Author Topic: Fender Rolling 101  (Read 78098 times)

Offline Gunner3456

• Green Jersey Winner
Re: Fender Rolling 101
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Wow, some good stuff here.

Remember, when removing a dent, the dented metal is stretched. It's necessary to shrink it back, or the dent just grows in area, putting ripples all over.

Jeff's inner roller has a gripping surface kind of like a smooth file. That way when the smooth rounded wheel rolls over the outer surface, the inner wheel is "non-skid" so the the rounded outer wheel can compress the steel. This is what a hammer and dolly is all about. You don't just knock the dent down, you support it on the back side over an area larger than the dent so you are smashing the metal back into itself.

The wheel from a weight set is a great idea for lightweight bikes, but I'd want gripping support on the back side. I'd be looking for something like a truck mud flap to put the fender on. That should do some gripping on the larger area of the fender as the dent is pressed back in. That should help to shrink the metal, maybe?

Cliff

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:36 PM »
The wheel from a weight set is a great idea for lightweight bikes, but I'd want gripping support on the back side. I'd be looking for something like a truck mud flap to put the fender on. That should do some gripping on the larger area of the fender as the dent is pressed back in. That should help to shrink the metal, maybe?
Hmmm ... I like the way you think!  I knew I should have jumped out and snagged that new looking Prime trucking flap on the side of the road on the way to work last week.   :-\

Bob

Offline Papa Dent

• Training Wheel
Re: Fender Refinishing
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
I have a project going that I thought I would share with those who might be interested in fallowing it.
I am refinishing a set of fenders for a friends coppertone custom late 1965 Panther. He sent a set of nice fenders with very few dings which I rolled out,

Here is a really cool tool for the guy with damaged fenders, chain guards and other related parts to roll out dents including stainless or chrome trim. It is simple to use. You can see the tool and how it works at www.papadent.com or search papa dent on youtube. I have one and I love it Check it out.

Here is a brief discription:

The most common method of dent repair utilizes hammers, dollies, metal rods and body picks to push the dents out from the underside of the body panel. These tools are imprecise, stretch the metal and are hard on the hands. Growing tired of using these old methods, Mark Boice found himself wanting a tool that was precise, easy to control and delivers fast and accurate dent repairs.

With this motivation, Mark created Papa-Dent. This handheld tool is the first of its kind and incorporates several tools into a single, portable device. The problem of having to deal with so many different tools is now solved. It?s lightweight, durable, and has many different tool bits that are easily changed to help the user repair a wide range of dents, no matter the material, location or angle.

Offline Bikes42

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Champion
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
I have a project going that I thought I would share with those who might be interested in fallowing it.
I am refinishing a set of fenders for a friends coppertone custom late 1965 Panther. He sent a set of nice fenders with very few dings which I rolled out,

Here is a really cool tool for the guy with damaged fenders, chain guards and other related parts to roll out dents including stainless or chrome trim. It is simple to use. You can see the tool and how it works at www.papadent.com or search papa dent on youtube. I have one and I love it Check it out.

Here is a brief discription:

The most common method of dent repair utilizes hammers, dollies, metal rods and body picks to push the dents out from the underside of the body panel. These tools are imprecise, stretch the metal and are hard on the hands. Growing tired of using these old methods, Mark Boice found himself wanting a tool that was precise, easy to control and delivers fast and accurate dent repairs.

With this motivation, Mark created Papa-Dent. This handheld tool is the first of its kind and incorporates several tools into a single, portable device. The problem of having to deal with so many different tools is now solved. It?s lightweight, durable, and has many different tool bits that are easily changed to help the user repair a wide range of dents, no matter the material, location or angle.

Very interesting! Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum!

Tad
1959 Radiant Green Tiger, 1961 Radiant Blue Varsity, 1966 Violet Super Sport, 1967 Sky Blue Paramount P13, 1971 Burgundy Super Sport, 1972 Flamboyant Red Paramount Tandem, 1972 Opaque Green Super Sport, 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer, 1973 Opaque Blue Continental, 1973 Opaque Blue Super Sport, 1986 Scarlet/Black Super Sport, 1987 Ice Pink Prelude, 1989 RWB Prelude, 1991/92 Serotta Colorado LT, 1993 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 2008 Opaque Blue Madison, 2017 Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64

Offline BobHufford

• Grand Champion
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »
Papa Dent,

Welcome to the forum!

Bob

Offline younggun85

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »
I remember talking about this a long time ago on the old schwinn forums and ever since I have used a thick peice of rubber and a wood ball with a 12oz hammer you tap as you roll the ball and do about an inch long area at a time.

Offline oldebikes

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
would like to see a picture of one