Author Topic: April 29th, 2017: Arlington Heights (Chicago) swap  (Read 948 times)

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
April 29th, 2017: Arlington Heights (Chicago) swap
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:15:17 PM »
http://cyclearlington.com/swapmeet.php

This swap is unique.  I've never been to another like it.

It's a one-day consignment swap.  No fee to put bikes or parts in.  Pre-registration of your bikes and parts will save a lot of time waiting in line.

You drop your bikes/parts off between 8 and 9:15 am.  If your bike or parts sell, you get cash minus a 15% consignment fee.  If it doesn't sell, you just get your bike or parts back.

In years past, I got some incredible deals.  Chrome Schwinn Voyageurs and SLT's for $50 or less.  But you have to get there earlier than 10 am (when it opens) to get in line, as those deals go fast.

It used to be a two-day swap and 10% consignment fee; now it's a one-day swap and 15% fee.  But it's worth it.

Last year, it rained all day, and all my bikes were soaked that didn't sell.  But I sold a few anyway.

Watch out for the parking lot/sidewalk lizards who try to intercept you before you enter the swap grounds and lowball you.

Also, wouldn't hurt to bring an allen wrench and check for stuck seatposts, stems and the like.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: April 29th, 2017: Arlington Heights (Chicago) swap
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »
Interesting... If they're selling on consignment, are you able to haggle since the owner is (presumably] not present?

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Yep, doesn't exactly encourage haggling, does it?  That's what makes this swap so different than any other I've attended.

You set your price when you hand in your bike at the beginning of the swap.  You can lower it later on, either from a direct request to lower the price or in an effort to not have to take it home.

Some sellers do stick around to answer questions and help sell their bikes.  Last year, I left in the morning after dropping off my bikes and came back a couple hours before close to help sell them.  I did lower prices on a couple after working with two parties who were eager to purchase.

Awhile ago, the seller's name and phone # were listed on a tag attached to each swap bike, and you could call the seller and ask if they would lower the price.  If the seller agreed, the seller was put on the phone with swap staff so the price change could be made and the sale completed.  Now, the only info listed on each bike sticker is the price, bike name and tracking number - no personal info is entered on these tags.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:25 PM »
I'm still debating whether to make the drive, because I'm always looking for parts and accessories, but not entire bikes. It doesn't sound like this event would have random bins of parts to rummage through, given how the buying process works. How much non-bike content is there; do you recall? New Old Stock accessories, that kind of thing?

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »
As far as parts, since everything has to be pre-priced, there aren't any parts bins to look through.  Everything is tagged and out on a table or tucked underneath in some cases.  I've seen complete component groups, but few and far between.
 Mostly just usable stuff:  components, wheels, saddles, accessories, some clothing, racks, and the like.

Parts are mostly from the last 30 years.  I don't ever remember seeing anything classic in the parts area.  Since it's sponsored by a riding club, more in that direction.

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »
I know this swap coverage is going to be overshadowed by Ann Arbor this weekend, but for anyone who wants to know what happened at the Arlington Heights swap, keep reading.

I knew ahead of time that it was going to be cold (40s) and windy with rain after noon.  Sure enough, that's exactly what happened.  Attendance took a nose dive after noon with very few sales until close at 2pm.

New this year, all bikes must have been preregistered; previous swaps had allowed onsite registration.  I had forgotten to register one of mine and it was not allowed into the swap. 

Were there bargains?  You betcha.  To the best of my knowledge, this World Voyageur in Kool Lemon ($250) never sold, and it looked pretty original to my fairly untrained eye.  Neither did the Schwinn Montague, although not as good of a buy at $195.  I saw someone snag a Park heavy-duty repair stand, the one with the square metal base, for $80.

I would up selling one bike out of seven registered and buying one, a nice Specialized Allez, alu w/carbon fork & STI, for $175.