Author Topic: Breaking Down My Fair Lady  (Read 5891 times)

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
Breaking Down My Fair Lady
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
Pun intended - sorry.  I have most of the bike disassembled - please tell me there is a better way to get the brake out of the rear wheel than "wrenching" with one hand and holding on to the brake with the other - that was some work.

Having a very difficult time with the screw on the front fender - that goes into the fork.  Will not budge.  Help.

What size crescent wrench will I need to remove the fork from the frame?  I'll need to buy one.

I assume I will need a crescent wrench for the front sprocket as well.  What size?

In removing the front wheel from the fork - the axle broke.  Suggestions on getting a new axle.  Thanks.

I am looking forward to completing the disassembly and getting the pieces cleaned up.

Suggestions on cleaning up very? rusty chrome - thanks.

Finally - looks like the bike is from May 1969 EE41908

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
Re: Breaking Down My Fair Lady
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »
Everything you need to know about caliper brakes.

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/Repair/1969-70/Caliper/69RepairCalipBrake.htm

Information on the headset, handlebars etc... is contained in these pages

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/Repair/1969-70/Head/69RepairHeadIdx.htm

There are plenty of pages of technical information in the Schwinn Repair Manuals but I suggest getting a copy of Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual also.

http://www.amazon.com/Glenns-Complete-Bicycle-Manual-Maintenance/dp/0517500930

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:48:33 PM »
Thanks for the links.  I orderd a copy of Glenn's from Amazon this past weekend.  I'll be glad to have that arrive.

Offline CRASH

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
Chrome cleaning in 3 steps:

Ingredients:  Hot water; Aluminum Foil; Elbow Grease

1) Ball a piece of aluminum foil up.  Make it pretty rough, but tight.
2) Heat the piece and get it wet under the hot water.
3) Liberally apply the elbow grease and start scrubbing vigorously. 
4) Rotate the ball when it gets smooth.  Replace the ball when required.

The aluminum is strong enough to knock off rust, but not strong enough to hurt the chrome.  The water acts like a lube to protect the chrome.  The heat weakens the rust.  As you're scrubbing you'll notice black metal coming off.  That's the rust and the aluminum coming off. 

This process won't bring back chrome damaged by rust, but it will remove the rust and allow you to polish what's left. 

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »
Crash - thanks for the help.  After battling the front fender and pedals again tonight I needed a "win" - so I went after the rear fender with the tin foil.  WOW!  I really need help because this bike is ready for a redo.  I just can't spring that screw from under the front fender.  Also having trouble with the goose neck.  That won't budge.  Pedals - won't budge.  So close - and yet so far . . .

Anyone interested in some parts . . .

No - I won't give up!

Offline CRASH

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »
Liquid Wrench and lots of it.  Heat works too, but you have to be careful because you can ruin the part and the paint. 

Having a very difficult time with the screw on the front fender - that goes into the fork.  Will not budge.  Help.
A picture would help.  Mine has a brake in the front and the fender attaches that way.  I'm assuming you've got a single screw underneath?  Liquid wrench and careful pressure.  If all else fails, you can weld a bolt to the screw head and turn it like that.

What size crescent wrench will I need to remove the fork from the frame?  I'll need to buy one.
I have headset tools, but a #10 should fit your locking nut.  The rest of the headset will (should) come apart by hand.

I assume I will need a crescent wrench for the front sprocket as well.  What size?
For the bottom bracket locking nut you'll need a #12.  You'll also need a tool for the adjustment race. Both of those are threaded backwards (Righty-loosy, lefty-tighty).  The tool depends on the race.  For the locking race on the other side that holds the sprocket to the crank... well, I use channel locks because a #12 is too small.

In removing the front wheel from the fork - the axle broke.  Suggestions on getting a new axle.  Thanks.
I need to see a picture of this.  I can't imagine how you broke the solid axle removing the wheel.  It may not be the "axle" you are after.

Also having trouble with the goose neck.  That won't budge.
For the stem (gooseneck) loosen the bolt so it sticks up a bit, then smack it with a hammer.  It helps if you turn the bike over to get liquid wrench up in the head tube. 

Peddles - won't budge.
One is standard thread, and the other is backwards. IIRC the left pedal is backwards.  Either way, a 15mm wrench should get in there.  But first... liquid wrench on both sides, and let it soak in.

