Author Topic: This one stings a bit.  (Read 807 times)

Offline 4130Steel

• Training Wheel
This one stings a bit.
« on: September 03, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »
While rummaging through boxes of old pictures today, trying to locate a pic of a 69-70 Collegiate Sport I once owned, I was quite literally taken aback by these somewhat blurry Poloroids of what I thought at first to be a Continental... But upon closer examination, to my utter horror, it turned out to be a Sports Tourer! Now I have no recollection of buying it, taking it apart, or selling it. Only thing I can take away from these photos is that it was 1984 and old Schwinn ten speeds weren't exactly a hot item. Friction shift levers were "out" while index shifting was the "in" thing.

Well, regardless... My heart sank, and is still down there somewhere's. Here are the pictures. This is what lost opportunity looks like.
1962 Typhoon
1969 Racer
1973 World-Voyageur
1974 Le Tour (Red)
1974 Le Tour (Blue)
1975 Collegiate
1980 Cruiser 5
1983 Voyageur
1985 Le Tour Luxe
1986 Traveler
1987 Sierra
1989 High Sierra
1989 564
1991 Paramount Series 70
2000 Moab
"Faux" World-Voyageur (cobbled from Schwinn parts)

Offline dale88chevyss

• King of the Mountain
Re: This one stings a bit.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »
You can't let it bug you too much......I'm fortunate that my dad got us kids junk throwaway bikes as kids so I don't have any regrets tearing up anything good.  Although we all learned to ride on a 20" Campus Green Typhoon that he got rid of about 10 years ago cuz he said it was worn out and we had outgrew it.  I wish I could have kept it for sentimental value. 
Daniel G.

All riders; no wall hangers.

Our fleet:
'58 26" Spitfire
'63 Hollywood
'65 De luxe Typhoon
'67 Typhoon (late December 66 serial #)
'57 20" Spitfire
'74 Sports Tourer <----FINALLY got one!
'74 Sprint
'67 Breeze

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:32:35 AM »
When we were little a "rich" friend gave my dad a couple of Schwinns his family was done with.  My brother and I were still riding our "twenty-four inchers", so these adult ltwts would've been for future use.  They were traded away before we ever used them, but I distinctly remember them both having Bendix 2-speed shift levers...darn!
Schwinnly,
Dopey
p.s. speaking of Polaroids -- the best photo I ever took of my Comp Sting project was a Polaroid, and it's a pretty beat up print now.

Offline 4130Steel

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Classic photo, Dopey.
Since posting this thread in September, my memory has cleared a bit. The Sports Tourer, as I recall, was almost mint. However, I do remember thinking at the time it was just a slightly better form of Continental. I was into Cruisers at the time and not really paying attention to the subtleties of frame construction of that era. My Bad!
1962 Typhoon
1969 Racer
1973 World-Voyageur
1974 Le Tour (Red)
1974 Le Tour (Blue)
1975 Collegiate
1980 Cruiser 5
1983 Voyageur
1985 Le Tour Luxe
1986 Traveler
1987 Sierra
1989 High Sierra
1989 564
1991 Paramount Series 70
2000 Moab
"Faux" World-Voyageur (cobbled from Schwinn parts)

Offline Eric94TA

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
It's true, by the late 70's early 80's Schwinn bikes were thought to be dinosaurs. Many were being made overseas so why not just buy the Takara that was the same bike for less money? I had never even seen a Sports Tourer at that age but I know I would have not been happy with stem shifters in that era.

I agree that's a bit heartbreaking- that ST looks very minty, the crank set looks beautifully polished! Everyone has vehicles and bikes and guns and whatever in their past that they wish they would have kept. I know I have a list....
70 Campus Green Suburban 5-speed "Green Hornet"
72 Kool Lemon Collegiate "Old Yeller"
74 Opaque Blue Suburban ST 5-speed "Baloo"
77 Sunset Orange Runabout "Orange Crush"
74 Sunset Orange Collegiate ST (project)
77 Sunset Orange Runabouts ST, (project)
78 Flamboyant Red Varsity (project)
78 Sky Blue Breeze (project)

Offline Dopey

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
... The Sports Tourer, as I recall, was almost mint. However, I do remember thinking at the time it was just a slightly better form of Continental...
When I began working at Bryan's Bicycle Shop in '76, there were two 26" frame Lime Green ST that were still sitting in the rack.  And when it came to choosing between the Japanese Super 12.2 or the Chicago-made Superior (both '76-'78, usually the same price), I was all in favor of the SLT (after all, it had those nice, Dia-Compe G sidepulls! ;).  I did not come to appreciate the artistry inherent in a fillet-brazed, hand-filed Chromoly frame until many years later.  I am chagrined at my foolishness... :-[
Schwinnly,
Dopey

Offline chrisbr66

• Training Wheel
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
I threw away an old Varsity that had belonged to my brother when I was "cleaning house" one day.  The bike wasn't worth much but it sure had a great deal of sentimental value.  I wish I had it now. just think what a great birthday present would be to give him his own restored bike from childhood.  Ahh regrets...

Offline Nick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »
I saw a faded 70 model at one of the Memphis shops that I
so wished that I had gotten.   ::)