Author Topic: Phantom Repops  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Time Master

• Junior Pro
Phantom Repops
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
 Are the 95 Phantoms a good quality? I found a brand spanking new one at a bike shop near me and it looks to be built really well. It`s for sale. What is a fair price? Any Help?
Tim

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • King of the Mountain
Re: Phantom Repops
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
Here's what I found out about the 1995 Phantom reproductions.

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=9266.15

I still have not found a way to authenicate them. There were 5000 made and there is probably that many for sale right now. Many of the ones for sale are made up of China frames and repop parts. I'm still searching for a way to assure that the bike you are buying is actually one of the Onatario California built "real" reproductions. Most of the ones I have seen are going for anywhere from $800 and up. One thing I do know is the ones still in the box should have two boxes, an outside shipping box and a reproduction of the original Phantom shipping box. Anyone that knows more about these bikes feel free to chime in.

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
  • BCC-TN
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »
Make that 4999 for sale. I'm holdin' on to mine. (For now anyway)

I think they are pretty well done too. I have bought a lot of the sold off pieces of other ones to use on other projects.

REC
Board Certified Cycle-Truck Nut

sportyrb

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
Was there anything specific regarding the serial numbers of these bikes that would distinguish them from say, the 1995 Schwinn Cruiser 6 that I own? At the prices these bikes are going for (I saw at least one offered at $2500) I can see where there might be a temptation to create "clones" as has happened in the markets for 1960s muscle cars.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
Was there anything specific regarding the serial numbers of these bikes that would distinguish them from say, the 1995 Schwinn Cruiser 6 that I own?

Nobody seems to know the answer to that very question. With all the fakes out there it's imperative that it be known how to authenicate the bikes.

Rec, if you were to sell your bike and the buyer asked for such information how would you prove yours is the real thing?

Offline REC

• Junior Pro
  • BCC-TN
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
Was there anything specific regarding the serial numbers of these bikes that would distinguish them from say, the 1995 Schwinn Cruiser 6 that I own?

Nobody seems to know the answer to that very question. With all the fakes out there it's imperative that it be known how to authenicate the bikes.

Rec, if you were to sell your bike and the buyer asked for such information how would you prove yours is the real thing?

I believe that the frames are slightly different than the other model bikes. The fellow I bought mine from also had a different model from '95, and it didn't look the same at all (to me anyway) - the front downtube appeared to have a slightly different bend. He offered it to me as well, but for $150. I noticed that the fenders and the light on the front were also different. Other things I noticed: paint scheme was not the same, different chainguard, different wheels and "classic" whitewall tires. These are supposed to be the only Phantom models that were truly identifiable according to the ad hype from the initial set of advertisements and promo stuff. It seems there were two number stampings but I can't say for sure as I didn't look. I DO know the s/n I recorded though - G001691. It seems there was an additional number that was much longer on it too. I just don't remember for sure, but I am sure it is the real deal though.

I have not looked to verifiy it, but there is supposed to be some different stamping under the bottom bracket. Mine is in the middle of a bunch of other bikes in a row in the shed, and the next time I pull enough stuff out to get to it, I'll see what's under there.

REC
Board Certified Cycle-Truck Nut

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
Thanks for the info Rec. The whole point of my questions is that I want to buy a 1995 Anniversary or possibly an orginal. I want it because I am retiring in just a few short years and I want to open a small shop for repairing and do some selling and or trading of vintage bikes and I want something classy in the what might be considered a small showroom or if I'm lucky enough, a front window. No new bikes, maybe a few single speed rentals like some recently produced Worksman or something similar. "No China bikes" That sign will be prominently displayed. The plan is coming together  little by little and I should be ready to go into operation before I retire to get things up and running. There are many details I need to work out. One of them is being able to identify these reproduction Phantoms so if I buy one I'm not getting ripped off. They aren't cheap if they're the real deal.  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:33:33 PM by JenniferG »

Offline larrylowe

• Training Wheel
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:56:59 AM »
something makes me wanta say they have the(fake) weilded "ridge"? on the bottom bracket
(i know i'm way outta my league here ...but i had to say it) :-[

Offline PhantomRick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
Serial number's run from G000001  to G005000  4,500 Black and 250 each of the Red and Green
It's not what you do, it's who you are.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »
Thanks Phantom Rick. That's the answer I've been seeking. It had to be that simple. I've seen a seller claiming to have a certificate of authenticity with the bike. The serial number will do though.

Offline chris-y777

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:21 AM »
Well Jennifer for sure let us know when you get your store up and running. I'm sure that most of us here will support you. That would be such a cool thing. Chris
Thank goodness for this forum. I'd be lost without it.

Offline PhantomRick

• Green Jersey Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
Hi Jennifer:

The Certificate has the serial # on it and should match the number on the bike.
It's not what you do, it's who you are.

Offline Dan D

• King of the Mountain
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »
I want it because I am retiring in just a few short years and I want to open a small shop for repairing and do some selling and or trading of vintage bikes and I want something classy in the what might be considered a small showroom or if I'm lucky enough, a front window. No new bikes, maybe a few single speed rentals like some recently produced Worksman or something similar. "No China bikes" That sign will be prominently displayed. The plan is coming together  little by little and I should be ready to go into operation before I retire to get things up and running. There are many details I need to work out. One of them is being able to identify these reproduction Phantoms so if I buy one I'm not getting ripped off. They aren't cheap if they're the real deal.  :)

Very cool Jennifer !  Your gonna be living all of our dreams with that plan  ;)  best of luck with your plans, we all support you.
Dan
My bikes: 1958 black/red Deluxe Hornet , 1962 3 spd. black Traveler, 1974 3 spd. chestnut brown Suburban, 1977 sky blue Paramount & a 1991 red Schwinn Cross-fit.

Offline JenniferC

• Owner
  • King of the Mountain
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »
Thanks fellas and thanks again Phantom Rick. My little shop won't be open every day and I will choose which bikes to work on. I also plan to have a small coffee shop attached that I will serve good coffee (everyone at work loves my coffee, I make it for my guys at work) and maybe a bit of expresso but none of those fancy caramel/vanilla/mocha kitchen sink brews or freezy things, just hot coffee for the morning and maybe some expresso and biscotti for the afternoon. Vintage bicycles and caffeine that's my business model so far ;D (I do have other details though)

Online Echo_Delta

• Owner
  • Grand Champion
  • Don Plesser
    • PR Factory Store
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 02:32:09 AM »
(I do have other details though)

Good luck with the store!!!!  I can hardly imagine you with "details" though.... ::) ;) ;D :D ;D :D

I have a friend that has a sign on his motorcycle shop...

Open 11:00ish
closed 7:00ish

Mine has one that says...

Hours by appointment.
1939 Maroon New World
1954 Black Phantom
1955 Blue Corvette 3 speed
1961 Black Corvette 2 speed
1968 Blue Mini Twinn 2 speed
1970 Red Fastback
1972 Mens Burgundy Super Sport
1972 Ladies Burgundy Super Sport