Author Topic: What is your longest tour on a Schwinn bike?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Tim S

• Junior Pro
What is your longest tour on a Schwinn bike?
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
What Schwinn model did you use on your tour? How did the bike hold up? How did you hold up? From where to where did you go and what year did you take your tour?  What would you do differently? Have any pics to share? If you were going to pick a Schwinn from the 70s or early 80s to ride on a long tour which one would it be and why? Tim

Offline Charlie

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: What is your longest tour on a Schwinn bike?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
1979 P-13, Bike held up fine, only 16 flats, wore out rear tire due to wrong choice. San Diego, CA to St Augustine, FL. 2760 miles. Sept 1994. Seems like yesterday.
1886 50" VICTOR, 1888 52" Expert Columbia,
1886 51" American Star
1892 54" expert Columbia,
1895 Model 43 Columbia Tandem,
1968 Schwinn Mini Twinn
1968 Schwinn Run-A-Bout Green & Brown
1974 Schwinn P-15 Paramount
1979 Schwinn P-13 Paramount
1988 Schwinn P-13 Paramount Frame Set
Schwinn Dealer 1966 - ?

Offline bartcycle

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
I did 108 miles on my 1981 Schwinn Superior in one day.  I also did 340 miles in 6 days on the same bike with  a group. 

Offline Nick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:49:29 AM »
I came here originally from the building side of the hobby
but after several years of being exposed to the serious
riders that inhabit the board I was inspired to start riding
more.

I don't have a "modern" bicycle. I ride my American made
Le Tour my Paramount and my Circuit. I am probably up
to 600 to 700 miles by now with the longest ride being
my 64 mile ride on the Circuit. 

I would say that is a fairly small sample but I have had
zero problems so far that could be blamed on Schwinn.

We have a weekly vintage ride in Memphis but I am
fortunate enough to have a vintage ride every time
I go riding.  8)

Offline dale88chevyss

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
I did two 60 some mile rides on different days with different locations.  The first was from my parents house, through the lakes of the Irish Hills (MI) to Michigan International Speedway and back.  This was in March.  The second was from my house in Livonia MI to Detroit Metro Airport and back via the I275 pathway. This time was in the late spring.  Both times were on my 74 Sprint.  Bike held up great. I learned about dehydration on the second ride. 
Daniel G.

All riders; no wall hangers.

Our fleet:
'58 26" Spitfire
'63 Hollywood
'65 De luxe Typhoon
'66 Typhoon
'57 20" Spitfire
'74 Sports Tourer <----FINALLY got one!
'74 Sprint
'67 Breeze

Offline 4130Steel

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 05:34:31 PM »
Four of us did an over-nighter to Tucson, AZ from Mesa, AZ last November 27 & 28, (2016) 202 miles round trip. I rode my '85 Le Tour Luxe while the three others rode a Surly Long Haul Trucker, Raleigh "Gravel Grinder" and Surly, converted to a one speed.
The "luxe" was flawless and rode like a champ (Luxe is on the left.)
We're pictured at the Tom Mix Monument which is just south of Florence, AZ. Tom Mix, for those who don't know who Tom Mix was... He was a very popular silent film "Cowboy" who was killed near this spot in 1940. Recent rains had washed out a bridge and over he went.

When someone asks how many bikes I have, I now say, "Oh, over thirty" and leave it at that.

Offline Eric94TA

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
4130Steel you have an awesome collection, I'm envious!
70 Campus Green Suburban 5-speed "Green Hornet"
72 Kool Lemon Collegiate "Old Yeller"
74 Opaque Blue Suburban ST 5-speed "Baloo"
77 Sunset Orange Runabout "Orange Crush"
74 Sunset Orange Collegiate ST (project)
77 Sunset Orange Runabouts ST, (project)
78 Flamboyant Red Varsity (project)
78 Sky Blue Breeze (project)

Offline dale88chevyss

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:56:31 PM »
Four of us did an over-nighter to Tucson, AZ from Mesa, AZ last November 27 & 28, (2016) 202 miles round trip. I rode my '85 Le Tour Luxe while the three others rode a Surly Long Haul Trucker, Raleigh "Gravel Grinder" and Surly, converted to a one speed.
The "luxe" was flawless and rode like a champ (Luxe is on the left.)
We're pictured at the Tom Mix Monument which is just south of Florence, AZ. Tom Mix, for those who don't know who Tom Mix was... He was a very popular silent film "Cowboy" who was killed near this spot in 1940. Recent rains had washed out a bridge and over he went.

