Author Topic: 1953 Meteor chainguard?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline dhotop

• Training Wheel
1953 Meteor chainguard?
« on: March 25, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »
I have a lead on what I think is a 1953 Scwhinn Meteor and trying to do some research to confirm if that's what it is.

Not much out there on this bike except it sounds like it was a one-year only model in '53 & then called the Wasp in '54.

The '53 catalog shows a chainguard w/ the schwinn emblem directly above the bottom bracket but the very few pictures I can find online show the emblem lower, on the bottom of the chainguard.

Any ideas/thoughts on which is correct?  Either/Both?

Thanks in advance!

Dean

Offline dhotop

• Training Wheel
Re: 1953 Meteor chainguard?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »
Thank you.  Same pic on Findley's site (attached).  Also attached is picture of the chainguard of bike in question. 

Now, in looking @ the catalog page on the Findley site, I see the "Leader" model just below the "Meteor" model and wondering if the catalog just has the two swapped as every picture I've found (including the link below) of the Meteor matches the picture of the Leader in the catalog and the bike I'm looking at matches the Meteor pic in catalog.  The two distinctions are the chainguard and torpedo light difference between the two.

No wonder I'm "all confused and mislead"... ;-)

Thanks,

Dean

The catalog pictures you posted from the schwinncruiser site are wrong, dead wrong. Use Findley's site for your info searches and you won't get all confused and mislead with all the errors. Here are a few pics of the Meteor by Jkent. More in his thread. I believe he had it for sale a little while ago. Sweet example. 
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?47240-Sweet!!!-1953-Schwinn-Meteor&highlight=schwinn+meteor

For sale or trade.
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?53063-2-For-1-Deal-Anyone&highlight=schwinn+meteor

Offline TJ Hansen

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
I agree with Island Schwinn, I have owned two Schwinn Meteors and both had the deluxe chainguards.

Offline Nick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »
Catalogs are catalogs.

I take them with a grain of salt now.

Offline bartcycle

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
Since catalogs are printed before the actual bikes come out they sometimes use the previous year model or prototype for the picture.