Author Topic: Schwinn Tech & Spec Guide 1.1, New Book Now Available  (Read 3368 times)

Offline greenephantom

• Skids and Wheelies
Schwinn Tech & Spec Guide 1.1, New Book Now Available
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:24:26 AM »
So check it out, I put together a massive Schwinn reference book.  It's quite broad in scope, and covers a wide range of Schwinn bikes.  If you'd like more info about the book, feel free to get in touch.  The book is currently only available on Lulu.com.  If you buy one (and you really should, what with winter coming up and all), and like it (which you likely will), I'd appreciate a positive review (or two) on Lulu.  I tried to write the kind of book I would have liked to have had when I was just getting into old Schwinns.  If I'd had a book like this back in the day I would have saved a lot of money and frustration.  (Knowledge is power.)  Okay, enough of the intro, on with the sales pitch.

The Pitch:
New Schwinn book now available!  400 pages of text and pictures cover Schwinn bikes (excluding diamond frame BMX and imports) 1950 – 1980.  Chapters cover chainrings, cranks, headsets, pedals, chainguards, badges, grips, tanks, shifters (Stik and otherwise), racks, lights, seats, and much more.  Tech is included throughout, and there’s a separate Tech and Tools section as well.  A Model Name Index covers all the different models that Schwinn produced, and goes into how they were equipped and how they evolved.  It’s a lot of information, and it’s even organized in a pretty logical fashion. 

If you’re just getting into the vintage Schwinn hobby, then this book is what you’ve been looking for.  It’s a great shortcut to Schwinn knowledge, and it’ll make sense of what bikes are valuable and which ones are pretty common.  If you’ve been in the hobby a few years, then you’ll still get a kick out of this book.  Information on year-to-year equipment changes and mechanical tech tips should prove useful to most people.  I’ve been active in the Schwinn hobby for over a decade, and I learned a lot of stuff while writing and researching this book.  If you’re already an expert at your particular niche, then this book will likely be too general for you, it doesn’t go into mid-year equipment changes or what month the such-and-such tire was introduced.  But for most people, this book should be quite helpful and informative.  From the Sting-Ray to the Varsity, from the Typhoon to the Phantom, from the Racer to the Breeze, this book covers the whole range of Schwinns, not just the currently popular collectables.

The Schwinn Tech & Spec Guide is only available on Lulu.com, search for Schwinn under the Books category.  Direct link is:  www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/schwinn-tech-spec-guide-11/7602441    And you can check out my website at:  www.greenephantom.com  for upcoming tech guides on Bendix coaster and 2 speed hubs.

Cheers, Geoff
New Book!  Schwinn Catalog Compilation 1946 1948 1952 1953. Four great catalogs in one! Bikes, parts, awesome-ness.

Schwinn Heavyweights 1946 - 1964, new book now available.  Autocycle to Wasp, Goodrich and Whizzers, plus tons more.

Schwinn Middleweight Guide 1955 - 1970, full color book, American to Typhoon. Awesome.

My Schwinn-tastic website:  www.greenephantom.com