Author Topic: Schwinn Superior(?) Serial Number  (Read 1756 times)

Offline pastorbobnlnh

• Training Wheel
    • FreewheelSpa.Com
Re: Schwinn Superior(?) Serial Number
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »
Has the paint been touched up?  ???  Looks like the rear fender should help somewhat in figuring out the year and model. It has painted fenders verses the chrome/aluminum/stainless and the braces are not the round rod type. You say there are fender mounting lugs on the fork?

I think the paint is original based on the painted darts on the fork blades.  Although I've never seen this color.

I agree, the fender stays make it look to be a newer model. Does anyone know when the change was made from rods to the pressed ones?

I must have dreamed it had the fender tabs.  I was wrong on that.   :-X  In any event I'll need a front fender.
Bob
Chaplain to Abandoned Bikes in a NH Town Dump!

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
  • I roll on 27s
    • SLDB
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 08:04:31 AM »
Is the seat post clamp integrated or a separate piece?

Bob

Offline pastorbobnlnh

• Training Wheel
    • FreewheelSpa.Com
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »
Is the seat post clamp integrated or a separate piece?

Bob

Good question Bob, and I should have mentioned this earlier.  It is a separate piece. While you can't see it in this picture, it has the "D" shaped "AS" imprinted bolt head for the clamping nut and bolt.  I'll take closeups of the clamp and post later today.

Bob

Offline pastorbobnlnh

• Training Wheel
    • FreewheelSpa.Com
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
A few more detail pictures for IDing and determining the date:

An Ann Arbor, MI, April 30 1957 registration on the rear fender, and reflector in poor shape.

"D" shaped binder bolt head and separate seatpost collar.

Braze ons for chainguard, fender, kickstand, and "Schwinn" crank arm.

Headset top nut and bearing cup.

Better closeup of headbadge.

Remnants of Tubing decal and LBS sticker?

"Schwinn" cranks with "AS & CO"

Notice the red and white pinstripes on the chainguard.  These are also on the frame stays, fork and fender.

What's left of a wrap around decal on the bottom of the down tube?

SA AW shifter, grip, and brake lever.

Bob

Offline silvercreek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
The value of our lives comes not in what we do or whom we know, but by who we are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20832064@N03/sets/

1954 Schwinn Phantom
1954 Schwinn Jaguar
1976 Takara Grand Touring
1976 Raleigh Technium
1976 Raleigh Sports
1978 Schwinn Paramount P13-9
1998 Raleigh SC30

Offline rhenning

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »
Here are some pictures of what I believe is my 1941 New World that came with the optional Superior crank set on it.  There isn't much difference between it and a Superior or other top of the line fillet brazed lightweights.  I have it outfitted as a Path Racer in the pictures but I still have all the original parts.  Roger

Offline skydog

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
I saw this one over at CABE: http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?4216-1940-schwinn-new-world but don't know if it will help.
1963 Schwinn Superior 22"
1982 Schwinn Continental 24"
1982 Schwinn Continental 26" (bought new)

WTB: 1978 Schwinn Superior 24" frame preferably in Flamboyant Red. Must be original and in very good condition.

GTs58

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
With that Superior head badge, Superior crankset, painted fender and dated rear hub, I'll have to say your bike is a 1949 Ladies Superior. The frame SN was more than likely stamped on the bottom bracket shell in 1948 before the fire. I believe all the serial numbers were stamped on the individual frame component prior to the frame being built.

Offline pastorbobnlnh

• Training Wheel
    • FreewheelSpa.Com
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 06:07:13 AM »
With that Superior head badge, Superior crankset, painted fender and dated rear hub, I'll have to say your bike is a 1949 Ladies Superior. The frame SN was more than likely stamped on the bottom bracket shell in 1948 before the fire. I believe all the serial numbers were stamped on the individual frame component prior to the frame being built.

Question: Has anyone collected a database of pre-fire 1948 and earlier serial numbers?  Off the top of my head I can't recall my '39 New World SN. 

I'm always amazed by how few Superiors seem to have been made (or survived) between 1938 and and the early 1950s.  Of course we have lots of great New World examples, and there do seem to be plenty of Paramounts.  Makes me scratch my head.  Has anyone else noticed this? 

My guess is WWII had a big impact on this.  Professional cyclists and the affluent provided enough demand for the Paramounts.  The middle class at the end of the depression and during the war could afford the New World, but were cautiously frugal enough not to spring for a more expensive Superior.  Finally, since the Chrome Molybdenum tubing was originally developed for aircraft frames, the war created a shortage of spare tubing available for bicycle construction.

After the war, when there was a demand to build more civil aircraft and replace military aircraft that were left overseas, the tubing was still not readily available, and what was available, would more likely be used for Paramounts.  This fact made Schwinn produce a few Superiors from the same seamless tubing used in New Worlds.  This gold ladies Superior could be an example of this?

Well, that's my speculation and a possible explanation.  I suppose we'll never know if it holds any water.
Bob

Offline skydog

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »
I think BobHufford has posted before that someone has started to assemble a pre-fire data base of serial numbers.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:55:24 AM by skydog »

WTB: 1978 Schwinn Superior 24" frame preferably in Flamboyant Red. Must be original and in very good condition.

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
  • I roll on 27s
    • SLDB
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
I think BobHufford has posted before that someone has started to assemble a pre-fire data base of serial numbers.
Well, if I did I don't remember where I saw it.   :(

Bob

Offline pastorbobnlnh

• Training Wheel
    • FreewheelSpa.Com
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
Well, it would seem a "Sticky" with the first post locked, edited and maintained by a "global moderator" such as the infamous Bob H.  :) would make a great deal of sense.

Jus' sayin'!
Bob

Offline skydog

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 06:28:50 AM »
Just an "I'm not ready to see this post die yet" bump!