Author Topic: New guy from NC…2 of my Stingrays  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Tsolaro

• Training Wheel
New guy from NC…2 of my Stingrays
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
Hey everybody…I've been told everyone like to see pics on here so I wanna post two of my bikes. Both of them have been sitting 10+ yrs and need lots of work. I would like to get both of them road worthy again. The green is a 69 standard 3spd and the orange Fastback is a 73. To start I'd like to get the correct tires for the 73 but not sure if its worth buying the NOS tires or just buying  Schwinn classics. The seat on the 69 is wrong and I'm wanting to replace it with the correct one but I'm not sure what should be on there. I'm new to the Stingray scene and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Bikes42

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
Re: New guy from NC…2 of my Stingrays
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Nice bikes! Two of my favorite colors.

We've just got a couple of single speed Sting-Rays in our stable, so I'm no expert, but those folks will be along to help you out.

Keep us posted on your progress. Those look like they will clean up fine!

Tad
1959 Radiant Green Tiger, 1961 Radiant Blue Varsity, 1966 Violet Super Sport, 1967 Sky Blue Paramount P13, 1971 Burgundy Super Sport, 1972 Flamboyant Red Paramount Tandem, 1972 Opaque Green Super Sport, 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer, 1973 Opaque Blue Continental, 1973 Opaque Blue Super Sport, 1986 Scarlet/Black Super Sport, 1987 Ice Pink Prelude, 1989 RWB Prelude, 1991/92 Serotta Colorado LT, 1993 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 2008 Opaque Blue Madison, 2017 Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Nice bikes!
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
Hi there, Tsolaro!
You have two very beautiful bikes.  Thank you for posting those pictures.

That green saddle on your '69 may not be "correct" (if that means factory original), but it compliments the frame rather nicely.  I see no reason to replace it, unless you're determined to make everything "correct", and have plenty of money to spend on it.  Is there a nameplate across the rear of the seat? 
That Slik on the rear is a rare gem!  Unless it's cracked from age, and unsafe to ride, having sat for a decade, it's a keeper.  Even if it's unsafe, it's still valuable to somebody who just wants to display their bike.
It looks like a tune-up is really all this bike needs to make it road worthy.  A set of chrome fenders would make this bike stand out in a crowd.

I really like your Fastback!    Tires inevitably get worn out from riding, and replaced.  NOS tires will cost you plenty, if you can find them at all.  A better investment would be to have the handlebars re-chromed.
Geezer

Offline Tsolaro

• Training Wheel
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
Thanks Bikes42 and Echo_Delta! I will keep u guys posted.

Thanks for the advice Geezer! The tag on the seat says Persons on it. The previous owner told me the original seat was all tore up so he put that one on. I was hoping to find a nice "rider" quality seat on here or eBay. I spoke to the Pete seat guy in AZ and he said the bike should have a ribbed silver metallic seat on it. I just haven't found one yet. I don't have a ton of money to spend on it but I'd like to do what u said and tune it up and make it a little more correct than what it is. I like chasing down parts for the bikes, it's a fun part of the hobby for me. The rear slik is dry rotted!! Not safe at all but the front is original and usable. The tires on the Fastback are totally wasted, sidewalls coming apart. Have u had any expierence with the schwinn re issue tires? Would they effect the cool factor if I were to put them on either bike? I found a set of NOS Fastback tires on eBay but $250 is a lot of $$. When u buy NOS tires do u have to worry about the date codes much or just be thankful u found a set?

Offline mcmfw2

• Junior Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
The re-issued Fastback tires are pretty darn close to original along with the blackwall Westwind and both would be fine to ride on....    Also if I was buying a set of NOS tires for $250 I would make sure they are dated to my bike and I sure wouldn't be riding on those.. 

Mark

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »
What a shame that the Slik is dry rotted.  Those tires are about as scarce as frog feathers.  I say that any tire, even a BMX knobby would not effect the cool factor of this bike enough to worry about, so long as it fits the rim.  Tires get worn out and replaced all the time; they're not something that effects coolness or resale value as much as factory paint, wheels and other parts.  The same is true of  cables.  Your rear brake cable looks like it's seen better days.  I'll wager that the brake pads aren't in much better shape, either.  Replace both and ride!  A Persons saddle is every bit as cool as a Schwinn saddle, especially one that compliments the frame like yours does.

Is that orange saddle on your Fastback a Persons, too?

For what it's worth, the only original Schwinn parts on the bike in this picture are the frame, chainguard, crank and kickstand.  Everything else is foreign made (Japan, Taiwan, China and Canada), and nobody has called it anything but cool.

Geezer

Offline Tsolaro

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
Hey Mark I was thinking the same thing. $250 is a lot of $$ to just ride around on plus like U said it would be nice to have the correct date codes. The ones I seen for sale did not and I don't wanna wait an eternity tryin to find em. I can see spending that money if the bike was mint but its not and I really do wanna ride it. I think I'm gonna get the re-issues and roll with them. I've seen those for sale for $80 for both with tubes.

Hey Geezer love the ride! It is cool! What yr is it? Did u build it? The Fastback has the original seat on it and is marked Stingray. I Think the bike is all original except for the brake cables, brake pads and tires, all the "wearable items"  The seat is split and dry but it's good enough for a rider. I wish the slik was in better shape to, the guy I got it from had it in storage for 10+ yrs, by the way the slik is dry rotted and split I would say non climate control storage.  I'm going to replace the tires on it, probably get the re-issues for it too.

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
Tsolaro,
I hope this doesn't hijack your thread, but since you asked, that's my son's bike.  He had been looking for a Stingray, and was frustrated that the only bikes he could find were girl's frames.  Then he spotted this bike in the local classifieds.  It was advertised as a Stingray, but was obviously modified as a BMX.  In fact, it turned out to be a '77 Tornado, which was Schwinn's late (and lame) entry into the BMX market.  A bit of research showed that it is the same frame that Schwinn had been using for many years as the mini Typhoon, which Al Fritz famously turned into the Stingray.  This bike wasn't even rideable when my son bought it.  Fork bearings were terminally rusted and seized inside the head tube.  It was a real basket case!  He disassembled it completely, stripped and sanded the frame and repainted it in black, shot red on the front, clear coated it, cleaned the chrome chain ring, re-greased the crank bearings and reassembled the crank assembly, then rebuilt the bike using all new repop parts.   It's now a fairweather rider, and he calls it a 'Ray.

"A bike is only original once, when it's new".  Sheldon Brown

Here is the seller's ad photo, and one showing the frame sanded clean.
Geezer

Offline Tsolaro

• Training Wheel
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
Hey Geezer no worries buddy I'll share my thread with u. I love the bike, please tell your son he did an awesome job!

Offline Geezer

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »
That's mighty sportin' of you, Tsolaro!  ;)
I'm looking forward to seeing your bikes all cleaned up and back on the road again, and thinking that we won't have to wait too long.
Remember: "Can't be cool if the chrome don't shine"8)
Geezer