Author Topic: "Show'n' Tell" Post your old Built up model car kits and dealer promo models....  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
This AMT 1/25 scale 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 hardtop is one of my earliest surviving model kit buildups. It was one of the last models that I brush painted the body only in the summer of 1971, before I assembled it. I paid a $1.50 for the kit at a store called Arlans that used to be located in the Manor Shopping Center on the southwest side of Lancaster City, PA, that year. That chain of stores no longer exsists. Around the year 2000, I tried to knock the thing totally down to repaint the interior, chassis, and engine compartment. As you can see, I was only partially successful. I could not remove the interior box from the body to repaint it in colors to match, so I let it go. I was afraid that if I would have used too much force, the whole assembly would have shattered,so I let it go with the chassis and engine compartment detailled only. It still is a very presentable model for being built over 40 years ago, by a 13 year old kid, (me). It is painted Pactra light blue, and yellow. (Ugly two-tone color combination, I know, but I had to make do with the paints I had on hand, as my parents did not let me go out and buy new paints for every new model kit that I bought.) Many years later,  I found out that one of these cars played the star role in the 1958 Robert Mitchum  movie, "Thunder Road".

Jim.
Still me after all these years. Just older, grayer and saggier.

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
GT, I know that one of your first actual vehicles that you owned was a two door wagon version of one of these, am I correct?

Jim.

GTs58

It was a 1957 Ranch Wagon. The sleek two door wagon but not as sleek as the 56 Nomad I wanted.  ;D

Offline Hoss Cartright

• Junior Pro
Built by me in 1972, 73, 74. When is was 14~15 years old.

Fan of original patina items. - List of my 'riders'
72 P15-9 Paramount - Kool Orange
72 P13-9 Paramount - CHROME
72 Sports Tourer - Kool Lemon
72 MERCIAN VINCITORE
73 P10-9 Paramount - Silver Mist
81 Super LeTour - Satin Black/Red
95 BOB JACKSON 
04 Cannondale R600

GTs58

Looks like you were a big Nascar fan back in the day.  ;D

In memory of a great kind hearted man.

Carroll Hall Shelby (January 11, 1923 – May 10, 2012)

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=16782.0

I still have a 1964 289 cu in Cobra model but unfortunately it's in storage. I hope to get my old remaining collection in a safe place before they melt inside the storage Pod.   

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
Hoss,(Jim),

Looks, and sounds like you were,(are) a big motorhead, like I was (am to a degree), and are around the same age as me (late 1957). Your period built NASCAR models are really beautifully well done, and are definitely welcome on this thread. That Mercury Cyclone is really neat. On a different note, I was searching the internet about Sierra Gold, and Adobe Beige 1957 Chevys for information on painting a "new" AMT 1/16 scale kit up with this color scheme that I just got at Carlisle, and I came across your blog post about the 210 wagon in that color scheme you found in a garage of a widow's house, and restored it. I would not mind seeing a thread here about that car. It sounds like, though, you don't own that car, anymore.

Another Jim.

Offline Hoss Cartright

• Junior Pro
Hoss,(Jim),

Looks, and sounds like you were,(are) a big motorhead, like I was (am to a degree), and are around the same age as me (late 1957). Your period built NASCAR models are really beautifully well done, and are definitely welcome on this thread. That Mercury Cyclone is really neat. On a different note, I was searching the internet about Sierra Gold, and Adobe Beige 1957 Chevys for information on painting a "new" AMT 1/16 scale kit up with this color scheme that I just got at Carlisle, and I came across your blog post about the 210 wagon in that color scheme you found in a garage of a widow's house, and restored it. I would not mind seeing a thread here about that car. It sounds like, though, you don't own that car, anymore.

Another Jim.

Thank you for the kind compliments. As a teenager, it was Nascar and 1/35th military that I modeled.

I am a huge Richard Petty fan. Back in those days they didn't make paint ready-mixed in "Petty blue" which was a frustration for me. I didn't have an air-brush at that point, just used a rattle-can.

Yes, the 1957 wagon, I flipped it for crazy money. I also sold my white/white 1965 Impala SS (327 300 horsepower automatic bucket seats with factory A/C.) I just can't get motivated to restore another car. It took me a year to do the 1959 Impala and my time at this point in my life is best used for easier adventures.

And I also sold my Sierra Gold - Adobe Beige 1956 Belair last summer as well. Kind of been thinning the herd these past few years.

Fan of original patina items. - List of my 'riders'
72 P15-9 Paramount - Kool Orange
72 P13-9 Paramount - CHROME
72 Sports Tourer - Kool Lemon
72 MERCIAN VINCITORE
73 P10-9 Paramount - Silver Mist
81 Super LeTour - Satin Black/Red
95 BOB JACKSON 
04 Cannondale R600

Offline Schwinndemonium

• King of the Mountain
 I got this model back in 1977 from Ex-El Products, a division of Jo-Han Models of Detroit for what would be now a song, as their Wisteria Metallic '69 Cadillac promo models is the most in demand color to collectors out there, today. I detail painted it by painting on a white vinyl top, and painting all the bright metal trim on the body. Also did a really crappy white paint job on the interior box as well. As such, back in '77, I did not do a good job, so I tried to rectify the damage I did to this model last week. It looks better than it did. I just picked up another one of these at the GM Nationals at Carlisle in June for what amounts to over 1300% of what I paid for this first one in '77. Boy, times have changed in the prices of these old plastic dealer promo's!

First two pictures are of the model that I got and detail painted in 1977. The second two pictures are of the "new" model that I got at Carlisle two weeks ago at the GM Nats. These were never re-issued after the model year run that is molded on the licence plate areas on the bumpers of these models.

Jim.