Author Topic: ?? Raleigh Gran Sport/Grand Sport/Grand Sports??  (Read 2514 times)

Offline momo608

• Skids and Wheelies
?? Raleigh Gran Sport/Grand Sport/Grand Sports??
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Does anyone know anything about why these, as far as I can tell, identical bikes used these variations in badging on essentially the same bike?

I edited out the personal BS
sixties, seventies and eighties Chicago Schwinn's plus a few interlopers

Offline rickpaulos

• King of the Mountain
Re: ?? Raleigh Gran Sport/Grand Sport/Grand Sports??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
I worked in a Raleigh dealer in the 1970s.  I'm not sure what you mean by "badge shifting". 

We saw variations in the head tube badges on Raleigh Gran(d) Prixs.  Those came from at least 4 different factories in England, Ireland, The Netherlands and Canada. We could tell which was which by the "fit and finish" on the frames.  The Heron shaped head tube badges varried by country. Those made in Nottingham had "Nottingham" on the badge. Those not from Nottingham had a bar where Nottingham would have been.  Those from the Gazelle factory had "Made in Holland" near the bb shell.  As to Gran vs Grand, that could be a translation/spelling issue.  You know the USA and UK don't speak and spell the same English Language.

The mid line bikes, the Gran(d) Sport and the Competition should have all come from the Carlton factory.

In the 1970s, Raleigh was the largest bike company in the world with factories all over the planet.  Trying to maintain product consistency is always a challenge and Raleigh had a history of being a penny pinching company. They would not have thrown out useable decals because of a spelling variation.

They did have a different catalog for the USA.  Fewer models than what they offered in the UK.  And some models had different names.  Most models came in different colors from the UK and like most companies, they changed colors ever couple of years.

"We shows girls love on Valentine's Day, and they let us blow things up on the Fourth of July. I just pray they never fall on the same day."  HS.

A:jan B:feb C:mar D:apr E:may F:jun G:jul H:aug J:sep K:oct L:nov M:dec
A65 B66 C67 D68 E69 F70 G71 H72 J73 K74 L75 M76 N77 P78 Q79 R80 S81 T82 U83 V84

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
Re: ?? Raleigh Gran Sport/Grand Sport/Grand Sports??
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
I have a '78 Super Grand Prix and a '73 Super Course both were built at Work Sop. Check out the catalogs at the Headbadge website and Sheldon Brown's Retro Raleigh. Lots if information there

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion