Author Topic: Phantom Repops  (Read 5239 times)

Trooper50

Re: Phantom Repops
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
something makes me wanta say they have the(fake) weilded "ridge"? on the bottom bracket
(i know i'm way outta my league here ...but i had to say it) :-[

I think you're correct. The weld flash or slag on the chainstays is put there to look like a gennie frame. The b/b is investment cast not stamped and I believe brazed to the other tubes.I had a copy of an article written in the mid 90's about the construction of these bikes.It came from a member of the other forum by the name of Prescottmountainbiker,I probably misspelled that. I'll take a look for it later but couldn't find it last time I looked. Maybe the guy I got it from will see this.

Pat

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:56:51 AM by Trooper50 »

Trooper50

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
"No China bikes" That sign will be prominently displayed.

I wish you well,but to stay in business,even with $5.00 coffees,you'll have to perform service work on any bike that walks in the door and all of your parts will be coming from China or Taiwan. I can't imagine you turning down any  business? I know of 2 local "Classic Bike dealers" and they would have been long gone for not servicing and selling parts for Chinese and Taiwanese bikes.

Pat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:31:35 AM by Trooper50 »

Offline Dan D

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

I wish you well,but to stay in business,even with $5.00 coffees,you'll have to perform service work on any bike that walks in the door and all of your parts will be coming from China or Taiwan. I can't imagine you turning down any  business? I know of 2 local "Classic Bike dealers" and they would have been long gone for not servicing and selling parts for Chinese and Taiwanese bikes.

Pat

Unfortunately that is probably true, unless Jennifer's business is gonna be more of a hobby than a true get rich business (the hobby version is much more enjoyable, and sometimes ends up doing better in the long run )

A friend who owns a schwinn bike shop says he makes his money fixing the walmart bikes, don't make much selling the schwinns, but fixing walmart junk keeps him and an employee busy.

Dan   
My bikes: 1958 black/red Deluxe Hornet , 1962 3 spd. black Traveler, 1974 3 spd. chestnut brown Suburban, 1977 sky blue Paramount & a 1991 red Schwinn Cross-fit.

Offline larrylowe

• Training Wheel
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
Brand new still in the box 1949 Schwinn Black Phantom Replica.

Schwinn Black Phantom 100th Anniversary. This beautiful reproduction of the classic 1949 Black Phantom is difficult to find. Only 5,000 of these Black Phantoms were made in 1995, and originally sold for $3,000.
Before Schwinn built a singe Black Phantom, they had to buy a million dollars worth of tools. Each Phantom was painstakingly resurrected right down to a barely visible seam in the bottom bracket - a cosmetic flaw that disappeared with rolled tubing but was included in the new casting for authenticity's sake. Built by hand in the United States.   Black Phantom comes with Schwinn Phantom Springer Fork complete with Schwinn "Cyclelock" Steering Lock Mechanism, 2-Tone Paint; Hand Applied, Pinstriped and Scalloped using Original 1950 Masking Tools, Persons Phantom Leather 3-Spring Padded Saddle, Schwinn Phantom Tank with Horn, Chrome Steel Fenders, Rear Carrier and Front & Rear Lighting, Schwinn Typhoon cord whilte walls.

i thought i had seen this ...somewhere
found this on a ebay listing (smies to self)

Harvie

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
The prices for the repops are non currently running from a low of 650 to

Harvie

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
1750 brand new either in or out of the boxes. That should say something

Offline OBrider

• Green Jersey Winner
  • 1963 Custom Racer
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Jennifer, I was in my LBS yesterday. We had talked on the phone the day before. He was anxious for me to come in and see the Phantom he had assembled for a customer who was able to get it when he was the owner of the bike shop. He is going to ask if it is for sale and if so, the price. He will call me and let me know. If I get the call, I will let you know. I actually don't want the bike. I would worry myself silly trying to be sure it didn't get dusty, or scratched. Something like that would fit your plans perfectly.

I have no earthly idea of when it was built, or by whom. We will cross that bridge when, and if, we get to it.

OBrider
Have a GOD day.

