Author Topic: Rans Tailwind recumbent  (Read 2353 times)

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
Rans Tailwind recumbent
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:07:04 AM »
A few days ago, I was at a rummage where two recumbents were being sold, for $300 and $525.  Oddly enough, same model, with the $300 one in better shape.

So I pushed the saddle all the way forward and took it for a spin.  Not bad.  Certainly lighter than most I've ridden.

Had a little less than $250 in my wallet at the time.  Offered it up but seller was adamant about getting $300.  Went home, talked it over with the missus, and came back with $300 cash.  The $525 had a computer but the $300 didn't.  Asked the seller if he still had the computer for it, as it was wired for one.  He said he didn't, but in a nice gesture, he took the head unit off the $525 one and gave it to me - same computer as was originally in the $300 one.

Now this is not my first visit to the recumbent rodeo.  I've owned a few - mostly the BikeE models (now defunct, as is Rans) - but this one I took a liking to more than those.

Limited myself to three and four mile rides several times a day to get acclimated.  Different set of muscles, no need to overdo.  Today I took it out for a 16 mi. spin in gusty, cool weather.

A few things to note:  Turning is easier than I thought it would be, just have to get used to turning the bars more than on an upright bike.  I don't think I'll be putting clipless pedals or toe straps on it, really no need to, and I don't need biking shorts for it either, regular shorts or pants are fine.  Lower riding position = lower center of gravity, which is nice, but I wear bright clothing so as not to be invisible to motorists.  Stem has some flex built-in, which smooths the bumps better than I thought it would.

Is this my distant future?  I see a lot of folks migrating to recumbents in their golden years.  I'm 56, good health with no signs of arthritis in my hips or knees, probably from biking a few thousand miles every year and keeping strong leg musculature.  But if I had to give up my "wedgie" bikes at some point, this wouldn't be so bad.

Offline Bikes42

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Rans Tailwind recumbent
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
That looks pretty nice. I have always been curious as to whether one's neck gets sore without having a headrest when seated in that position. Is that the case? I have never tried one personally, so perhaps that perception is due to my ignorance.

On a tandem rally that my wife and I attended a couple of years ago, there was a couple riding a recumbent tandem. They were not fast, but they were able to do all the hills with no trouble. (We were in the Adirondacks in NY.)

One of these days I will have to get up the nerve to try one for myself!

Tad
1959 Radiant Green Tiger, 1961 Radiant Blue Varsity, 1966 Violet Super Sport, 1967 Sky Blue Paramount P13, 1971 Burgundy Super Sport, 1972 Flamboyant Red Paramount Tandem, 1972 Opaque Green Super Sport, 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer, 1973 Opaque Blue Continental, 1973 Opaque Blue Super Sport, 1986 Scarlet/Black Super Sport, 1987 Ice Pink Prelude, 1989 RWB Prelude, 1991/92 Serotta Colorado LT, 1993 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 2008 Opaque Blue Madison, 2017 Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
I don't get neck strain from not having a headrest, Tad.  The seating position is very comfortable in one respect - having the mesh backrest gives you something to push against with each pedal stroke.  Now you have to keep your feet and legs horizontal for pedaling, so that's an issue if you're not used to it, a little more strain on the quads.

One more thing I should mention.  On this particular 'bent and many others I've ridden, the steering can be twitchy.  I have to keep my upper body relaxed so that I'm not constantly over-correcting my course and weaving all over the place.  Couple days ago, I went for two rides on the recumbent during the day and then took out my Jamis cargo bike with brifters and drop bars toward evening.  The difference between the two was startling.  No more overcorrecting and concentrating on relaxing my upper body; it comes naturally with a "wedgie" bike, whereas it's more an acquired skill with the 'bent.

Offline Grogger

• Junior Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »
I rode a three-wheeled recumbent once through the narrow, car-lined streets of Northeast Minneapolis. It was comfortable, and I could probably get used to the modified riding position. However, I was worried I wouldn't be seen by drivers as I approached intersections. I'm not sure I would enjoy having one for urban rides.

Ron
Ron G. | Head Geek | The BicycleGeek™ Collection | A few favorites: 1938 Ladies' BA37, '51 Hornet, '51 Panther, '52 Red Phantom, '53 Ladies' Panther, '56 Tiger, '57 Corvette, '58 Black Phantom, '61 Speedster, '62 Fiesta, '62 Fleet, '62 Typhoon, '66 Varsity Tourist, '68 Ram's Horn Fastback, '68 Typhoon, '72 Orange Krate, '73 Sting-Ray 5-Speed, '73 Paramount P10-9, '74 Paramount P13-9, '80 Typhoon Custom, '99 Paramount Steel

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »
After living with this puppy for a couple weeks, I'm not quite as enamored with it as I was initially.

It is more work than my wedgie bikes, and it's not ideal for hills or strong headwinds.

Keep in mind this recumbent is ~10 lb. heavier than my standard wedgie bikes.  That alone is sometimes the deciding factor as to whether or not I want to take it for a spin.  If I want to go farther with less effort, and less steering correction, I'll take one of my IF Crown Jewels out in a heartbeat over it.

Now there is one plus.  I don't have to change into bike shorts and clipless shoes with it.  So less fuss to get on the bike, but more fuss and effort once I'm there.

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
Update:  I finally sold the Rans tonite and gave it a new home.  It had just been taking up space and I wound up using a lot more of my "wedgie" bikes anyway.

In the end, it wasn't really my thing - at least not yet.  In the future, who knows.  But I also like the look and execution of Bachetta recumbents, for ex.

Offline eastonlionel

• Junior Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
Interesting experience.  I have a 2002 Burley Canto recumbent.  In the winter it is mounted in a CycleOps trainer for morning riding.  In the warmer months I take it out for a ride in rotation with my Schwinns.  My experience with this over the years is it is a fantastic ride on flat or downhill, but a bear to work on uphill terrain. On a diamond bike frame you can get up and use your weight to pedal the uphills.  On a recumbent, you are stuck pushing against the backrest, which is not as efficient.  But again, on flat trails, such as rails to trails lines, you can really get moving on one of these.
'56 American manual 2 speed, opal green; '59 Racer 3 speed, black; '61 Traveler woman's frame, radiant blue; '63 Traveler 3 speed, black; '63 Tiger 3 speed, radiant blue; '65 Traveler woman's frame, violet; '70 Apple Krate 5 speed; '71 Sting-Ray Fastback 1 speed, sky blue; '87 Cruiser Supreme