Author Topic: Restoring mid-50's Phantom. Need some "coaching"  (Read 2045 times)

Offline rjackson

• Training Wheel
Restoring mid-50's Phantom. Need some "coaching"
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
Hi folks!

Per my post over on the intro forum, I'm working on a mid-50's green Phantom.  This will most likely be a flip bike, so looking to do a "sweet spot" restoration, not a full restore to mint/showpiece condition.  Given that, shotgun mode, I have several questions for all the experts here.

1. Date of Birth?  Serial number is S41562.  SchwinnCruisers.com says that serial number was used twice, and was either made 7/22/1955 thru 7/28/1955, OR 12/02/1957.   Any way to get a definitive answer?

2. Saddle: (Photo) Recover or replace?  Structurally, saddle is excellent and underparts should clean up very nicely.  I have a connection to a guy that does excellent leather and blacksmith work - a true craftsman.  Obviously, a full leather replacement loses authenticity and won't have the Schwinn logo embossed.  Another concern is that the leather will look too new and out of place on the bike.  OTOH, I'm not inclined to spend $300 plus on an original, assuming one could be found.  Recommendations?

3. Taillight.  (Photo) What kind of tail light or reflector went in the back of the rack?  There are no mounting holes or other clear evidence that anything was ever installed there.

4. Paint.  I'm not going to repaint, with the possible exception of the horn tank.  It had some latex paint drops on it, and at some point, a previous owner had used masking tape to hold the tank together, which basically married itself to the paint.  I overdid things a bit trying to get the tape and paint off.  So I'm not going any further trying to clean the tank.  Otherwise, is there something I should use on rust spots elsewhere on the bike?

5. Tires.  It came to me with a Typhoon Cord on rear; US Royal Chain on the front.  I'm looking at these repros for replacements.  Anything better out there?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-26x2-125-Schwinn-Phantom-Typhoon-Cord-Bicycle-WHITE-WALL-Tires-Tubes-/332084365586?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

6. Wheels.  (Photo) There's some rust-colored grunge on the wheels.  It comes off with lots and lots - and more lots - of steel wool and elbow grease.  I spent 2+ hours on the front wheel last night, and I'm not all that happy with the results.  I could take the wheel apart to make the grunge removal easier, but that's a tedious, time-consuming option, too.  Someone out there PLEASE tell me there's an easier way that gets better results.  Polishing compound? 

7. I need a Bolt.  (Photo) Anyone have an "AS" carriage bolt rolling around on their bench?  The one I need goes on top of the springer fork bracket.  Somewhere along the way, my bike picked up a Phillips head bolt on the right side as a replacement for the original.

All help much appreciated!

Offline Charlie

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: Restoring mid-50's Phantom. Need some "coaching"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
Serial numbers reflect when the frame was made, NOT when the bike was built.
1886 50" VICTOR, 1888 52" Expert Columbia,
1886 51" American Star
1892 54" expert Columbia,
1895 Model 43 Columbia Tandem,
1968 Schwinn Mini Twinn
1968 Schwinn Run-A-Bout Green & Brown
1974 Schwinn P-15 Paramount
1979 Schwinn P-13 Paramount
1988 Schwinn P-13 Paramount Frame Set
Schwinn Dealer 1966 - ?

Offline island schwinn

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:02:40 PM »
Has the 55 and earlier style springer.although the locking fork was available after that.front fender is wrong.
Since you plan on flipping it,probably best to service the bearings and try that way.to invest in tires and a seat and correct fender can set you back a bit.

Offline dale88chevyss

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
Call up Memory Lane Classics in Grand Rapids Ohio....they have stuff like that for your bike.
Daniel G.

All riders; no wall hangers.

Our fleet:
'58 26" Spitfire
'63 Hollywood
'65 De luxe Typhoon
'66 Typhoon
'57 20" Spitfire
'74 Sports Tourer <----FINALLY got one!
'74 Sprint
'67 Breeze

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Just to give you a reference this is one of our fellow member's bike.

Offline 2jakes

• Training Wheel
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
If you intend to flip, I would go with what  island Schwinn suggested.
As you already know, replacing a part with a better one will stand out and
not match the rest of the bike.
The only way to avoid this would be to address the whole bike,
but that can be pricey.

The illustration of a green phantom that Jennifer posted is excellent.

My '55 Red Phantom is Iridescent red.

Check around on the Schwinn forum from previous threads to get a better idea
on this bike.
Good Luck.

Offline PhantomRick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »
If the bike is just for a flip I personally wouldn't spend a penny on it. I would take off the front fender and then just go to work on the paint and chrome. It's amazing how these bikes come to life with some intense elbow effort. To buy the correct fender, headlight and have the seat redone wouldn't IMO be recouped. Now with all that said what would you take for it as is ?    PM me if you are interested in flipping as it is.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:10:58 PM »
If the bike is just for a flip I personally wouldn't spend a penny on it. I would take off the front fender and then just go to work on the paint and chrome. It's amazing how these bikes come to life with some intense elbow effort.

I agree (although I would suggest leaving the front fender with the bike, wrong as it is, unless or until a correct one comes along. People expect to see something on there.) Some really thorough cleaning will do wonders for its appearance (especially once you have that horrendous sticker residue or whatever it is removed from the left side tank), and it will look like what most people expect a really old bike to look like: some visible wear and tear, but clean all over, and roadworthy. You should be able to reach that point with a minimum of expense, and have a really good result to show for it.