Post pics!

Offline CRASH

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »
This is my daughter's.  I'm almost done with it.  I'm going to finish the build now that I have the parts, and I'm just waiting on the speedometer which should be back next week after getting overhauled this weekend.  I can't wait to give it to her.  But i missed her birthday.   :-\

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=28832.0

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
That's great.  I was actually looking at those pics this past weekend.  I got the goose neck off!  And - my neighbor was putting the trash out this morning while I was working on it - he came by to see what I was doing and was a huge help - while I held the fork - he was able to twist the screw out of the fender!  Success!  Pedals - still working on em.  But exciting to make some progress.  I'll work on some pics.  Thanks again for the help.

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
Here are 4 pics of the mostly unassembled bike.

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
Played with the PIC size a bit.  Here are two more - the complete bike and a dealer sticker that is located on back fender.  My biggest challenge now is removing the other pedal.  What I've noticed is that someone really drove that thing in there.  The back end of the threaded post goes beyond the crank a 16th or an 8th of an inch.  As a result I can't fit the wrench between the pedal and the post.  Help.  Thanks.

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:20:52 PM »
I have a single goal in this exercise.  I wanted to brake a bike down completely - and put it back together.  I've never done that before.  Over the last few years we have acquired a girls Hollywood, a Typhoon, an awesome Collegiate - coaster that I loved riding and now a few of these "muscle" bikes.  In looking at posts my intended outcome is to clean this mess up as much as possible - probably clear coat the bike and hope that it runs well.  The seat is not a schwinn which is fine with me -
In looking at the pay it forward section of the site I may be willing to let some kid have it.  It'd be great for some kid in Mishawaka to have it.  We'll see.  I need to get that pedal off!

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
Sorry to ask, but ... you do know the pedals are threaded opposite of each other, right?

If so, keep soaking 'em.  A little heat might be needed.

Nice of you to think of paying it forward.

Congrats,

Bob

Offline can3031

• Training Wheel
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
Yes - I knew - and am figuring that out.  I did get the pedal off and the crank out!  Hurray!  I went to WalMart and they had 5/8 crescent wrench that is THIN - got it right in there and - after turning in the correct direction - it's off.  Thanks for the post Bob - I need all the help I can get.  The crank is soaking in some dawn to degrease.  I have few chrome bits soaking in the Evaporust.  I will be interested to see what tomorrow and day 4 brings.  Any tips on really brightening up a semi pitted frame?  There's way more paint on the frame than rust and I figure if I can make the original paint frame SHINE - it may distract from other parts of this beastly bike.  And the kickstand - I'd like to get that out.  I've watched a couple YouTube videos.  I loaded that up with solvent as well.  Any tips?   I am enjoying the process.  Thanks to all.

Offline CRASH

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 11:23:28 PM »
...My biggest challenge now is removing the other pedal.  What I've noticed is that someone really drove that thing in there.  The back end of the threaded post goes beyond the crank a 16th or an 8th of an inch.  As a result I can't fit the wrench between the pedal and the post.  Help.  Thanks.
If you can't get a regular 15mm wrench in there, I would take the frame to a bike shop and pay them a couple bucks to get it off.  The left pedal that you have stuck on is backwards thread, and it's also required to take off in order to get the bottom bracket apart. 

Offline CRASH

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »
Yes - I knew - and am figuring that out.  I did get the pedal off and the crank out!  Hurray!  I went to WalMart and they had 5/8 crescent wrench that is THIN - got it right in there and - after turning in the correct direction - it's off.  Thanks for the post Bob - I need all the help I can get.  The crank is soaking in some dawn to degrease.  I have few chrome bits soaking in the Evaporust.  I will be interested to see what tomorrow and day 4 brings.  Any tips on really brightening up a semi pitted frame?  There's way more paint on the frame than rust and I figure if I can make the original paint frame SHINE - it may distract from other parts of this beastly bike.  And the kickstand - I'd like to get that out.  I've watched a couple YouTube videos.  I loaded that up with solvent as well.  Any tips?   I am enjoying the process.  Thanks to all.
Rusted frames are rusted frames.  I've heard of wiping on transmission fluid to restore some moisture to the paint, which I am going to try on a Murray, but I've never done it. 
The kickstand can be a bear.  If you don't have to remove it, I wouldn't.