Did you do like 100 miles a day? 
Daniel G.

Our fleet:
'58 26" Spitfire
'63 Hollywood
'65 De luxe Typhoon
'66 Typhoon
'57 20" Spitfire
'74 Sprint
'67 Breeze

Offline 4130Steel

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
107 miles out, 95 coming back. Wasn't bad at all. We took our time, paced ourselves staying in a pace line and rotated leaders. It's an ever-so-slight elevation gain of 1000 feet or so to Tucson, however coming back we really flew. That was fun.
When someone asks how many bikes I have, I now say, "Oh, over thirty" and leave it at that.

Offline Grinder

• Training Wheel
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
Three century rides on my 1971 Varsity.
"Courage before talent."

Offline punkinevil

• Training Wheel
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
Glad to see people aren't afraid to take their trusty Schwinns out.

My longest single day was probably about 125 miles solo on my 1977 Superior. It was my first intercity ride and involved some meandering which is why NYC to Philly worked out to be that far.

I've done centuries on my 1970 P-13. Half centuries on my 1978 Continental.

As for multi-day tours, I do the Northeast AIDS Ride from Boston to NYC (shameless plug for donations...see details in Charity Rides posting) and that is 3 days totaling about 275 miles on the Superior. She put those 20-somethings on their carbon fiber bikes to shame during that ride.

I am hoping to do NYC to Rehoboth (maybe even to Norfolk VA) on the Sports Tourer this spring if I can make the time. I haven't had the ST that long so I have only done about 40 miles a stretch on her.

These were all in the past few years. I love the Superior for touring and am guessing the ST will be about the same, maybe more comfy since she is taller. As much as the Paramount is an absolute joy to ride, I wouldn't want to put racks on her. I would also stress about something happening to her.

I did pretty well, as did the bikes, but lessons were learned: Good bikeshorts are a must. It turns out you can paralyze your perineum after 125 miles if you aren't padded right. I lost all feeling in my junk for about a week and a half. Good tires are important..goes without saying. I have gatorskins and had NO FLATS! EVER! Some people complain about the rolling resistance, buy I would rather avoid a flat in the middle of nowhere, especially if I am alone. I also learned not to trust the Garmin over my own instincts. It is worth double checking a map as you go if things don't seem right. That is why the NYC-Philly ride was so far. Also, bring a backup battery for your phone just in case. I am considering a dynamo hub to take care of that power issue.

1978 Flamboyant Red Continental II
1977 Flamingo Superior
1977 Violet LeTour II
1973 Mystery Color Sports Tourer
1970 Chrome Paramount P-13

Offline dale88chevyss

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
Gatorskin tires and a brooks saddle.........

Trusty old Schwinn?  That's all I ride.
Daniel G.

Our fleet:
'58 26" Spitfire
'63 Hollywood
'65 De luxe Typhoon
'66 Typhoon
'57 20" Spitfire
'74 Sprint
'67 Breeze

Offline Tourer1

• Training Wheel
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
The Michigander,about 6 years ago.Not real long, 2 days @ about 50 miles per day. Long enough for a novice on an old Conti.

Offline johnboy

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
I did about 35 miles on the Great Allegheny Passage on day which in itself is nothing to brag about.  But I did it on a World Sport with a giant Wald steel basket carrying 18 pounds of dog on the front wheel!

Our pet Lucky loved to ride and we enjoyed having him with us but having all that weight (live cargo that tended to move while I rode) on 27 x 1 1/4" tires demanded all your attention all the time, especially on an unpaved trail with which I was not familiar.

At the halfway point we were exiting the trail to get something to eat and I just missed a very deep rut that ran almost entirely across the path. Had I not seen it in time, the bike, dog, and me would have undoubtedly had some serious injuries!

Offline redeyedtreefr0g

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
I love reading these!
"Tie my handlebars to the stars so I stay on track" Owl City
"If ya want to win your Lucy, you better have a trusty bike and a sausage plump and juicy" Gaelic Storm
Find Me on Facebook