Author Topic: Manta Ray tires  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Camsdad66

• Training Wheel
Manta Ray tires
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:08 PM »
Hi all!
Need some opinions on what tires are best to ride on (not for originality) on a 5-spd Manta Ray, and if possible, some sources to buy from.  I scored one off CL and gonna take it down for some cleaning & refurbishment. Chrome & Kool Orange paint are pretty nice. Will try to post some pics of progress. I love seeing works in progress, so will be cool to be the one posting for a change.
Thanks! ;)

Offline Camsdad66

• Training Wheel
Re: Manta Ray tires
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
This is some of what I'm starting with.  Took it all down to the frame last night.

Offline milosmith

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 06:49:24 PM »
That's a very nice frame.  Hopefully you have the front fender, seat, and chain guard.  Those are hard to find.  The price on the seats will shock you - it can be over $300 for a nice Manta seat.

The original Schwinn branded 24" x 1-3/8" S-5 Slik and front straight ribbed tire are tough to find, and when you do, they are pricey.   Sometimes you can buy a 3 wheeler Town and Country, and harvest the tires off of that bike. 

But if you are on a budget, and want a good but cheap replacement, try the Kenda 24" x 1-3/8" replacements.  They are reasonably priced and look and ride just fine.  Likely your local bike shop carries Kenda brand tires and you can special order them.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k62-s-5-schwinn-24-inch-tire-24x13-8x11-4-37-547

Bob

Offline Camsdad66

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »
Thanks for the info, Bob! The pictures make her look a little better than she is, she's kind of a "10-footer",  (looks good from 10 feet!). It has a fair amount of chips & scratches, but hey, it's 45 years old! And, sadly, no original seat or guard. That's life. But I did get it for  decent price. I'll look into those Kenda tires. Thanks again.

Offline Camsdad66

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »
Will need a new kickstand for this Manta. Can someone please tell me correct part number, length, etc? If someone has one for sale, please let me know.
Thanks.

Offline mcmfw2

• Junior Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
I have an NOS Manta kickstand in the bag..and possibly a decent used one.. .  Lmk thanks Mark. Mwallace@comcast.net

Offline REDAIR13

• Training Wheel
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »
i have a tire if you need one, it is a slick tire. pm me if you want it

Offline Camsdad66

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:51:09 PM »
Thanks goes out to Mark for a kickstand & nice S-5 rim to replace the dinged up one that came with the bike.
Now looking for a recoverable Manta seat pan or trashed seat. Also posted in classifieds, but thought I would throw it out here too. If someone has one for sale, give me a holler, please.
Thanks!