the fall. :)

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
You should be able to find another Le Tour frame pretty easily.

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »
Yep, that fork it toast.  Hard to tell about the frame in the photo. A straight edge on the top tube would be the best test.  Slide those cable cips out of the way...

I just noticed something else about the bike. The cable stops are gone and the cables are (kinda) held in place with those black plastic cable clips found on low end department store bikes.  I wonder if someone cut off the old stops when it got repainted.

FYI: here is an example of a frame that got twisted. The head tube and seat tubes should be parallel. This is no camera trick.  Oh yeah, the kickstand was the first clue, bent beyond the far chain stay.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline Tonecaster

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:01:58 PM »
Yep. I think I'll save the parts. :)

Offline 4130Steel

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 10:10:36 PM »
Before you give up on that Schwinn frame, watch this...

I have an '83 Voyageur which I bought for it's parts... bent fork and slight damage to the lug area of the frame head. I was all set to scrap the frame when I happened upon the above YouTube video. I figured, "What the Hell, I'll give it a try." Went down to my LBS and asked if they had a frame straightening tool. After rummaging around a bit in some shelves, the owner came up with the tool. He hadn't used it in years and I said lets do it! I explained if he broke the frame in the process, no problem. I mean, what did I have to lose? Anyway... the same thing happened to my frame that happens to the frame in the above video. Watch it. It's slicker than snot what happens.
When someone asks how many bikes I have, I now say, "Oh, over thirty" and leave it at that.

Offline Tonecaster

• Training Wheel
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
Very nice. Thanks!