Author Topic: New Departure Model DD 2 Speed Conversion  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
New Departure Model DD 2 Speed Conversion
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
I installed the DD 2 speed conversion kit in my 39 DX today.  All went well until I started to lock down the actuator.  Still works (barely).  I love the gearing.  The low is about a .83/1 and the high is about a 1.3/1.  I think the look works well with the styling of the bike.

If you have one of these you will part with, please let me know.
When you rob from Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on having Paul's support.

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
Re: New Departure Model DD 2 Speed Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »
Oohh ... dang ... I know how excited you were to get this done.  That's a shame.

Hopefully you will find another soon.

It looks cool on the bike and I'm sure the additional gear is nice to have.

Congrats,

Bob

Offline schwinnman67

• Global Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:40 PM »
Sent an email to someone I know that has some ND stuff, keep your fingers crossed....
Too many to list....

Offline james

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
peristance pays off- you'll find it-- james

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
Thank you guys.  I think I have found one.  I will know when I get home.  A local bike buddy picked up one from Marc (Easywind).  They think it's the correct one.  I'll keep you posted. Note to self...these are getting hard to find.

I nursed it around the block with the broken Actuator.   How sweet! Can't wait to get home and finish it up.
When you rob from Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on having Paul's support.

Offline schwinnman67

• Global Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
Good luck!

I haven't heard back from my source, but I hope to soon...
Too many to list....

Offline schwinnman67

• Global Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
Just got an email, no luck. He has no DD parts....
Too many to list....

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
Thank you for your effort, Schwinnman.  I'll know later today if the one from Easywind will work.  BTW, as part of this project I acquired a set of photos of instructions on the installation and adjustment of the New Departure 2 Speed Conversion Kit.  It is great reference material and should be archived somewhere.  If one of the mods here are interested I will e-mail the photos so they can be posted on this site somewhere.

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
You can send them to me at:

bhufford3@mchsi.com

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
I sent the instructions.  They are photos rather than scans but it's all I have. 

I'm pleased to say I have the new actuator and it works perfectly!  For someome thinking to install one of these two speed kits, it's a bit trickier than the instructions lead you to believe.  It's very easy to get it out of adjustment either leaving too much end play or over tightening and driving the sun gear out of position causing the gears to slip.  But when properly adjusted it works really well.  For some reason it is noticably quieter in low than the Bendix 2 speed hubs. No purring sound that I'm accustom to.  Looks cool, works great, I can see why they're a popular accessory.

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion

Offline younggun85

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
Can a regular model D hub be converted to two speed? Or are the hub shell/housing and insides different? I have never seen a model DD in person.

Offline Ozark Flyer

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:12 AM »
Yes, there is a "conversion kit" that converts a single speed model D to a two speed. That's what I used on the bike above.  It requires that you remove the existing axle and hub driver leaving all the other hub guts inside, then screw in the DD axle and driver unit which contains the two speed gearing.  It's truly a 10 minute exchange if you don't count the time I took to take it apart and regrease.

ND made some factory two speeds identified by the DD stamped on the shell.  Most of what I have seen are the conversion kits stamped DD on the driver housing.

Offline younggun85

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »
The bike looks great and the 2speed makes it even cooler. This is the next thing on my wish list, but I am going to have to settle for a SA 3SC for now.

Offline oggimyson

• Training Wheel
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 01:42:58 AM »
@BobHufford.
Hello,

http://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford3/ND_2Spd_01b.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford3/ND_2Spd_02b.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford3/ND_2Spd_03b.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford3/ND_2Spd_04b.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford3/ND_2Spd_05b.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford3/ND_2Spd_06b.jpg

I'm getting "Forbidden" when clicking on these links. Can these be reposted to access. These seem to be the only thing I can find on the net other than the parts list/diagram on the DD 2 speed.
Thanks,
Jim.