Author Topic: Last Chicago made Varsity  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Mrtidy

• Training Wheel
Last Chicago made Varsity
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »
So if someone wanted to buy the final Chicago-made model of the venerable Varsity, (not the last one actually made, but the last model year) what year would that be? If the factory closed in 1982 (was it 82?) were they working on '83 models? 82? 81?
Was a 82 varsity significantly different from a 1961 or 1973 Varsity?

Offline skydog

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: Last Chicago made Varsity
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
1982 would have been the swan's song for the Chicago Varsity. Check the catalogs above for the various changes.
1963 Schwinn Superior 22"
1982 Schwinn Continental 24"

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »
I think they came out of the Murray plant.

Bob

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
Murray used the same equipment (that they bought from Schwinn).  I think the difference is in the BB shell (maybe more).

You might have to search BikeForums to find the discussion.

Bob

Metacortex

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I think I found the discussion you describe here. The Murray built frame does look a little different around the BB, and the chainstays lack the distinctive slag rings found near the BB on the Chicago built bikes. The seat tube to top tube junction also looks different, although the photo there isn't very clear. Very interesting though!

Offline bartcycle

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »
I think that Murray used the Electo forged head joint with the Murray bottom bracket.  The stays seem to be thinner.  The Murray built bikes didn't use the Ashtabula fork.  They used a tubular fork with pinched dropouts.  They also switched to Murray rims.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
The EF equipment was bought by Murray and moved to Lawrenceville, Tennessee. They made Varsity, Continental, a couple of Stingray style bikes. I've read that Murray was already making the balloon tire Cruiser bikes before the Chicago plant closed. I read that while I was doing some research on the 1995 Phantom Reproduction at the time. I also uncovered the 5000 Phantom Reproductions were made in Ontario California in the Aeorcycle Factory under the Supervision of Ted Kirkbride. I found the information here. http://www.google.com/

Offline Echo_Delta

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:28 AM »
Jennifer... That link does not go anywhere.  If you have a moment please let me kow where you found ithe info on the 95's.. Thanks!  Don
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed (Sold)
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport
1974 Blue Paramount

Offline schwinnman67

• Global Moderator
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
The Lil'Chik that I'm redoing for my grand daughter is a Murray built bike. The only real Schwinn looking things on the bike are the frame and grips. Seems they used a lot of their own parts when building these.
Too many to list....

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Don, here is the thread on the Phantom Repops.

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=9266.15

The rest on the Murray produced Schwinn bikes was seen in passing while doing the search for information. I never bookmarked the pages so I put the Google link up so that if anyone else was interested they could find the information the old fashioned way.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Murray+built+Schwinn&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1