Author Topic: Lemon Peeler Original paint ?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Cletus107

• Training Wheel
Re: Lemon Peeler Original paint ?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »
More pics

Offline Cletus107

• Training Wheel
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
Close up

Offline Derek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 12:37:24 AM »
Pretty sure that is fresh paint and scratches. He also put the seatpost clamp back on wrong. Flip it, lower it, and flip the nut, but the nut and clamp will have damage now. Cheap fix though.
Had the same problem with an apple, I'll click a pic of what happens to seat post and the new clamp added.

Offline Cletus107

• Training Wheel
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 05:56:40 AM »
Thanks for looking at pics. I feel robbed! I paid 1,000 bucks. Does anyone think I got ripped off ? Thanks

Offline asennafan

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 07:11:16 AM »
Pretty positive it is repainted.  Also looks like your chainguard has been decaled, the lettering should be screen-painted, not a decal.  Also looks like a newer seat, maybe wrong grips (kinda hard to tell from the pic), I'm sure others can tell you more.  I wouldn't say you got robbed at a grand, but that's a lot for that bike.  If that's a real original yellow line slick those are hard to come by.
1967 Fastback
1969 Fastback
1970 Cotton Picker
1971 P-15 Paramount
1971 Grey Ghost
1972 Orange Krate
1972 Apple Krate
1973 Lemon Peeler
1973 Sunset Orange Krate

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
Pretty sure that is fresh paint and scratches.

I agree. I was confused in my earlier post; I thought I was looking at a closeup of Cletus' bike, not someone else's.

I also notice in Cletus' closeup of the seat post clamp that the paint seems to be cracking off in relatively thick pieces, like a powdercoat...?

Offline Cletus107

• Training Wheel
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 01:49:03 PM »
Thanks guys ,my first kratw and I got shafted lol how much do you think it's worth with everything that had been pointed out ?

Offline schwinnray

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
$1000 is not bad for a restored krate, you couldn't build it for that, so just ride it because we all have bikes here that we don't want to ride in fear of splitting an original tire or seat. enjoy it

Offline Derek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »
Didn't even think about looking from the computer. Tablet is not near as clear. Restored bikes actually seem to bring more. But original parts bring much more? Sort of get it, I hate getting a part that was improperly cleaned, over polished, or suppose to be original and is badly re chromed. I only buy nice original parts and they are always very expensive.
I am confident you could unload that easily on ebay if you were only interested in an original paint bike. It is a steal compared to the restored "Orange Fastback" that sold a few months ago for $900. My first turned out to be not even a Krate, and every part looked decent until further inspection and basically had to replace every part. Believe a collector put it together with decent looking but worthless parts from other projects. But been focused on Fastbacks the last couple years and it is still rough but a hair more affordable.

Offline mcmfw2

• Junior Pro
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »
Just my opinion but I have never seen original paint flake off like at the seat post clamp so I suspect its a repaint...

Mark