Author Topic: The Raleigh Story: BBC documentary  (Read 337 times)

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
The Raleigh Story: BBC documentary
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »

Just came out a couple days ago.  If you've got a free hour, worth watching.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
Re: The Raleigh Story: BBC documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »
I could only watch about 10 minutes right now but it looks real interesting. I currently own five British made Raleigh bikes and one Taiwan built mountain style bike. "Raleigh bikes had designs second to none"  ;D

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
 8)Thanks for sharing!  8)

Even putting up with the intermittent audio track,which is only the first few minutes (it gets better), it's a fascinating documentary of Raleigh's century-and-a-half history in England.  A very entertaining and informative hour's watching! 

I particularly enjoyed the part about the introduction of the Chopper! 8)

According to this documentary, the Chopper was originally introduced in 1970.  So mine couldn't be a '69 model, as I'd been told!  :o    It also confirmed my belief that Raleigh had produced the Chopper as a direct response to Schwinn's StingRay,which was then being marketed in the UK as the Mustang.  That bike flopped in England, while the Chopper couldn't really compete with the StingRay in the US.

This video references a film, How A Bicycle Is Made, produced in 1945. Made to promote cycling, it celebrates Raleigh's post-war return to bicycle production after six long years, working three shifts continuously, making munitions and parts for the war effort.. 
(It's just under 25 minutes long).

Geezer

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:55:01 PM »
You're welcome, G.  I didn't notice any audio issues, and I watched all 59 min.  I just rewatched the first few minutes with the same result.  Maybe an ISP issue on your end?

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »
You're welcome, G.  I didn't notice any audio issues, and I watched all 59 min.  I just rewatched the first few minutes with the same result.  Maybe an ISP issue on your end?

Well, I suppose there could be an ISP issue on my end (if only I knew what that means). ??? 
This post was copied by my tech-savvy daughter.  She liberated it from the British 3 Speeds section, where it was posted yesterday.  It refers to the link in the first post there.  That link puts up a copy of this same video, and that is where the intermittent audio is.  The audio in this video posted here came out clean.   8)   
Geezer

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
I'm sorry to both you and rickpaulos - didn't realize this was a duplicate post.  Mods, feel free to delete this one.

ISP = internet service provider

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »
I'm sorry to both you and rickpaulos - didn't realize this was a duplicate post.  Mods, feel free to delete this one.

ISP = internet service provider

You needn't apologise, at least as far as I'm concerned.  ;)
The video will probably get better exposure here under Cycling News than under British 3 Speeds.
I say, Leave them both up and hope that the video doesn't get yanked by YouTube over some silly copyright claim by BBC.

(And it's handy knowing that ISP is an acronym, not a word).  ;D

I just watched it again, and I enjoyed it every bit as much as when I watched it the first time.   ;)

Merci Beaucoup, monsieur!  8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:24:14 AM by Geezer »
Geezer

Offline 4130Steel

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:08:41 AM »
Just watched this video on youtube... (Video above isn't working at present.) Very enjoyable. I forwarded the youtube link to a friend and bike shop owner here in Phoenix area who has a couple of old Raleighs.
1962 Typhoon
1969 Racer
1973 World-Voyageur
1974 Le Tour (Red)
1974 Le Tour (Blue)
1980 Cruiser 5
1983 Voyageur
1985 Le Tour Luxe
1986 Traveler
1987 Sierra
1989 High Sierra
1989 564
1991 Paramount Series 70
2000 Moab
"Faux" World-Voyageur (cobbled from Schwinn parts)