Author Topic: Pre-war drop-center rims and Nexus hubs...  (Read 391 times)

Offline chattymatty

• Training Wheel
Pre-war drop-center rims and Nexus hubs...
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:28 PM »
It's time to string up a new set of wheels for the old cruiser, so I picked up a set repop drop-center rims from fleabay to make use of the hand-me down pair of Nexus hubs my old man gave me. The hubs are an SG-7R46 and a HBIM40... what are the chances one of you fine gentlemen or gentleladies have been down this path less traveled ahead of me and might have a spoke length for me? Strangely enough none of the handy-dandy spoke length calculator apps seem to have 75 year-old rims in them. Go figure!

Offline bartcycle

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: Pre-war drop-center rims and Nexus hubs...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
you could use 270mm spoke cross 4 on both wheels.

Offline Grogger

• Training Wheel
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:17 AM »
chattymatty,

Nice cruiser. Tell me about the seatpost: Who makes it and where can I get one? I assume it's a BMX accessory.

Ron
Ron G. | Head Geek | The Bicycle Geekā„¢ Collection | A few favorites: 1938 Ladies' Model BA37, 1951 Hornet, 1952 Red Phantom, 1957 Corvette, 1958 Black Phantom, 1961 Speedster, 1962 Typhoon, 1972 Orange Krate, 1973 Paramount P10-9, 1973 Sting-Ray 5-Speed, 1974 Paramount P13-9

Offline chattymatty

• Training Wheel
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
270 x4, awesome thanks Bart!

Thanks Grogger. As for the seatpost, no the BMX guys would laugh me out of the building for its weight. It's a solid bar of 303 stainless we bent on my dad's 40 ton press. He's kinda like Jeff Spicoli's dad in that regard, "he's got an awesome set of tools!" lol. He picked up a 3' length for $40 out here on this interweb thingy, and if it weren't for the sad fact that we are both on the wrong side of 300 pounds we could have squeezed three posts out of it, but we erred on the long side just to have extra length in the tube. It's a machine finish which I'll eventually hit with the buffing wheel, but for the moment it matches the worn out cad plating on the AS seatpost clamp so that'll be a project for another day.

And yes, the ugly chain wheel and plastic pedals have to go, unfortunately the only decent Schwinn crank we had had a stripped arm so we had to tap it to 9/16, and these were the only 9/16 pedals in his "pedal box" that weren't Campagnolo (BTW, if you need a MIB pair of Campy pedals, lol) . But it beats the old Team Schwinn BMX cranks and KKT's it wore in it's last incarnation as a late 70's mountain bike when dad gave it to me in '83. The obligatory chrome feather chainguard is on the wish list too.

Back in the day I ran a GT layback on my Sting Competition with the ugly reducer (though I was prolly the only person it bothered, lol) and even as a skinny-ish kid that got all bent to hell. Could never bring myself to get one the later designs with the truss bar, those were just too ugly, and admitting you needed one was worse than buying your clothes in the "Husky" sizes!

I made mine a little shorter and a tighter bend than his as I liked the look a little closer to the frame. Ignore the cheesy sheepskin seat cover, this pic is from his first ride after prostate surgery:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:07:59 PM by chattymatty »

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
    • 3rd Bay Bikes
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
Nice bikes!  TMI on the sheepskin.  Ouch!
When you rob from Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on having Paul's support.