Author Topic: Krate sissy bar shocks  (Read 2149 times)

Offline blwnmny

• Skids and Wheelies
Krate sissy bar shocks
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »
I was wondering if any of you krate owners have heard, or know of a way to stiffen up the shocks on your old krate? I've heard such things as garage door springs? also someone had springs custom done. he was probably a machinest, I don't know... but I was wondering if any of you had great ideas on how you have or would replace those old wore out ones, with something much stiffer? any suggestions? thanks. chris ???
GO SF GIANTS! 2014,2012,2010  W.S. CHAMPS!!

Offline Derek

• Skids and Wheelies
Re: Krate sissy bar shocks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »
So this is a few years old and I see it has been read a lot with no responses. I just bought a set of what is called Adult Krate shock springs, on ebay. I think they are pretty new and I am just getting ready to put them in. They claim a larger wire diameter and come with larger bushings that will allow a little tuning if needed. Pretty hopeful and I think for pretty cheap a guy could just add a large spacer to give it some preload but if as advertised these should be great and pretty affordable.

Offline JenniferC

• Administrator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »
Pictures and a report on how that worked out will be required. ;D

Offline Derek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
Oops I meant to do that. I did take pics before installing. This is one of those things that I can't believe in all these years is just now available.
But I think thus is going to work well. They are a slightly larger wire gauge, a few more coils and shorter springs with a larger top spacer. I can say in the shop ut feels great. In Iowa so it may be awhile before getting to ride it.
Also does Schwinn mention any maintenance on the shocks? This took me alot of hours degreasing hard grease. They now feel like new and I am thinking with the nylon spacer they could be maintenance free or a thin spray at most if squeaking?
I think i'll need to get pics on computer then add, it works if I take a pic while resonding but they are installed now.

Offline Derek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
Pics

Offline kahoys

• Training Wheel
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:15 PM »
They sell those springer kits, I bought a kit and hack sawed very carefully one replacement spring in half and added 1/2 of a spring to each whole spring on each side, worked like a charm.

Offline Derek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:24:31 AM »
Sounds like alot of extra work for what may not work as well. I would hope somethought went into the new spring design and so far they seem right on. Also those parts are about the the same cost as they currently sell the Adult springs for 24.95 shipped.

Although I considered  just adding a large nylon spacer for preload that would probably be fairly inexpensive if they are available at a LHS, they may be custom made also.

Probably what would help more than a stiffer spring is adding dampers, now that sounds expensive to keep the original look and I wonder how many are Riders as compared to Collectors. The originals did feel a little dumpy if that works. But I also plan to lose 30 pounds, should help on the hills :)