Author Topic: Raleigh Technium MTB, Goodwill auction, Grandville, MI  (Read 1173 times)

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
Raleigh Technium MTB, Goodwill auction, Grandville, MI
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Raleigh-Technium-Bicycle-37988722.html

I have a soft spot for these, because I think their ride quality is quite nice for what was originally a low to midrange bike. 

Made in Kent, WA (south of Seattle), between '86 and '93.  Raleigh USA needed Boeing's help in bonding dissimilar metals, which is how they wound up there.  Alcoa 6061-T8, also US manufacture. 

The most common configuration is aluminum frame tubes bonded to cromoly lugs, but they did all kinds of strange combos, including Reynolds 753!  And yes, I can hear the question already - do these come apart because they're bonded?  I have never seen one come apart, so I'd feel comfortable riding one.

I see some original Deore including thumbshifters, so there is some goodness in just the parts as well.

Two bids so far, high bid $14.99 as of now, and ends tomorrow.  Someone could get a deal.

Edit:  Rumor has it that Tim Isaac did some of the design work for the Technium series.  Schwinn history buffs will recognize him as the force behind the Match Paramounts.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Raleigh Technium MTB, Goodwill auction, Grandville, MI
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »
There's been a run on the Technium roadbikes lately on the Philly CL. Looks like that bonding is pretty resilient.

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:56:14 AM »
If anyone's curious, final sale price was $21.00.  Somebody got a deal.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »
Heck, that rear Deore derailleur is worth that much. Pretty good deal.

Offline super_rick

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
I really like the Technium series.  I found this '91 Technium Heat last fall for $25.  Turned out great!

Motorcycles, Bikes & Guitars!!!