Author Topic: Disputes Concerning Buying and Selling on this Forum  (Read 16183 times)

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
Disputes Concerning Buying and Selling on this Forum
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
We are not dispute mediators here. Our expectations for the Classified section is that everyone deal in good faith with each other and it is our responsibility to prevent any type of ongoing fraud, scam or purposeful deception.

We ask that sellers and buyers that have disputes to settle things between themselves. If you suspect that you are a victim of a scam or fraud that you please contact the moderators through the Personal Messaging or email and provide some evidence that we will use to discuss among ourselves to determine what actions need to be taken.

We Recommend members to pay with paypal whenever possible and NOT to send it as a gift/friend payment. (For sales it is a Pay-Pal rule) We Have seen some major issues develop when sending as friend/family, mainly... the buyer having no recourse if something goes wrong. The money they charge is the cost of doing business.  Figure it into the price of the part BEFORE you list it.  If there is an issue it will be money well spent.  I also will only send parts with tracking…. (Another Pay-Pal rule if you have an issue and want them to help)

Jennifer & Don
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
Re: Disputes Concerning Buying and Selling on this Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
This has come up again.... ??? 

Pay pal for sales has already been stated... Above ^^^^

Pay Pal as a gift does have it's uses....

Someone is doing a Charity ride... Like the MS 150 for example
Someone is down & out and you want to help them with some money.
It is someones Birthday
I think you get the idea....

Think of it this way.... 

If you are selling something.... It is NOT a gift....   
If you are giving something.... That is a gift... (hence the name)  ;)

If you sell something and call it a gift.... That (In MO) is lying.  (Fraud)
PayPal makes there money by handling transactions.... They handle "gifts" because they are nice.... (no profit) If you commit fraud in your transaction I doubt they will help much if their is a dispute.

Jennifer and I will NOT get in the middle of this kind of dispute.

This is not a rule (or code).... (we cannot control your business)  But this is a guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b6kgS_AwuH0
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:40:25 PM »
We have very few disputes as compared to other forums. We come across one here and one there but in the overall scheme of things the buyers and sellers on this forum using our Classifieds are pretty much on the up and up. Having said that though just make sure if you are dropping a large chunk of change for that grail bike you've been searching for the last ten years that you protect yourself from being defrauded. We have no mechanism for taking action other than to prevent frauds from using the forum after the fact.

Offline acg_schwinn

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
If I may offer a little clarification here...

There is a functional difference (beyond the fee issue) between sending money for "goods or services" and sending it to "family or friends." (The word "gift" does not actually appear anywhere in the process.)

Earmarking the payment for "goods or services" does deduct a percentage of the funds received by the recipient (who's considered to be the seller in the transaction), but in addition, and more importantly, the sender is also covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. Details can be found here:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&fli=true&content_ID=security/buyer_protection

Earmarking the payment for "family or friends" does not deduct anything from the payment (as long as it's funded by either your PayPal balance or your bank account), so the recipient receives full value, but at the same time, the sender has no buyer protection if things go sour after that.

So you're free to use the "family or friends" however you choose, but note that the recipient should really, genuinely be a friend, because you're trusting them to do the right thing by you after that.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security?bn_r=o

Buyer Protection

Items Not Covered

Intangible items like digital goods or services, real estate, motorized vehicles (of any kind), custom made items, travel tickets, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid cards, or items that violate our policies or eBay’s policies, anything you buy in person, or money transfers to friends or family. You must open any dispute within 45 days of you will not be covered.

Offline vastingray

• Junior Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
That's true I sent a guy $150 for a seat he asked me to send it as a gift  like a fool I did  and got the wrong  seat and he wouldn't let me return it so I got stuck with a junk seat and lost my money. Besides now if you send it as a gift  PayPal   charges the sender a fee it's not free anymore

Offline island schwinn

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:25:58 PM »
I just sent money to friends and family,and it was free both ways.

Offline pedalsnostalgia

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:34:58 PM »
It is free as long as you have money in your PayPal account. Iv never been charged.

Offline Nick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
I have no paypal account but am able to send money now
from my credit union using their system. It did cost me
a dollar the one time I did it a few weeks back.

Offline schwinnman67

• Global Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
Just a quick post....
If you have or had a dispute with another member, please do not post negative comments on their posts.
Too many to list....