Author Topic: 1953 Power Cycle Truck aka Whizzer Cycle Truck Super Welter Weight  (Read 4316 times)

Offline ray-of-hope

• Skids and Wheelies
  • rAy......
Re: 1953 Power Cycle Truck aka Whizzer Cycle Truck Super Welter Weight
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
Your story reminds me of the many times a friend and I took that kind of trip to find Model "A"s to sell. We also had to work with cash and had to turn around when things got somewhat suspicious. Loved the finds, but at times questioned  ::) our selves when going down roads like you described.
A wonderful find though good luck with it.
These types of transportation are making a come-back, at least for now in Europe, quite common in Finland, Denmark and the surrounding countries.
I mean Cycle-trucks not the motorized versions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:04:37 AM by ray-of-hope »
"No Electrons Were Harmed In The Making Of This Letter"
"Made from 99% recycled bits"

Offline acg_schwinn

• Board Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »
Very interesting read!   Thanks for sharing!

...and if you can spare the time, please upload some progress photos!

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 01:33:44 PM »
You have to be a member of Facebook to see the photos. Let me know if you need help posting pictures here.

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
most people are a member.  don't need help but don't have the time to resize them so they will show up here.

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
I am sitting here designing a very expensive pool for a client in Miami and just thought, the Whizzer Cycle Truck has been in the garage for just a little over a year.  Well here is an update.  Its buried in the garage right now.  Chrome just came back from Proctors in Michigan and looks great.  (only 3 pieces of chrome, gooseneck, crank and sprocket).  I am now researching who will rebuild (if needed) and detail the engine.  I am leaning towards Richard Nelson Helmutt, no one else replied to the post on the Whizzer page and Quinton only rebuilds and not detail the engine and carb.  Never heard of Richard Helmutt?  Search Helmutt Whizzer XCELSIOR.  He builds some wild bitchin stuff.  He promises to build mine stock and back to original.  I still have to get a piece of plywood for under the basket and then send the frame out to be pinched (early frame, these were only made in 1953 and this is a October of 1952 frame) was never pinched from the factory and needs to be for belt clearance.  A couple pieces to be powder coated and then all the pieces parts go out to probably Pedro Colon for painting and pin striping.  NOS Fenders have been located along with lots of other NOS parts.  Pedro is my fellow Cycle Truck Nut along with Roland.  Its all their fault!  I blame them!  I have the 47 Whizzer, and the 43 Cycle Truck, well this is their offspring, 1952/53 Whizzer Cycle Truck / Schwinn Power Cycle.  I am going all out on this one and have a phone number for a guy who makes Whizzer Station Wagons that attached to the Whizzer seat post and had 2 wheels.  Only about 12 were ever made.  Try to find one!  That's why they are reproduced.  I haven't seen one in person, only pictures.  There is one in a museum in Miami, which I met the curator at a cars and coffee function a couple weeks ago.  He wants me to come tell him about the bikes his boss has bought and has in the museum.  Oh, why no work on the Whizzer?  Work, and playing on 7-1/2" gauge ride on trains.  I am VP of a 7-1/2" gauge railroad in Fort Lauderdale.  I also just finished restoring a Fawn Beverage sign from Elmira NY, 1 of 1 known to exist and it hung on the factory building.  The theme for the bike went from REA (Railway Express Agency) to Fawn Beverage.  The 2 signs for the sides of the basket are being made now.

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 06:41:25 AM »
Quick update on the project.  Just picked up a rebuilt H engine, and a pair of NOS motor mounts.  Why send my motor out for rebuild and risk damaging it on the way there and instead just buy one already done right?  Then if Fed Ex boogers it up, then its on them and not me.  Oh, and I have the pieces parts to do the repair off my motor. :)

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 06:31:33 AM »
Getting back on this project.  Just picked up a Bi-lite, and NOS Generator plus the taillight and license plate bracket (Don't know if I am putting that on or not)  Frame leaves today to be pinched for belt clearance.  Then a little weld repair on a small crack on the one rear fork arm and its off to Pedro for paint.

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 06:33:19 AM »
Another update.  The frame was stripped of paint and is now in the hands of a very talented friend.  Roland BCCTN! got the frame last Saturday to beef up a couple welds.  Like the one that olds the basket braces.  Then its off to Pedro for paint.  Hoping for reassembly and showing it at Dania Beach Vintage Motorcycle Show in January.

Also picked up NOS headlight generator used taillight for it.  Its gonna be nice!

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »
Update:  This will be dedicated to the memory of my father who passed away December 15th.  The frame is ready for paint but Pedro cant paint in the winter.  That's who I wanted to paint it.  I checked with Tim Brandt who did my 43 CT and he has moved and now has 2 kids.  Also has 1 more bike to paint but may take on my CT depending if the neighbors complain when he paints this last bike.  Checked with Bob Usasi and haven't heard back from him.  Most likely at this point I will wait for Pedro since the Dania Beach Vintage Motorcycle Show is at the end of January and time is getting too close.  It will be debuted in 2018 there fully restored and done.  I also need to get a sign made up for the bike to put on display.  "The Money Pit" is what I think I will call it unless I can come up with something better for it.

Offline schwinncoll

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
Its Alive!   The frame, forks, guard, and fenders will be going to Pedro soon so he can work his magic.  He has done work for Mike Defino and alot of others.  Getting excited about this project again.