Author Topic: 1954 Black Phantom in UK  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Jeules0

• Training Wheel
1954 Black Phantom in UK
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
Hi, I have already introduced myself on the forum but would like to know if anyone knows anything of the history of this bike.
Long shot I know, but it was imported to the UK by Gus Dudgeon, Elton John's record producer, in the 1990s and I was wondering if anyone knows its history. Someone may remember selling it to him, perhaps....
The serial no. is M85**3 dating it to September 1954.
It has been stored since the late 90s and apart from some surface pitting to the chrome is in remarkably good condition with excellent paintwork.
I've spent the last couple of weeks since I bought it polishing and oiling it, and riding it!
It certainly gets a lot of attention from young and old, male and female.
Thanks, Chris

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
Re: 1954 Black Phantom in UK
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »
The bike looks like it's in very nice shape.  :)

Offline Jeules0

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
Update.
As I wasn't very confident with the rear cruiser brake as my sole means of stopping, I asked a local cycle store to fit a front drum brake to the original rim.
A Sturmey Archer X-FD was ordered and a set of spokes were specially made to fit. Apparently, fitting new to old meant that standard lengths were not suitable.
I then connected a vintage red dot Weinman brake lever.
Great improvement to stopping power.
Obviously, an original drum brake would have been ideal, but I felt that safety was paramount so I compromised. Also, here in the UK these are just not available.
I have retained the old hub and spokes in case a return to original is ever required.

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
Really nice Phantom Jueles!  They are the Cadillac of cruisers.  Like a sofa on wheels.
When you rob from Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on having Paul's support.