Harvie

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
The selling price for the "verified" new repops over the last 2 weeks has been from 600 out of the box, 700 -750 and 850 in the box for black models and Reds go for 900-1K greens have not seen one sell over the net. With plenty sitting out there for 1200-1500 not selling

list price 3K most dealers would cut to 2200

It has to be because of THE oBaMmA rEvIvAl  ::)

Offline bartcycle

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
The Phantom repop frames were made in America and the rims came from Hungary.  The seat was American and most of the other parts were made in Taiwan.  The main problem with the repop parts was the thin chrome that would crack.  Some of the Phantom frames were made into Cruiser Deluxe 7 bikes.

Offline Scott_Fe

• Training Wheel
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
I had one of the phantom replicas back in the late 90s and thought it was pretty nice.  They really made an effort to make it look authentic, down to the double knurls on the S-2 rims.  If I was disappointed, I'd say it was in the use of chrome on the fender supports and other pieces that were cad plated on the originals (even if cad plating was not an option, they could have come up with something more "old-timey"). The seats were disappointing as well, esp. the "leather".  Oh yes, the Typhoon tires too seemed not to fill up the fenders enough (as through they were more "low profile" than the originals)? OK, the pedals were also "funky" (esp. the "teeth" sandwiched under the end caps, presumably to keep the blocks from turning), though I do recall they gave the customer a second set of blocks without reflectors.

Anyway, I thought the project overall was a labor of love, despite these nits. 

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
Anyway, I thought the project overall was a labor of love, despite these nits.   

I agree and the man in charge Ted Kirkbride, production manager at AeroCycle Inc. deserves some whole hearted thanks for going to all that painstaking trouble in recreating a very memorable piece of Schwinn history.

Offline kos22us

• Training Wheel
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the info Rec. The whole point of my questions is that I want to buy a 1995 Anniversary or possibly an orginal. I want it because I am retiring in just a few short years and I want to open a small shop for repairing and do some selling and or trading of vintage bikes and I want something classy in the what might be considered a small showroom or if I'm lucky enough, a front window. No new bikes, maybe a few single speed rentals like some recently produced Worksman or something similar. "No China bikes" That sign will be prominently displayed. The plan is coming together  little by little and I should be ready to go into operation before I retire to get things up and running. There are many details I need to work out. One of them is being able to identify these reproduction Phantoms so if I buy one I'm not getting ripped off. They aren't cheap if they're the real deal.  :)

post something when your store is open for business, im right above Harrisburg and my girlfriend and i love road trips ... and coffee
my girlfriend said " its me or the bikes " ... i'll miss her

Offline silvercreek

• Skids and Wheelies
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
What angers me are the sellers that take advantage of unsuspecting potential buyers. I had to do everything except threaten someone with a law suit if they sold me a bike that wasn't a genuine original vintage Schwinn Phantom before he would finally tell me it was a reproduction. He kept insisting because it had a certificate that it was authentic but it turned out to be a 1995 model.
The value of our lives comes not in what we do or whom we know, but by who we are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20832064@N03/sets/

1954 Schwinn Phantom
1954 Schwinn Jaguar
1976 Takara Grand Touring
1976 Raleigh Technium
1976 Raleigh Sports
1978 Schwinn Paramount P13-9
1998 Raleigh SC30

Offline bargainguy

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »
My LBS -- a Schwinn dealer for 40+ years -- has a policy of no service work on mass-market bikes except for replacing tires/tubes.  They get a lot of guff for this but in the end, it actually saves them money and aggravation from trying to fix bikes that are essentially not repairable unless they replace cheap parts with decent ones, and cheap bike owners usually don't want to spend the $ for rebuilding those bikes anyway. 

Now as far as not selling Chinese bikes, well, they're also a GT/Specialized/Giant dealer, so they can't claim they're not selling them.

Jennifer, best of luck with your shop.  Something I've dreamt of also but for now, I'll settle for being a "shade tree" rebuilder.  There is so much overhead involved with running a shop that I'd have to do a ton of work just to break even, so it doesn't make sense for me financially.  They have a running joke at the LBS:  "If you want to make a million in the bike shop business, start with two million."

Don

Offline bartcycle

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
is a shame that there are no American bikes anymore except a few over $3000 bikes.  Most come from China and a few from Taiwan.