Author Topic: The Cycle Truck Post  (Read 17085 times)

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
The Cycle Truck Post
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »
Due to the demise of all my photos from Webshots, all photos are at the bottom of this post

I have deleted the old post and will keep going on this one as things progress, instead of starting a new topic each time. I included the post that was deleted to begin with, and will continue on from there.

Oh Yeah!! Time for a road trip!!!
Well, As if I didn't have enough stuff sitting around to trip over, I figured one more couldn't hurt.
It seems that a '60 model CT1 has decided to retire and relocate from north to south Florida....

Looks like sometime in the next few days I'll be making a 560 mile round trip to pick it up. Jury's out on this one, and once it gets here, I'm gonna have a sit down meeting with them and see who's gonna get voted out. (I think I've been hearing too many of those un-reality shows....)
I will be figuring out which ones will get built and which will get to have a second chance with someone else maybe.

And just when I thought I was done... along came this one. The last frame variant I didn't have - a '57 that uses the Cycle-Truck unique headbadge. I have one now.... Should see it in the next couple of weeks!!

I'm done now (I hope!)

EDIT:
I wasn't... done that is. Picked up another one. This would be a '54. Unfortunately, it's the same frame as the '57. It looked pretty nice, though it seems to have a lot of little issues, the worst being the rear fender is about 91% Bondo. That is really the tip of the iceberg, so we'll see what happens with it as time goes on.

I've got to stop now!
REC
BCC-TN
Board Certified Cycle-Truck Nut

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
Re: The Cycle Truck Post
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
Nearly completed one of the ones that has been here for a while now. This is a '65 that as you can see, started out in red. Fixed that, now I need to get the final pieces replaced (Some parts on it now were used to get it together for now) The bars, seat and pedals will be replaced with what I had in mind to begin with (and I thought they were in a box in the shed - not.) The basket board is not set up right, so it has to be remade. I'll use this one under another basket on a different bike for now. Should work out fine for that one. It was a learning experience.
Started out:

Here's the result for now:

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
And for the new year, I did a little work over the holidays on the Christmas present from my wife. The basket that got put on has been straightened and painted, and I put a 6 hole rack on it. I like that better than the one it had when I bought it (that I never put back on.)
Here's the latest:

That's it for now..

REC
BCC-TN

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
The '65 Big Basket is now COMPLETED!!!!! 2/14/10
The final pieces came together yesterday and were put on and finished today. I got the chainguard and seatpost stuff done and put them on as the final touches for this one. The Stand and basket may eventually get powdercoated, but presently are painted, and it looks pretty durable to me, so it may be a good ways off.

I'm way beyond overjoyed with the end result, and the idea that this STILL looks black even at under 5' away is a killer. The black metallic inside the pinstriped borders hides itself extremely well. (It does show well when the sun hits it, but again, you have to be pretty close!)

Here are a couple of shots...

Thanks for looking!
REC

Offline Echo_Delta

• Grand Champion
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
That is one big___ basket!  The bike came out nice.  The pistripes look good. 
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
Outstanding!  What is the volume of that basket (!?)

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
Outstanding!  What is the volume of that basket (!?)

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

The volume is LARGE!!  28 X 22 X 11 or 6776 Cu. In. if my math is correct. HXWXD?

OK... more specifically - 3 mediums dogs to go, or one wife folded neatly, or.... a whole pile of rust!

I can say that after the ride on one with the large basket, the regular sized one is like a toy.

Maiden voyage was yesterday, and it was FAR smoother and more quiet than I anticipated. I didn't even get much in the way of rattles from the basket.

I loved it!
REC

Offline vincev

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »
Newbee to this forum.Trying to post a pic.I picked up this c.t. last fall.Havent done anything to it.still looking for proper basket

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Newbee to this forum.Trying to post a pic.I picked up this c.t. last fall.Havent done anything to it.still looking for proper basket

That is an interesting piece! You'll probably be looking for the basket for a while I'd bet, as that one is a large basket model based on the nut on the top tube and the notch in the signplate. The nut is to attach a brace from the frame to the back of the basket, and usually if it had a nut, the signplate would not need the notch - based on what I've seen in the past. The notch allows a crossbrace at the back of the basket, and I don't recall seeing a CT with both before.

Have you pulled the crank on it? It may help to validate the year, and I'd be interested in knowing the serial number as it could be added to the list I've been compiling for several years now.
Nice old ride!

REC

Offline vincev

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »
Hi REC,I checked the serial number.It is I34609.The headbadge says Excelsior.Do you think it was replaced? It also has strange Persons pedals.

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »
Hi REC,I checked the serial number.It is I34609.The headbadge says Excelsior.Do you think it was replaced? It also has strange Persons pedals.

The number is odd, but not unusual. I have several other "I" serial numbers noted, and they are out of sequence to the normal pattern that started in 38/39 through '43. The bike is consistent with the time period, so I'd venture an early wartime production.

The badge could have been changed.  Is the badge footed, a crest, or an oval?   Post a shot of it please.  I had been told of an Admiral badge and another one I can't find right now, so it is entirely possible it could have been badged as something other than the unique CT badge.  I am NOT an expert on the aging/dating of these, but am studying them pretty hard and have read any and everything I can get my hands on.  I've been working on this database idea for several years now, and still don't have a heckuva lot, but it is growing constantly.  It seems I learn something every day.... kinda like life!

Thanks for posting
REC

Offline vincev

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »

here is the headbadge

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
That would be the crest. Nice, and it looks like it has been there for a week or two!

The Cycle-Truck unique badge is the same size and drilling, so it could have come that way, or it could have been changed at some point in the not too recent past.

I bought one of those Excelsior badges a few years ago to build a project around. I think that is one of the best looking ones out there. Kind of "art-deco-ish" looking, reminds me of the 30's / 40's.

I see some shiny new basket brackets on there too. Keep an eye out... there may be a basket or two floating around. If I see one, I'll try to remember who's looking for one. HOWEVER.....  If it's a large one, it's every man for himself! I am still looking for one too.

REC

Offline vincev

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
The brackets are new.The bike has a great patina on it I could not believe how solid these bikes were.I ride this one and the frame is rock solid despite its looks No rust thru the fenders either.I really like it as it is and may not "restore "it.

Offline Cycletrucker

• Training Wheel
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
Does anyone on this list have a 20" Cycle Truck. I haven't seen that many.
Looking for:
Front racks
Old  Boy Scout back packs
1984/85 24" SCHWINN SP VOYAGEUR
1980'S 24" SPECIALIZED EXPEDITION
Sugino PX Cranks and rings
Stronglight Cranks and rings
T/A Cranks HURET touring rear derailleurs
Aluminum fenders
3 SPEED HUB WING NUTS